Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,666 of 3,671
Is the sound from Momentum 2 Over Ear and Momentum Over Ear Wireless identical when the wireless is used with cable?

No. I think some posts on here suggest it is, but that was not my experience. M2 wired sounds a bit aierer and sweeter. Wireless seem to have a slightly different sound, which might simply be due to the extra weight of the physical cups and the slight increase in impedance. Difference is slight , but I thought noticeable. Still considering whether to get the M2 wired. Problem is, the are plenty of very good wired headphones around that price point that I'd want to listen to first.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,668 of 3,671
No. I think some posts on here suggest it is, but that was not my experience. M2 wired sounds a bit aierer and sweeter. Wireless seem to have a slightly different sound, which might simply be due to the extra weight of the physical cups and the slight increase in impedance. Difference is slight , but I thought noticeable. Still considering whether to get the M2 wired. Problem is, the are plenty of very good wired headphones around that price point that I'd want to listen to first.

After having both...I agree. Wired the wired version has a better sound signature than the wireless version wired...passive or active. Damn confusing....
confused_face(1).gif
I thought I was only one that thought so.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,669 of 3,671

Did you also try the M2 wireless via USB & its internal DAC versus the normal M2 wired?

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,670 of 3,671
Anyone know if the Momentum 1.0 cables are compatible with the 2.0 ones? I managed to break my cable (and for some reason Sennheiser no longer provides a replacement cable in the v2.0).

The closest relatively cheap cable I could find (w/ remote control) is this one:
http://www.amazon.de/Replacement-Remote-Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphones/dp/B00SOFXW0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430075326&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+cable

I actually went to the Sennheiser website, they only seem to offer v1.0 replacement cables, and at **ridiculous** prices. It's just such a shame they would do this, I would expect this kind of pricing schemes with Beats but not Sennheiser.. Sigh. :/

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,671 of 3,671

Did you also try the M2 wireless via USB & its internal DAC versus the normal M2 wired?

No. Only ever corrected to my Macbook Air via BT.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,672 of 3,671
Academicbarzo have you still got your wireless M2 or have you returned them?

No, I returned my third pair and that's me done with the wireless. Just too many issues for me.

I suppose I'm going to get accused of trolling now, but I am just sharing my experiences with the M2 wireless. When they work, they are amazing BT headphones. Sadly, at least for me, that meant using them wireless around the house only, as the combination of stuttering BT when out and walking about and the thumping/fluttering of the ANC on public transport meant a passive, wired connection was the connection of choice outside. I was just not happy with that level of compromise in use for such an expensive portable headphone.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,673 of 3,671
  Anyone know if the Momentum 1.0 cables are compatible with the 2.0 ones? I managed to break my cable (and for some reason Sennheiser no longer provides a replacement cable in the v2.0).

The closest relatively cheap cable I could find (w/ remote control) is this one:
http://www.amazon.de/Replacement-Remote-Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphones/dp/B00SOFXW0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430075326&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+cable

I actually went to the Sennheiser website, they only seem to offer v1.0 replacement cables, and at **ridiculous** prices. It's just such a shame they would do this, I would expect this kind of pricing schemes with Beats but not Sennheiser.. Sigh. :/

Didn't see where  you are located, but in the USA, the replacement audio cable from Sennheiser is only $13.47 and about $6 shipping. Here is the  note from Sennheiser USA..
--------------------
Thank you for contacting the Sennheiser Technical Support team.

The audio cable you are looking for is the 552704 AF cable / 3.5mm stereo jack $13.47

This is the one without an in-line microphone or control, and can can be purchased here-
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories

-------------------------------

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,674 of 3,671
No, I returned my third pair and that's me done with the wireless. Just too many issues for me.

I suppose I'm going to get accused of trolling now, but I am just sharing my experiences with the M2 wireless. When they work, they are amazing BT headphones. Sadly, at least for me, that meant using them wireless around the house only, as the combination of stuttering BT when out and walking about and the thumping/fluttering of the ANC on public transport meant a passive, wired connection was the connection of choice outside. I was just not happy with that level of compromise in use for such an expensive portable headphone.

Nah, nobody is going to accuse you of trolling. In fact, just the opposite. Speaking for myself, I ALWAYS want to hear all the CONS of a product I am interested in from real users, not reviewers.. A lot of us, like myself are only getting the experience you get when you state "they work".. And it seems our environment may be different is the reason we don't get the stuttering and BT issues..

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #1,675 of 3,671

I will test both BT models next weekend and I will post my impressions in my two threads (see my signature).
When I will hear how they sound I could also tell you which other ones (of the ones I have tried) could please you.
But the best would be if you come to my thread (the ANC one, if you absolutely want an ANC headphone, or the Comparison one if you would eventually also be happy with a non ANC one) and tell us more about what did you like/dislike in their sound and why.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,676 of 3,671

After having both...I agree. Wired the wired version has a better sound signature than the wireless version wired...passive or active. Damn confusing....
confused_face(1).gif

Not surprising given that the M2 wireless has all the electronics packed into the earcups.  I would expect some difference in sound between the wired and wireless as a result.  

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,677 of 3,671

confused_face(1).gif

Not surprising given that the M2 wireless has all the electronics packed into the earcups.  I would expect some difference in sound between the wired and wireless as a result.  

I have heard comments directly to the contrary, as is, the wireless version of the M2 sounds exactly like the wired version when wired.

Maybe Giogio can gives a better explanation of this..   

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,678 of 3,671

I have heard comments directly to the contrary, as is, the wireless version of the M2 sounds exactly like the wired version when wired.

How could I answer, without having tried any of the Momentum, wired or wireless?
I may answer in one or two weeks, when I get the wireless and with them I can go to a shop and compared them (in wire mode) with the wired.

Generally speaking it is not uncommon at all that the BT headphones sound better in wireless mode.
Mr Chunbeng, the designer of the Pendulumic Stance S1+, who also designed many headphones for Sennheiser (also wireless ones) explained to me that it is always a challenge to tune the sound signature of the headphones so that it sounds more or less the same in all modes. It is much more difficult than what you can think.
I also would think "yes, but after all the wired passive is just the pure headphones, bypassing all the BT circuitry, so that if the drivers are the same of the wired, they should sound the same".
But apparently it is not so.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,679 of 3,671

I have had the M2 wired and wireless. I made a mistake and returned the wired M2 because I was able to get the wireless for the same price. Logic told me they would be the same in wired mode so I thought why not have the option of BT as well. I was mistaken, there are sound differences between the wired and wireless(passive or active). I have returned the wireless ones and repurchased the wired version.

Sorry if you see this posted elsewhere it has come up on 3 different threads today so I copied and pasted my reply.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,680 of 3,671

Yes, yes they are!

Didn't see where  you are located, but in the USA, the replacement audio cable from Sennheiser is only $13.47 and about $6 shipping. Here is the  note from Sennheiser USA..
--------------------
Thank you for contacting the Sennheiser Technical Support team.

The audio cable you are looking for is the 552704 AF cable / 3.5mm stereo jack $13.47

This is the one without an in-line microphone or control, and can can be purchased here-
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories

-------------------------------

The cable with the inline remote is the ridiculously expensive one, at almost the price of a new Momentum On-Ear 1.0 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back