Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,621 of 3,671
  Just got these headphones last friday, and am LOVING Them.  Dumb question(s) but...

My BT charge was running low, so I tried using them wired for the first time (plugged into iPhone 6+).  The music was playing onscreen, but nothing was coming through the headphones.

And...

How do I turn on/off the noise cancelling once I start using wired?

A layman answering.. On the M2, when you go wired, the NC is off by default. If you turn the M2 while wired, then the NC comes on.

On the music playing on the screen, and nothing coming from the headphones, I would FIRST check both connections. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,623 of 3,671
  Use your M2 without the V4A enhancement; without any enhancement at all actually. Make sure your audio is also of good quality/mastering, then report back here. Someone said the Momentum cans sucked compared to some Philips cans (~$80 I believe), but they sampled with Imagine Dragons' Night Visions, a poorly mastered album so the Momentums were more revealing and less forgiving on the quality.

EDIT: Whoops, read that assuming that you had the M2's already and had that issue. In my experience, I'd drop that whole enhancement thing out of personal preference. Usually an artificial boost is not preferred, and not many of them are done that well (IMO).

I would disagree with you on this point. No headphone is just right out of the box for everyone's ears. I also believe that there are some headphones that might not be quite right at first, but with some eq or enhancement they could be perfect for someone's ears. If it is a good headphone, it will lend itself to correctly eq'ing to enhance the part of the sound that one wants (for their preferences). For instance, the Bose AE2W have decent overall sound, but are recessed in the mids, and one can't eq that part very well. Sure you can crank up the mids with eq, but afterwards the mids will be louder, sure, but they won't sound natural at all. Good headphones (in my experience) will still sound good even after tweaking some.  

I use V4A and I love it. This is one of the best (if not THE best) apps for Android that one can install for sound enhancement. I don't use it for my M2's however, because they don't need it IMO, but I use it with almost all other headpones I have (even if I only to use it for the volume boost it gives) found that (with Samsung phones) "Adapt Sound" is the BEST enhancement you can use (to my ears), but it doesn't work with bt. It only works when wired, and only using the stock music player app.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,624 of 3,671

I would disagree with you on this point. No headphone is just right out of the box for everyone's ears. I also believe that there are some headphones that might not be quite right at first, but with some eq or enhancement they could be perfect for someone's ears. If it is a good headphone, it will lend itself to correctly eq'ing to enhance the part of the sound that one wants (for their preferences). For instance, the Bose AE2W have decent overall sound, but are recessed in the mids, and one can't eq that part very well. Sure you can crank up the mids with eq, but afterwards the mids will be louder, sure, but they won't sound natural at all. Good headphones (in my experience) will still sound good even after tweaking some.  

I use V4A and I love it. This is one of the best (if not THE best) apps for Android that one can install for sound enhancement. I don't use it for my M2's however, because they don't need it IMO, but I use it with almost all other headpones I have (even if I only to use it for the volume boost it gives) found that (with Samsung phones) "Adapt Sound" is the BEST enhancement you can use (to my ears), but it doesn't work with bt. It only works when wired, and only using the stock music player app.

More power to you guys if it does indeed sound better to you. After all, this is mostly subjective! I might give EQ'ing another chance now, hopefully with a program that lets me choose which frequencies rather than the iOS ones.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,625 of 3,671
  More power to you guys if it does indeed sound better to you. After all, this is mostly subjective! I might give EQ'ing another chance now, hopefully with a program that lets me choose which frequencies rather than the iOS ones.

That is the very point I was getting at. I assume you are using a portable DAP? What are you using, Android or iOS? If you are using Android, give Viper4Android a try. It has some very nice features. For the M2s, I like to only enable volume boost (as I find the M2s in BT mode too quiet), but it has a whole lot of other stuff you can use also. Or, you can just use the eq feature it has. The link is: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

If you are still using iOS there is an app called Equalizer. It is a full featured music player that has awesome eq options. Rather than trying to explain it all, check out https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer/id321267949?mt=8

I find that the Galaxy Note 3 sounds somewhat flat to me without some eq or at the very least using Adapt Sound. And, I also find that the iPod Touch sounds bad (except with some lower end headphones) too. The built-in eq settings suck very much. I like accurate sound from headphones for the most part, but 100% neutral makes the music sound boring to me, so adding some eq is a must for me.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,626 of 3,671

That is the very point I was getting at. I assume you are using a portable DAP? What are you using, Android or iOS? If you are using Android, give Viper4Android a try. It has some very nice features. For the M2s, I like to only enable volume boost (as I find the M2s in BT mode too quiet), but it has a whole lot of other stuff you can use also. Or, you can just use the eq feature it has. The link is: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

If you are still using iOS there is an app called Equalizer. It is a full featured music player that has awesome eq options. Rather than trying to explain it all, check out https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer/id321267949?mt=8

I find that the Galaxy Note 3 sounds somewhat flat to me without some eq or at the very least using Adapt Sound. And, I also find that the iPod Touch sounds bad (except with some lower end headphones) too. The built-in eq settings suck very much. I like accurate sound from headphones for the most part, but 100% neutral makes the music sound boring to me, so adding some eq is a must for me.

I'm on iOS still for my portable audio. I've taken a look at Sound Focus but it hasnt been that helpful. Hmm, maybe one day I'll take a shot at that app but I'm not ready to spend three bucks on an app yet!

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,627 of 3,671

Finally I have a user who has M2 and V4A.. 
normal_smile .gif
 Could you please help me answer my question..

You said you only enabled volume boost on V4A for M2, Could you also please enable the option 
"Dynamic system" and 
set listening device to "Common Earphone(v2)" and
"Select Dynamic Bass" to 0.

Also select Viper Bass(Natural/60hz or 66hz/boost: 10db) and Viper clarity(Natural/3.5db) and set the volume to 80 to 85% and see if the bass is fine at that volume ??

It should be steady and the volume shouldn't get sucked in when the bass hits..Thats what I hate on the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 headphone and I wanted to check before I buy the M2..thanks.

PS: For test track you can try "Decaf- White Clouds" 

These settings could be totally out of your liking preference but its what I like out of any sound system I listen to...lol

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,628 of 3,671
All you need is a usb pen drive with Yosemite 10.10.2, reboot and press CMD + R (restore mode) until it shows the black screen with a white apple.
Then all you need is to install over the 10.10.3 drive and it will downgrade to the OS version inside the pen drive.

Thanks for the tip.

I saw 10.10.4 beta is being seeded now. Does anyone know if this fixes the problem?

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,629 of 3,671
  Finally I have a user who has M2 and V4A.. 
normal_smile%20.gif
 Could you please help me answer my question..

You said you only enabled volume boost on V4A for M2, Could you also please enable the option 
"Dynamic system" and 
set listening device to "Common Earphone(v2)" and
"Select Dynamic Bass" to 0.

Also select Viper Bass(Natural/60hz or 66hz/boost: 10db) and Viper clarity(Natural/3.5db) and set the volume to 80 to 85% and see if the bass is fine at that volume ??

It should be steady and the volume shouldn't get sucked in when the bass hits..Thats what I hate on the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 headphone and I wanted to check before I buy the M2..thanks.

PS: For test track you can try "Decaf- White Clouds" 

These settings could be totally out of your liking preference but its what I like out of any sound system I listen to...lol

Setting up V4A in this manner certainly does do just what you described (using the M2 in wireless mode). I Normally have mine set to somewhere near there for all of my other headphones (except the bose SIE2I, which require max bass, and 12 clarity to sound decent).

Since I noticed that it indeed does this when the bass hits, I decided to try these settings on my Bose AE2W in BT mode (only other aptx bt headphones I own), and it did not do this. I'm wondering if this is due to the compression that the electronics uses. Both hp are aptx enabled, so I'm not totally sure. I also noticed that they didn't do this when I listened to the same track, with the same settings, with the M2 in wired mode... Try some other headphones with those settings, and let me know if you have this issue with them as well. Call me now curious.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,630 of 3,671

Setting up V4A in this manner certainly does do just what you described (using the M2 in wireless mode). I Normally have mine set to somewhere near there for all of my other headphones (except the bose SIE2I, which require max bass, and 12 clarity to sound decent).

Since I noticed that it indeed does this when the bass hits, I decided to try these settings on my Bose AE2W in BT mode (only other aptx bt headphones I own), and it did not do this. I'm wondering if this is due to the compression that the electronics uses. Both hp are aptx enabled, so I'm not totally sure. I also noticed that they didn't do this when I listened to the same track, with the same settings, with the M2 in wired mode... Try some other headphones with those settings, and let me know if you have this issue with them as well. Call me now curious.

Thanks for testing the settings on the M2, 

Yes I have already listened to it in wired mode and there's no issue..the sound is perfect..

I also tested this in another bluetooth earphone which I own, "Sony Smart wireless headset pro"                                               
which sounds great with no issues at high volume.

As you said I guess its a limitation with respect to Bluetooth(aptx/non aptx mode) on these headphones(Sony MK2 and Senn M2).

Its really frustrating since the cheapest "Smart wireless headset pro" is reproducing the sound perfectly on bluetooth while the pricier Sony 1RBT MK2 is not.

So I guess I have to buy the Bose AE2W since you said there's no issues on them, but how is the sound clarity compared to the M2's ? Does it have good low end ? Does it sound great if we tweak it with V4A in all the areas it requires?

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,631 of 3,671
After a few days of use I've decided that while I'm not exactly thrilled with the bass, everything else is pretty sweet and I'll probably keep them. There's just too much bass and it's not tight. I think the looseness of the bass accentuates the actual boost in an unflattering way. I  eq'ed the bass down a bit which tightened things up. 
I can deal with the bass issue but there's one problem that might make me return these. Connectivity while walking around is rough. I don't know if it's a Bluetooth issue or a ANC issue. I'm leaning ANC issue but I'm not sure. My feeling is when the mics pick up wind noise, even just walking into a slight breeze, it can throw the noise canceling for a loop causing static and skipping. When used in my apt, my office or in the subway the connection is fine, but if I'm walking down the street it's no bueno. Or it could be a Bluetooth connectivity issue when my phone is in my pocket. Not sure if this is a design limitation or there's something wrong with my pair.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,632 of 3,671
Connectivity while walking around is rough. I don't know if it's a Bluetooth issue or a ANC issue. I'm leaning ANC issue but I'm not sure. My feeling is when the mics pick up wind noise, even just walking into a slight breeze, it can throw the noise canceling for a loop causing static and skipping. When used in my apt, my office or in the subway the connection is fine, but if I'm walking down the street it's no bueno. Or it could be a Bluetooth connectivity issue when my phone is in my pocket. Not sure if this is a design limitation or there's something wrong with my pair.

Your experience re BT same as mine, with three different pairs of M2 wireless. So, its not your particular pair of M2 that is at fault, . This was one of the major reasons I returned them, albeit reluctantly, having given it three shots. Simply too expensive to have such basic flaws, imho. Ironic that they are marketed as commuter headphones, but they were only suitable for use inside without a wire.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,633 of 3,671
So anyone looking for rock solid BT connection, great sound, and stylish light headphone....get the parrot zik2.0!!! Just picked them up, and wow! Love them! Only issue is batt life...but I have extra battery. These things are better than the m2's and symphony 1's.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,634 of 3,671
So anyone looking for rock solid BT connection, great sound, and stylish light headphone....get the parrot zik2.0!!! Just picked them up, and wow! Love them! Only issue is batt life...but I have extra battery. These things are better than the m2's and symphony 1's.

Tested both M2s and Zik 2.0 and i must say the Parrots come up better for sound by miles!!! Just that damn battery life :weary: Holding out for the Sony ABTs now :smiley:

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,635 of 3,671
  After a few days of use I've decided that while I'm not exactly thrilled with the bass, everything else is pretty sweet and I'll probably keep them. There's just too much bass and it's not tight. I think the looseness of the bass accentuates the actual boost in an unflattering way. I  eq'ed the bass down a bit which tightened things up. 
I can deal with the bass issue but there's one problem that might make me return these. Connectivity while walking around is rough. I don't know if it's a Bluetooth issue or a ANC issue. I'm leaning ANC issue but I'm not sure. My feeling is when the mics pick up wind noise, even just walking into a slight breeze, it can throw the noise canceling for a loop causing static and skipping. When used in my apt, my office or in the subway the connection is fine, but if I'm walking down the street it's no bueno. Or it could be a Bluetooth connectivity issue when my phone is in my pocket. Not sure if this is a design limitation or there's something wrong with my pair.

I think the majority 

You are on roll!!! 
biggrin.gif

"These things are better than the m2's and symphony 1's.",

I will stick my layman's neck out there and say, the majority would disagree with that statement. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back