Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #227 of 3,671
I use IPhone 6 primarily and always with Spotify. Also I know everyone hates Beat Studio (wireless) but they are loud. Are these as loud?

AFAIK iPhone 6 does NOT have Apt-x, which means that you are double compressing your files (in BT mode) if you are not listening to lossless music from it. If you ARE, then it will BE compressed, which will be like listening to 128 mp3's (making that up to show you my point), sound quality-wise. For Apt-X headphones to sound like they were meant to sound, you need Apt-X codec on both ends (the source, AND the headphones).

I have not used the iPhone 6, but I have an iPhone 5 and an iPod (same generation), and I can tell you that the output seems to be louder than the Sammy phones (Don't quote me on that, I haven't researched the specs, but just listening to the same headphones between the 2, the iPod/iPhone is much louder overall).

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #228 of 3,671
  Oh man you got the exchange rate wrong. 1 AUD = 0.77 US 

which amounts the former figure to around 700AUD ish i assume

try custom cable uk store i think it was a bit cheaper than this

You are right... It is actually .7830.... so converting $499+$45 (USD) that comes to $734.33 AUD

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #230 of 3,671
The new momentum 2 over the ear wireless has me so tempted. I like the fact the ear cups are larger, and that it folds up, to be nice and portable. Can one buy a balanced cable for the Sennheiser Momentum 2? Hope everyone has a great night jamming out.:)

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #231 of 3,671
Well, the Sennheiser 2.0s have a larger sound stage than the 1.0s. 
The wireless headphones are easier to drive over the cable when Bluetooth/NC is on.

The noise cancelling is good enough for daily use; in the train, busy streets, etc
I'll be going to put 'em up to the QC25s in a few hours.

200% better than the Momentum 1.0s already.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #232 of 3,671
The wireless headphones are easier to drive over the cable when Bluetooth/NC is on.

The noise cancelling is good enough for daily use; in the train, busy streets, etc

I've owned the Qc25 and now own the M2. I think the NC is SLIGHTLY better on the QC25 but it's completely a trade off on the sound of the M2. Basically the NC goes slightly to QC25 but as far as quality of sounds not even close the M2 is much better

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #233 of 3,671
Also, for the people with the same size ears as me (6.50 cm height and 4 ish cm width):

After using them for three hours straight I haven't experienced any pain or discomfort. They are a dream.
Just make sure to position them on your head the right way.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #234 of 3,671
A fact that has not been discussed too much, is the USB connectivity option - when connected to a computer, the headset is recognized as a USB audio device - using them this way might be an interesting alternative if you occasionally need to use them on a computer that has no aptX support or just a typical noisy PC sound output. 

I can only hope that if Sennheiser modifies the firmware to allow for disabling ANC manually, so I can give the internal DAC a good listen without ANC.  Does anyone know the make/model of the built-in DAC?

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #236 of 3,671
  A fact that has not been discussed too much, is the USB connectivity option - when connected to a computer, the headset is recognized as a USB audio device - using them this way might be an interesting alternative if you occasionally need to use them on a computer that has no aptX support or just a typical noisy PC sound output. 

I can only hope that if Sennheiser modifies the firmware to allow for disabling ANC manually, so I can give the internal DAC a good listen without ANC.  Does anyone know the make/model of the built-in DAC?

I had not considered using them in this fashion yet, though I DO remember reading that they can be used this way. I have searched around, but I cannot find the DAC used in these. Ill have to try the manual and see if it is listed there...

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #238 of 3,671

Originally Posted by Vindication

I've owned the Qc25 and now own the M2. I think the NC is SLIGHTLY better on the QC25 but it's completely a trade off on the sound of the M2. Basically the NC goes slightly to QC25 but as far as quality of sounds not even close the M2 is much better

Yeah, and it doesn't appear to lose sound quality when switching on the ANC while listening. That is a huge plus for me.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #239 of 3,671
Well I also have the Note 3 and the Momentum Wireless get much louder than I need (with phone at max volume). I'm listening to them now only 2 clicks above volume min.

As an aside, the lady's voice isn't annoying! - for volume min/connected/disconnected announcements. Not sensual or anything, but not annoying either. Just very middle of the road, non annoying english accent.
All bt voice notifications I'd heard before were an annoying american woman.

I wish they'd put some soft padding on the top - because of the curvature it only really comes into contact at the very top of my head, and the padding is very hard. Not sure why they didn't use the lovely neoprene stuff they use on ear cups.

Having said that, they're very comfortable on the ears.

Compared to the samsung level over - which are a bit more like beats wireless, etc. in physical design, they clamp the head a lot less. Very soft on the ears, and a lightweight pair of headphones for what they are.

In terms of ANC they seem a little less than the Samsung's maybe, but the Samsung's isolate a bit more naturally as they have a tighter/heavier fit on the ears.
With the Samsung's I'm concerned about my ears getting hot - not so with the Sennheiser.
ANC performance is very similar though.
And to put that into perspective, the Samsung's are considered to perform very well for ANC (not as good as QC25 or Parrot Zik 2.0, but close).
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

I really wouldn't say the ANC produces a hiss. More a warm very quiet white noise. Similar to what you naturally hear anyway when it's very quiet (at least I do).
I'm very sensitive to noise and it doesn't bother me.

The Samsung's produce more white noise I think with ANC on.

Annoying neither fully block my laptop noise - but the fan is giving off some high frequency noise I think.

I do think they could have just added an ANC button to be honest.
Also, the multi function control works surprisingly well - but it's maybe doing a bit too much.
Two taps for skip forward is fine. But 3 to go back is getting a bit too much effort I find.

The Samsung's have a touch panel, like the Zik 2.0 and those Sony's mentioned. Works very nice, it's quiet swish. Although sometimes I had issues restarting music which made we want a physical button then. Also you need to do a double tap to play/pause - on the ear cup, which you obviously hear. So a button for start/stop if preferable I think. But swiping for volume and next/prev track is nice. Having said that, there's a precision about physical controls - which is nice for volume too. I'd be a bit worried about blowing my ear drums with a dodgy swipe up.

Sennheiser seem to have better bass too. Obviously expecting better sound but think I can hear it.

Will the Note 3 use apt-x by default? So I should be getting good quality via bluetooth? Not used them wired yet.

As for style. they really look lovely - I think the bigger ear cups look better than the previous momentum's - which just looked a bit weird with these tiny connical egg like cups.
Would be nice if they did the Momentum Wireless in brown though - liked that best of the Momentum 1.0 colours (but the momentum 1.0 black looked crap compared to the Momentum Wireless black).

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #240 of 3,671
Okay, in certain cases the ANC seems a fair bit softer than the Samsung.
Like noisy pipes - the Samsung basically replaced it with a light white noise - so the white noise you hear normally, but increased a fair bit. Like pleasant water or something.

The Sennheiser I still heard a fair bit of the noisy pipe.

So I'd expect the QC25 to be a fair bit better across all frequencies.
Interested in what the QC25 owners think.

I might try the test file from here:
http://www.listeninc.com/us/support/sequence_noise_cancelling_headphone_test.html

Just listening to it out of my speakers with ANC on/off for the Samsung and Sennheiser.

If anyone wants to do that for the QC25 vs Sennheiser that'd be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back