Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #601 of 3,671
  Well, one would think the bulk of energy consumption related to transmission power is on the transceiver side, i.e. the source. According to the Bluetooth wiki, the increase in range from higher sensitivity of the receiving class 1 end is minimal.
And btw, the M2's are rated as class 1.

You're right; I hadn't checked the M2 wireless specs: online manual says version 4.0, class 1.

I know first-hand how frustrating bluetooth can be but I've found it fairly seamless in recent equipment (unlike some 10yr old BT devices I still have).

Based on the issue so many are having with the M2, I wonder if the ANC implementation is part of the issue. I thought it strange that the ANC can't be turned off in wireless mode. Makes me think Sennheiser used a combo BT/ANC chip to reduce the circuitry size, cost, and/or get that high battery life (similar to new laptops were you can no longer turn bluetooth and wifi on/off independently).

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #602 of 3,671
  I wonder if this BT issue is related to the particular software being used to playback media. Now, I am not saying that it HAS to be, but bear with me on my findings for this. 

I am using the Galaxy Note 3. I have found that I have 0 issues when using the stock player (w/Adapt Sound on). It is only when I switch to using Mediamonkey that I find I have some drop out issues. I am assuming that it is not JUST the app at play here, because I don't have those same issues (media dropping, skipping, etc...), when I have my HP wired. It is only when I am in BT mode that I start seeing those drop-outs that everyone else (up until now) have been experiencing. I went back to using stock Samsung player, and again, no drop-outs of any kind. I use this in my house, outside working around the house, and/or in my car, driving 3 (ish) hours a day. I will try another player next. Let's say Google Play Music app. I will try both modes (play only music on device, and streaming). I would really like to get to the bottom of this, but I really don't want to think it is the HP hardware (not that it is NOT possible). I do wish I had a way to eliminate the hardware on the HP. Even though I am not really having this problem, I hate to see others having such difficulties on such a premium set of headphones.

Edit: I forgot to mention that during this whole thing, I also have my Gear 2 connected at all times with my phone via BT.... And, I listen to a combination of flac, ogg, and mp3..... 

My Ivory Wireless' are coming Tuesday, and I have a Verizon Note 3 with a custom rom on it. I too will try to give people, and particularly you, some feedback of different apps and findings as well. Hopefully you and I can help figure out what variables have impacts on signal consistency.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #603 of 3,671
  Does the ergonomic aspect of the new momentum differ from the older version? More specifically, from a stylish perspective, does it makes you look kinda dorky when wearing (no offence)?

Well, in my opinion, if the headphones do not stick out too much on the sides of your head, like the old Momentum or HD25/Amperior line, they would look pretty good on your head.
On the other hand, if the headphones' headbands extended too much, like the Focal spirit classic, Nad Viso hp50, I think these headphones looks less stylish even though they do sound amazing.
I don't usually care about how headphones look as long as they sound good, but this time I am buying a pair for my girlfriend and I am really afraid she might not like it because of how it looks.  

I am asking this question because I saw a review video on youtube (well not sure if it has been posted here yet so I'll put the link down anyway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBpXagnsLJ8

The lady in this video wears the momentum wireless at 6:57 and from what I can see, it looks like momentum wireless's headband is longer due to the folding/hinge mechanism and the ear pads look thicker which ultimately make the headphones looks bigger on the head and leaves bigger gaps on both sides of the head(just like the Nad Viso hp50 when worn). 

Still, I am not sure if it is because of the angle of the video or just the way it actually looks. Hope some of you guys can give me more advise :)
beerchug.gif

First of all I noticed that the Momentum in the video seems to be a little stretched out judging by how far apart the earcups are at rest. Mine touch each other when not in use. Also, I wouldn't worry so much about looking awkward while wearing them because a) the metal band is very thin and not as noticeable head-on as some other headphones and b) the design is gorgeous any way you look at it.

Yes, there is a gap between one's temple and the headband, but there are very few over-ear headphones without one. If you're very concerned about the size on a small head and are already comfortable with this price range, I'd suggest looking at the Bang&Olufsen H8.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #604 of 3,671
Quick update on my M2 Wireless.

- Having broken them into a little over the last four days, I feel the bass is more adequate than I previously stated and I'm perfectly happy with it. There is now nothing I can complain about with regards to sound quality, they are simply superb-sounding all-round. Also, contrary to my earlier assessment, there is indeed a slight but noticeable improvement in quality over a wired connection. EQ adjustments in my Z3's Walkman app are also more pronounced over wired.

- My "unusable" issue when having my PC and phone connected simultaneously was unfounded. I discovered the hiccups were due to the "New Tab" screen in Chrome, which meant my PC was actively listening for me to say "OK Google". The Momentums actually handle multiple devices wonderfully seamlessly; I can be playing music from my phone and it will pause it when I play a video in YouTube on my PC, then automatically resume my phone's music once the video ends. Also, having three devices connected at once does not degrade the music streaming experience.

- I tested an FLAC file with my Z3 and there was no difference in wireless connection quality versus a compressed file. However in the first place I would point out that there is really no point streaming uncompressed music over Bluetooth as you will not notice the difference over a 320kbps MP3 anyway, even with aptX.

- My general Bluetooth connection issue is still present and I will have to replace my set if no updates are planned. Stuttering can happen randomly even with my Z3 being right in front of the headphones.

- Battery life is simply exceptional, I have never used another Bluetooth device with such incredible longevity.

- Took my first call with the headphones today and the microphone is solid. (Also love the British lady's "call ended" announcement.)

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #605 of 3,671
*** SENNHEISER MOMENTUM WIRELESS vs BOSE QC25 for airplane use ***

Most would agree that the momentum wireless is generally better in sound quality.
Most would also agree that Bose Q25 is better in active noise canceling.  If anyone
has used both of these models in flights, please advise me on which one to buy for
airplane use.   For home, I currently have a Sennheiser HD700 and a Denon HD600.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #606 of 3,671
My Ivory Wireless' are coming Tuesday, and I have a Verizon Note 3 with a custom rom on it. I too will try to give people, and particularly you, some feedback of different apps and findings as well. Hopefully you and I can help figure out what variables have impacts on signal consistency.

That would be awesome! I look forward to hearing your findings using different scenarios.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #607 of 3,671
Hi guys, I don't really have the time to read through 41 pages to find the answer but do the new larger pads fit the old momentums driver housing or is the whole driver housing larger on the new 2.0's? Thanks so much

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #608 of 3,671
Hi guys, I don't really have the time to read through 41 pages to find the answer but do the new larger pads fit the old momentums driver housing or is the whole driver housing larger on the new 2.0's? Thanks so much

driver housing is larger...

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #610 of 3,671
Just got a pair of BT M2's and joined this forum to share my experience with bluetooth headphones. I also use Plantronics FIT for gym and have no interruption issues with them.

As to the BT interruption issue on M2, I have a LG G3 with lollipop/5.0. Have inttermittent music drop-out. Any distance, also tried factory reset and other ROMs.

So I went and disabled APTX and voila. No more interruptions. I assume the APTX implementation is buggy either on Sennheiser's or Google's side.

Anyway, try disabling APTX for lag-free wireless music.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #611 of 3,671
iPhones don't even have aptx and the BT connection problems still exist.

Took both the M2 Wireless and the Plantronics Backbeat on my flight yesterday and while NC of the Sennheiser is a bit better by cancelling the noise, the difference wasn't as big as I had hoped for. Probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't paid extra attention.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #612 of 3,671
As to the BT interruption issue on M2, I have a LG G3 with lollipop/5.0. Have inttermittent music drop-out. Any distance, also tried factory reset and other ROMs.

So I went and disabled APTX and voila. No more interruptions. I assume the APTX implementation is buggy either on Sennheiser's or Google's side.

Anyway, try disabling APTX for lag-free wireless music.

How did you disable aptX? I haven't found such an option on my Sony Z3 (running KitKat). Is it specific to LG's ROM?

Also, if it is indeed an aptX problem, I doubt it's the phone's fault because I have near-flawless streaming with my aptX-enabled JBL/Nokia PowerUp speaker.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #613 of 3,671
I guess disabling aptx gives your devices the option of using medium bitrate SBC (229 kbps), which would require less signal strength (but of course deteriorate SQ).

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #614 of 3,671
I use special code on my LG G3 to access BT settings, 3845#*855#. I guess it has to do with bitrate, as someone noted that iPhones do not have APTX and the intermittent signal issue still exists. Lower bitrate = no interruption, at least that seems correct to my non-engineering rule-of-the-thumb experienced guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back