Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #619 of 3,671
Quick question: when you guys talk about M2's, I'm assuming you mean the 'around ear' version - it took me 10 minutes looking on the Amazon and Sennheiser websites to find out there both wireless 'around' and 'on' ear versions!!

Is one difference between the 'around' and 'on' the material of the pads (apart from size obviously :D)?

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #620 of 3,671
Quick question: when you guys talk about M2's, I'm assuming you mean the 'around ear' version - it took me 10 minutes looking on the Amazon and Sennheiser websites to find out there both wireless 'around' and 'on' ear versions!!

Is one difference between the 'around' and 'on' the material of the pads (apart from size obviously
biggrin.gif
)?

Yes that is one difference and the on ears would not, more than likely cover the entire ear.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #621 of 3,671
  Ok something weird is going on, because it feels like for half of the people it works great and the rest have constant connectivity problems.

Questions @ those that have problems with their BT connection:
 - Do you use uncompressed high resolution FLAC/WAV files?
 - What device are you using to play your music from?
 - Does your device support apt-x?

Question @ those that have no issues:
 - Do you use compressed audio files MP3 320 or lower?
 - What devices are you using to play your music from?
 - Does your device support apt-x?

I'm currently deciding whether I should get the wireless or the standard wired ones.

My theories for the issues:

- lousy QC on Sennheisers part
 - people are trying to play uber high resolution files with a device that has only a class 2 BT transmitter and no apt-x support (e.g.: iPhone 6)
 - badly shielded USB 3 in close proximity

I'm fairly sure the type of audio file, whether it be FLAC, WAV, whatever the bitrate is, etc. has nothing to do with Bluetooth transmission and signal reliability. Any audio from your Bluetooth audio device (phone) is going to be transcoded with whatever codec (and bitrate) the two devices can mutually agree upon, whether it is aptX or SBC or whatever. Headphones are not being sent native audio data; if so they would need to be able to decode FLAC, MP3, or whatever dozens of audio codec standards. High resolution audio, low resolution audio, none of it matters.

Headphones that support aptX do so as a bonus; the aptX (per advertising) is supposed to offer a higher bitrate among other benefits. However, the headphones most certainly fall back to the (sufficiently competent, IMO) SBC codec when aptX support isn't mutually supported.

I don't have the Sennheiser Momentums, though I own several Bluetooth headphones, and it seems to me that connectivity problems tend to come from bad antenna implementations (on either device), bad Bluetooth software stacks, and also -- general RF interference. The 2.4 Ghz spectrum that Bluetooth occupies has a ton of other traffic, from Wifi, wireless telephones, microwave, and other things.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #622 of 3,671
Dont know if this was already noted.. but i thought I had read somewhere that Macs dont support the Aptx codec, but my 2013 retina with Yosemite has the aptx codec running with the Momentums paired. listening to compressed mp3s i couldn't tell a difference between my iPhone and the Mac, with hi-res files I can notice slightly clearer audio.. The presentation with either is very intimate (lacking soundstage) front row center sound. 

I havent noticed considerable dropping of my signal with my iPhone 6 or Mac, i noticed it a few times during start up but afterwards it would be ok. 

So are we able to install a firmware update on these headphones? Does anyone know what the new firmware is supposed to fix - if there is an update.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #623 of 3,671
Yes according to the manual it supports firmware update through USB. No updates available.

As a local store had a 25% discount today, I went ahead and ordered them. Worst case if I experience the connection issues I can return them or resell at the same price.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #624 of 3,671
Macs are AFAIK actually the only Apple hardware that do support APTX. Maybe because they're competing with Windows PCs? Whatever, sucks being at the mercy of Apple. Wish it would be possible to implement APTX into iPhones by using a jailbreak tweak or something.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #626 of 3,671
A Norwegian store which explicitly state they do not accept international orders.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #628 of 3,671
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and I've found lots of good info here over the years, thought I'd try and give at least a little back.

I received my ivory Momentum Wireless today. They are pretty gorgeous, but you all know that.

I've been doing some random testing here and there as I've been spooked by all the talk of issues on this thread. 

I've tried bluetooth on my laptop (retina macbook pro), my desktop (hackintosh) and my iPhone 6.

All of these run a mix of iTunes, Spotify (hi quality settings) and Tidal. 

On both computers if I get more than about 10 foot away I start to get some drops and connection issues. However, I've never had my bluetooth connection be much better than that with all my wireless equipment. I have similar issues with my Jambox and Logitechs with bluetooth. They all don't do well at range, however, they are all older BT implementations as well.

My phone I get a bit better as long as there are no walls in the way. I can be all over my spare room (about 30x16 with desk in the middle lengthwise) with a decent connection, maybe a pop here and there if I'm moving a lot.

Now, my use case works for the Momentums since I rarely don't have my phone in my pocket (just hate dealing with the cable) and when I'm using my computer I just want to be able to move around without a cable getting hung or catching me when I'm moving to the makerbot or printer.

I have not testing them outside yet, but can report back as soon as I do.

The cabled connection is stellar and sounds very similar to my Momentum v.1s I do feel like the bass is a little more forward on v.2s, but overall very similar sound signatures. The USB connection also works great and seems to have more volume.

I'm so, so, so, so, so, so much friggin' happier with the ear cup size than I was with my V.1s and quite honestly it's the biggest reason for my purchase. However, they are just big enough. They definitely didn't go overboard on the resize. I could have taken another couple mm. ha.

I've also been flying a lot for work and I'm hoping to be able to take these with me (since they fold) and use the noise canceling. 

A few folks have asked for some photos on the head for size reference, so I'm adding those as well.

Keep in mind two things:

1. My head is gigantic
2. I'm not a handsome man

If needed I could bring my v.1s home tomorrow and take comparison photos for size.

Thanks everyone, and I hope this helps!

Edit: Appears I can't add photos yet, so adding a dropbox link – 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icgdmx2g1xr6tm7/IMG_6888.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1tp68nkmcrcgk3/IMG_6887.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkbqv8ojl5gk864/IMG_6889.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/accm5wzvs8km9lc/IMG_6890.JPG?dl=0

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #630 of 3,671
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and I've found lots of good info here over the years, thought I'd try and give at least a little back.

I received my ivory Momentum Wireless today. They are pretty gorgeous, but you all know that.

I've been doing some random testing here and there as I've been spooked by all the talk of issues on this thread. 

I've tried bluetooth on my laptop (retina macbook pro), my desktop (hackintosh) and my iPhone 6.

All of these run a mix of iTunes, Spotify (hi quality settings) and Tidal. 

On both computers if I get more than about 10 foot away I start to get some drops and connection issues. However, I've never had my bluetooth connection be much better than that with all my wireless equipment. I have similar issues with my Jambox and Logitechs with bluetooth. They all don't do well at range, however, they are all older BT implementations as well.

My phone I get a bit better as long as there are no walls in the way. I can be all over my spare room with a decent connection, maybe a pop here and there if I'm moving a lot.

Now, my use case works for the Momentums since I rarely don't have my phone in my pocket (just hate dealing with the cable) and when I'm using my computer I just want to be able to move around without a cable getting hung or catching me when I'm moving to the makerbot or printer.

I have not testing them outside yet, but can report back as soon as I do.

The cabled connection is stellar and sounds very similar to my Momentum v.1s I do feel like the bass is a little more forward on v.2s, but overall very similar sound signatures. The USB connection also works great and seems to have more volume.

I'm so, so, so, so, so, so much friggin' happier with the ear cup size than I was with my V.1s and quite honestly it's the biggest reason for my purchase. However, they are just big enough. They definitely didn't go overboard on the resize. I could have taken another couple mm. ha.

I've also been flying a lot for work and I'm hoping to be able to take these with me (since they fold) and use the noise canceling. 

A few folks have asked for some photos on the head for size reference, so I'm adding those as well.

Keep in mind two things:

1. My head is gigantic
2. I'm not a handsome man

If needed I could bring my v.1s home tomorrow and take comparison photos for size.

Thanks everyone, and I hope this helps!

Edit: Appears I can't add photos yet, so adding a dropbox link – 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icgdmx2g1xr6tm7/IMG_6888.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1tp68nkmcrcgk3/IMG_6887.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkbqv8ojl5gk864/IMG_6889.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/accm5wzvs8km9lc/IMG_6890.JPG?dl=0
thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back