Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,408 of 3,671
Any aftermarket ear-pads with larger openings? Preferably leather too.

I guess the Brainwavz pads are too large. Maybe mounted on some adapters.

Edit:
Did anyone try these?
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin-leather-angled

Maybe pulled over the cup like here on the right side:

9116922_thumb.jpg

Edit 2:
No, the Momentums cannot be fitted over the cup because of the wires at the top...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #3,409 of 3,671
Hey guys,

I have the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and enjoy its sound (though I do feel that deep bass could be improved).

Like many people, I had issue with the size of its earpads, and did a good amount of research on replacement earpads with no good results. I tried the Brainwavz HM5 angled pads - they fit too loosely and definitely affected the sound.

I decided to try getting custom pads made from Vesper Audio. The process went pretty smooth - I provided them with pictures and measurements of the earpad retaining mechanism of the headphone, along with desired thickness/height/weight dimensions of the earpads. I decided to get all leather earpads with memory foam - as I was hoping that this would change the sound the least.

Default Momentum 2.0 dimensions:
Cavity width: 40 mm
Cavity height: 60 mm
Thinner side pack thickness (on outside): 17 mm
Thicker side pad thickness (on outside): 25 mm

I opted for:
Cavity width: 40 mm
Cavity height: 68 mm
Thinner side: 22 mm
Thicker side: 30 mm

I receive the pads about 3.5 weeks after payment had been made (they have to ship from Belarus).

The pads were nice and well made. Accurate enough to the specifications. I had difficulty putting them onto my M2s since the retaining ring portion was too thick to fit in the slot on the headphones (so forced it in slowly with a collar stay). It took a while, but eventually I got it all in.

The fit was very nice. Unlike the Brainwavz pads, which aren't made for these headphones, the pads fit nice and tight around the cups of the headphone. I feel that a good fit is important in order to get a proper seal. The pads were just deep enough for it to be significantly more comfortable than the stock pads.

The sound, however, still changed! I noticed that the bass actually improved and was quite nice. I don't think I ever got a proper seal on the stock pads since they didn't fully fit over my ears. I felt the bass with the new pads were improved and sounded more full with deep bass notes. Unfortunately, the frequency response of the headphones with the new pads definitely changed significantly. I noticed quite a bit more treble, with a rather large peak around 4-6 khz. I had to apply EQ pretty heavily, but even then it did not sound like the original pads.

Lesson is: I'm gonna stick with stock pads from now on for future headphones, as I feel it always changes the sound unless you know exactly what you are doing (in terms of exterior and interior - type of foam - materials).

Great post! just what I was looking for. Too bad there is no larger ear-pad that can keep the sound intact.

After trying a lot of closed-back headphones in the past years (see my profile), the wired Momentum 2 which I bought last week is my absolute preferred sound signature, with its punchy but not overdone bass, full bodied natural vocals and smooth silky highs. I absolutely love it. Along with the Porta Pro it is the only headphone that I don't have to EQ-tweak to my preference. Sadly if I don't get used to the fit, my search will have to continue. I have 7cm ears, but I think if the pads were at least 6.5~6.7cm they would have been good :frowning2:

What is in your experience the closest sound to the Momentum 2 in a portable headphone with larger ear cups / pads? (Excepting Meze 99 Classics and Neo which I tested but don't like the headband for outside).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,410 of 3,671
Great post! just what I was looking for. Too bad there is no larger ear-pad that can keep the sound intact.

After trying a lot of closed-back headphones in the past years (see my profile), the wired Momentum 2 which I bought last week is my absolute preferred sound signature, with its punchy but not overdone bass, full bodied natural vocals and smooth silky highs. I absolutely love it. Along with the Porta Pro it is the only headphone that I don't have to EQ-tweak to my preference. Sadly if I don't get used to the fit, my search will have to continue. I have 7cm ears, but I think if the pads were at least 6.5~6.7cm they would have been good :frowning2:

What is in your experience the closest sound to the Momentum 2 in a portable headphone with larger ear cups / pads? (Excepting Meze 99 Classics and Neo which I tested but don't like the headband for outside).

I decided to switch to IEMs instead hehe. With IEMs, you don't have to worry about ear fitting, warm or sweat ears, and messed up hair. They also take up much less space. I'm currently using the 1More Quads and really like them.

In terms of over ears - if I had wanted to continue with those, I would have tried the ZMF classics and Shure SRH1540s. Both are suppose to have large comfy ear pads and a warm signature.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #3,411 of 3,671
I decided to switch to IEMs instead hehe. With IEMs, you don't have to worry about ear fitting, warm or sweat ears, and messed up hair. They also take up much less space. I'm currently using the 1More Quads and really like them.

In terms of over ears - if I had wanted to continue with those, I would have tried the ZMF classics and Shure SRH1540s. Both are suppose to have large comfy ear pads and a warm signature.

Thanks!
I used IEMs in the past (SoundMagic E10 and the ones that come with the HTC 10) but they tend to irritate my ear canals, and I don't like that "pressurized" feel of them.
I prefer something like the Portas or PX 100-II for the warm season and use closed over ears only when it gets colder.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #3,418 of 3,671
I'm also looking into larger pads, but as you can see they seem to change the sound pretty drastically, which I don't want as these are the headphones that perfectly fit my sound preference for portable.
Any recommendation for portable over-ears with larger ear cups / pads and same sound signature?

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,419 of 3,671
Is there any way to physically kill ANC? Cut some wire inside or whatever it takes.

These are amazing bluetooth phones, but ANC is too annoying. I listen in pretty silent places so I don't want this vacuum there when I stop playback.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #3,420 of 3,671
You may use them in passive mode without ANC ... but with the cable on.... When i’m tired of the ANC, I just plug the cable and press on the bluetooth button to disable bluetooth and ANC. Unfortunately there is no way to use bluetooth without ANC, but there is a way to use the headphones without ANC... it then becomes the equivalent of the wired Momentum M2 over ears...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back