Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,376 of 3,671
Hey guys,

I have the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and enjoy its sound (though I do feel that deep bass could be improved).

Like many people, I had issue with the size of its earpads, and did a good amount of research on replacement earpads with no good results. I tried the Brainwavz HM5 angled pads - they fit too loosely and definitely affected the sound.

I decided to try getting custom pads made from Vesper Audio. The process went pretty smooth - I provided them with pictures and measurements of the earpad retaining mechanism of the headphone, along with desired thickness/height/weight dimensions of the earpads. I decided to get all leather earpads with memory foam - as I was hoping that this would change the sound the least.

Default Momentum 2.0 dimensions:
Cavity width: 40 mm
Cavity height: 60 mm
Thinner side pack thickness (on outside): 17 mm
Thicker side pad thickness (on outside): 25 mm

I opted for:
Cavity width: 40 mm
Cavity height: 68 mm
Thinner side: 22 mm
Thicker side: 30 mm

I receive the pads about 3.5 weeks after payment had been made (they have to ship from Belarus).

The pads were nice and well made. Accurate enough to the specifications. I had difficulty putting them onto my M2s since the retaining ring portion was too thick to fit in the slot on the headphones (so forced it in slowly with a collar stay). It took a while, but eventually I got it all in.

The fit was very nice. Unlike the Brainwavz pads, which aren't made for these headphones, the pads fit nice and tight around the cups of the headphone. I feel that a good fit is important in order to get a proper seal. The pads were just deep enough for it to be significantly more comfortable than the stock pads.

The sound, however, still changed! I noticed that the bass actually improved and was quite nice. I don't think I ever got a proper seal on the stock pads since they didn't fully fit over my ears. I felt the bass with the new pads were improved and sounded more full with deep bass notes. Unfortunately, the frequency response of the headphones with the new pads definitely changed significantly. I noticed quite a bit more treble, with a rather large peak around 4-6 khz. I had to apply EQ pretty heavily, but even then it did not sound like the original pads.

Lesson is: I'm gonna stick with stock pads from now on for future headphones, as I feel it always changes the sound unless you know exactly what you are doing (in terms of exterior and interior - type of foam - materials).

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3,377 of 3,671
Not sure what happened but it sounds like wireless on iPhone is greatly improved -- maybe AAC support started working, or Apple improved SBC via an iOS update. Maybe even preferable to wired and aptX as it sounds livelier than the former and more natural than the latter.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #3,379 of 3,671
Has anyone else noticed these sound better on iPhone lately? I was listening wired through Tidal on my Mac and am now enjoying the sound even more wirelessly on my iPhone. The tuning is really intended for listening via Bluetooth, and it works well.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,380 of 3,671
Seriously, the headphones sound borderline hi-fidelity wireless from an iPhone. Really nice wireless tuning on these even if they don't use AAC, but I'd still bet it's SBC.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,383 of 3,671
That would be great news I send mine back a few month back because the bluetooth on the iphone was not good at all. Did you do a firmware upgrade on them ?

I emailed Sennheiser and they do definitively use standard SBC. Maybe it was an update on Apple's side that improved SBC compression, or I just got used to the sound. Not having AAC support is still my top complaint with these.

I would just wait to see what happens with 3.0.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3,384 of 3,671
I emailed Sennheiser and they do definitively use standard SBC. Maybe it was an update on Apple's side that improved SBC compression, or I just got used to the sound. Not having AAC support is still my top complaint with these.

I would just wait to see what happens with 3.0.

Unless Apple decided to activate aptx on iPhone I am not sure what happened :). My quest to get a wireless pair of can continues still can't wait to see if blue tooth 5 gets us a momentum that sounds great wireless on Iphone :).

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3,385 of 3,671
I had the wireless a year or two back. Loved the sound, but sold them.. well, because that's what i do.
Last week i decided i was an idiot and bought the beauties again, without regrets.

Now i can't shake the feeling this new pair sound not as good. I remember vocals beeing absolutely beautiful. I feel its something about the upper mids and highs.

Is it just me, or can the same headphones sound slightly different?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3,386 of 3,671
I had the wireless a year or two back. Loved the sound, but sold them.. well, because that's what i do.
Last week i decided i was an idiot and bought the beauties again, without regrets.

Now i can't shake the feeling this new pair sound not as good. I remember vocals beeing absolutely beautiful. I feel its something about the upper mids and highs.

Is it just me, or can different pairs sound slightly different?

My pair make vocals sound fantastic, however, the mid range isn't as well balanced as my 598's.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #3,387 of 3,671
Hello - quick question for those of you with Momentum 2.0 wireless. I got these about a week ago. I note that the earlier 2015 versions had Bluetooth issues. I got these brand new from Amazon and the box does say Rev02 on one of the codes. So I'm assuming no issues.

During the first or second day I had these I noted SOME Bluetooth issue but now I feel it's great. No problems as I walk down the street or anything, no problems on the London underground which have many people with Bluetooth/wireless products and no problem at home.

However, I went shopping on Friday with these on and I went to Selfridges on the lower ground floor. I note this because it was a) underground (one level only) and b) it's an area with a ton of technology. I got a LOT of disturbance. When I took my phone out of the pocket, it was fine, otherwise I could barely listen to the song because it kept cracking. I was passing some laptops and an area with headphones. When I got out of this technology area, it was fine and I haven't had trouble since. I should note, I went to John Lewis in their tech area (5th floor above ground) with no problem.

My question is this: Is this normal? Does this mean I have a set which has Bluetooth issues? Personally, haven't had problems since then and if I only notice a problem around so many products, this is not an issue. it is an issue however if I have a set that has problems.

I have one more unrelated but quick question for those who have had these for a while, does the clamp pressure on the side of your head subside over time? (I have the over ear wireless version). If so, around how long?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #3,388 of 3,671
I just got a pair of the black for ipod M2 wired off Amazon used (like new) for $119.00 (plus about $6 shipping). I received them in 2 days (without Prime) and gotta say they are in "perfect" condition-Like someone got these as a present and returned them after just opening the box. Manual was still in unopened plastic and cable was still secured/wrapped as if it was never uncoiled. Even silica packet in pouch lol. The vendor off Amazon was the Sports Barn. Again $119. Looks like there is still at least one available (of course I'm not sure if that "like new" condition will be exactly as mine).
These things sound great-I think it finally hit my sweet spot of having a headphone that has some bass and mids warmth with a clear treble that is not too harsh but still quite revealing. Not to mention they look amazing!

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,389 of 3,671
Hello - quick question for those of you with Momentum 2.0 wireless. I got these about a week ago. I note that the earlier 2015 versions had Bluetooth issues. I got these brand new from Amazon and the box does say Rev02 on one of the codes. So I'm assuming no issues.

During the first or second day I had these I noted SOME Bluetooth issue but now I feel it's great. No problems as I walk down the street or anything, no problems on the London underground which have many people with Bluetooth/wireless products and no problem at home.

However, I went shopping on Friday with these on and I went to Selfridges on the lower ground floor. I note this because it was a) underground (one level only) and b) it's an area with a ton of technology. I got a LOT of disturbance. When I took my phone out of the pocket, it was fine, otherwise I could barely listen to the song because it kept cracking. I was passing some laptops and an area with headphones. When I got out of this technology area, it was fine and I haven't had trouble since. I should note, I went to John Lewis in their tech area (5th floor above ground) with no problem.

My question is this: Is this normal? Does this mean I have a set which has Bluetooth issues? Personally, haven't had problems since then and if I only notice a problem around so many products, this is not an issue. it is an issue however if I have a set that has problems.

I have one more unrelated but quick question for those who have had these for a while, does the clamp pressure on the side of your head subside over time? (I have the over ear wireless version). If so, around how long?

Thanks!
I took mine into a Best Buy after I got them and had the same problem, so it has to be all the Bluetooth and wireless signals inside the store.I have had issues with them outside in midtown Manhattan, but haven't used the headphones in a while due to the warmer weather.

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,390 of 3,671
Has anyone else noticed these sound better on iPhone lately? I was listening wired through Tidal on my Mac and am now enjoying the sound even more wirelessly on my iPhone. The tuning is really intended for listening via Bluetooth, and it works well.

On your iphone, are you using Apple Music? And this is over Bluetooth?
I know someone else asked but I'll ask again (sorry), did you do a firmware update on these? Without one would there be any improvement? And these don't update automatically I think (correct?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back