Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 3, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #2,851 of 3,671
Hi, I found this thread, the most informative thread about M2 AEBT.

I have just joined this family. However, I have some issues regarding the microphones.

1.  In wireless mode, there is only one microphone on the left/front seems to be picking up my voice. I tested this by approaching to each microphones on the ear cups. Can anyone confirm this?

2. When I wirelessly connected to my macbook, in the Audio MIDI settings, I can see M2 AEBT listed there as input and output devices. However, the input format is 8000.0 Hz with only 1ch-16bit integer while the Macbook built-in input has 2ch-24bit integer. (see attached capture) Is this normally supposed to be, or anyone confirm with me? 

Please see the image...

May 3, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,852 of 3,671
Hi,

M2 Wireless has three speech microphones, all three are used to pickup the voice. But there is some DSP signal processing involved to obtain some directional beam forming. This is the reason that you are tricked to think only one is picking up the voice. 

It sounds like the wireless link between your Macbook is setup as a SCO link. This is properly the reason it reports 8 kHz sample rate. 

Cheers
Flemming

May 3, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2,854 of 3,671
One more quick update regarding the "REV01"

If your M2 original box carries a label "20141118REV01", that does not mean yours are affected by the bluetooth interfering issues.
The S/N on the other hand tells the manufacturing date, and this info carries more valuable information. So better check with support.

Mine comes with REV01, but the manufacture date is in DEC 2015, pretty new from product line.

May 3, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #2,856 of 3,671
  Glad I found this thread, almost picked up a pair until I started reading about all the BT issues.  I'll hold out for a definitive fix or see what reviews have to say about the ATH-MSR7-NC.

What fix are you looking for? The REV02 seemed to fix almost all the issues. For me it did.

May 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,858 of 3,671
  How's the microphone quality over phone call, skype and whatsoever?

It sounds like you're talking through a telephone.

Strangely, this is absolutely unacceptable to some. People are expecting studio-quality recordings.

I've never had a single complaint from someone I was talking to.

May 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,859 of 3,671

Strangely, this is absolutely unacceptable to some. People are expecting studio-quality recordings.

Hmm, the input microphone is only 1ch-16bit, and I can't blame it...Thanks for the sharing.

May 3, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,860 of 3,671

I don't see anything on mine, but I have kinda loose sliders on my pair so there might be minor imperfections in the process. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with what I have and if there are finish issues, I'll contact Sennheiser through warranty. 

As a side note, after two listens, I'm already very impressed. I usually hate active noise cancellation, but this is really well done. I used to chase the best headphones, and gave that up several years ago, but dipped back in for these. I'm glad I did. 

May 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,861 of 3,671
What fix are you looking for? The REV02 seemed to fix almost all the issues. For me it did.

But people, like me, are still reporting issues. It may very well be a YMMV type situation - you take a gamble with wherever you live & whatever your source device is. I've been back and forth with their tech support and they've offered to take a look at my headphones, so rather than just return them, I may send them to Sennheiser instead. When I listen indoors, they sound amazing. The difference in sound quality between wired and Bluetooth is very close. I very badly want to keep these, if the Bluetooth is fixed and I can listen outside without interruptions. But if they're still not fixed when they come back to me, I probably can't return them to the store & would have to sell them here or eBay.

Concerning to me is that a $500 pair of headphones has these quality issues, when other BT headphones at over half the price do not. Maybe we need Giogio to start testing Bluetooth headphones outside, too? :D

May 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,862 of 3,671

+1

But people, like me, are still reporting issues. It may very well be a YMMV type situation - you take a gamble with wherever you live & whatever your source device is. I've been back and forth with their tech support and they've offered to take a look at my headphones, so rather than just return them, I may send them to Sennheiser instead. When I listen indoors, they sound amazing. The difference in sound quality between wired and Bluetooth is very close. I very badly want to keep these, if the Bluetooth is fixed and I can listen outside without interruptions. But if they're still not fixed when they come back to me, I probably can't return them to the store & would have to sell them here or eBay.

Concerning to me is that a $500 pair of headphones has these quality issues, when other BT headphones at over half the price do not. Maybe we need Giogio to start testing Bluetooth headphones outside, too?
biggrin.gif

I DO agree with you, but remember that these are/were kinda' first run of their type. I agree that there SHOULDN'T be ANY issues at this price point. But, given what all they can do, and how much battery life they have (and the claims are absolutely true), I could see this happening. Sennheiser are right on the edge of technology with these (almost thinking further than the tech of the time). I for one have had hardly ANY issues with my rev1 OR rev2's. 

Sorry that you are still having issues, and hope you can get it straightened out, because they ARE fantastic sounding headphones. BTW, don't forget to add USB audio to the mix (along with wired, and BT). They sound absolutely fantastic over USB! Using the DAC of the headphones (like with BT), but without the limitations of BT bandwidth. This is really only noticeable with any (well recorded) music over 320 mp3, because the M2 are very forgiving anyhow. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with what I have and if there are finish issues, I'll contact Sennheiser through warranty. 

As a side note, after two listens, I'm already very impressed. I usually hate active noise cancellation, but this is really well done. I used to chase the best headphones, and gave that up several years ago, but dipped back in for these. I'm glad I did. 

I have no finish issues (that I have noticed) on either pair that I own. Plus, I have had a pair since the very beginning, and at one point used them daily (even slept with them on), and I have had 0 quality (or finish) issues. Well, at one point I had a problem with the BT circuit not working at all, but somehow I managed to get them working again (and they have been working great ever since). 

Welcome to the club! I agree with you about noise cancelling. Usually I stay away from it because it normally kills sound quality, but in this case I think they they are very very good even with it on.

May 7, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,863 of 3,671
Bought a pair of used Sony MDR-1RBT for $150 on Amazon, can compare now. Oddly enough, 1RBTs are better in every possible way. They look amazing, controls are better, way more comfortable for home listening, miles ahead Momentums in terms of comfort - very soft, 1RBTs get, say, 10, Momentums - I don't know, 6 (?) - they are way too hard here and there, earcups are way too small and they're overall very tiresome. In terms of sound I don't know I must be deaf but I don't hear any difference, 1RBT sound very good to my ears, mostly better then momentums. Noise cancellation doesn't really matter - if anything, it only hurts. The only advantage left is built in DAC (I've used USB wired Momentums in skype because HSP profile is 8 khz and I dont want to sound like a grammophone), yeah, good feature, but not essential if you have an external mic. I recommend 1RBT over Momentums at any time, especially for home use (TV, games, etc.).

May 7, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,864 of 3,671
  Bought a pair of used Sony MDR-1RBT for $150 on Amazon, can compare now. Oddly enough, 1RBTs are better in every possible way. They look amazing, controls are better, way more comfortable for home listening, miles ahead Momentums in terms of comfort - very soft, 1RBTs get, say, 10, Momentums - I don't know, 6 (?) - they are way too hard here and there, earcups are way too small and they're overall very tiresome. In terms of sound I don't know I must be deaf but I don't hear any difference, 1RBT sound very good to my ears, mostly better then momentums. Noise cancellation doesn't really matter - if anything, it only hurts. The only advantage left is built in DAC (I've used USB wired Momentums in skype because HSP profile is 8 khz and I dont want to sound like a grammophone), yeah, good feature, but not essential if you have an external mic. I recommend 1RBT over Momentums at any time, especially for home use (TV, games, etc.).

Definitely glad you found something you like! I can't agree by any stretch, but that's the nice thing about this hobby, eh?

May 8, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,865 of 3,671
I'm actually having to send mine back for a 3rd time to Sennheiser since January.

As I didn't buy them from Sennheiser themselves and the 14 day returns policy had lapsed, my only choice is to return them to Sennheiser covered by the 2 years warranty.

The first return was due to the bluetooth playing up and the left ear pad wasn't manufactured correctly, so it made it uncomfortable.

The second time was due to - between the metal head band and the cup there are some plastic nylon packers. These came out meaning one of the cups was loose and never stayed in position.

The third time is the same as the second.

Unfortunately all Sennheiser are willing to do is repair/replace every time. It's a real shame because they're the perfect headphone for me, but I'm not at all happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm new to this type of audio scene, but they are a cracking pair of headphones. It's such a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back