Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,836 of 3,671
I think the nuts and the bolts of it is that the Momentum Wireless has bonkers battery life, considering what it does. I don't think it's cheaper, but I think their super low-power operation can get confused in certain hard to QA scenarios. There also may be phones taking the same approach - implementing Bluetooth in such a way where it uses little power.

Thanks for this. I think helpful criticism from a thoughtful preson is a good addition to the chorus of love for something this $$.

Chorus of love? I'm going to say 75% of the posts are complaints, and half of the complaints are bordering on trolling.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,837 of 3,671
  I think the nuts and the bolts of it is that the Momentum Wireless has bonkers battery life, considering what it does. I don't think it's cheaper, but I think their super low-power operation can get confused in certain hard to QA scenarios. There also may be phones taking the same approach - implementing Bluetooth in such a way where it uses little power.

Chorus of love? I'm going to say 75% of the posts are complaints, and half of the complaints are bordering on trolling.

1. It's possible, in the race to make some internal components smaller to fit others, meet price guidelines, and so on. Bluetooth 4.0 is low energy by nature, I believe. I don't know if there's a limit to how much theoretical power it can use, but I thought LE allows for compatibility with devices like fitness bands and smartwatches. They have small batteries and small Bluetooth chips.

2. I did a lot of research and settled on the M2s because overall, the reviews were very positive. The main complaints (with the REV2) I encountered were with the earpads and the stiff headband. Neither of these are problems for me. BT only working with ANC was another one; I'm a little miffed by that, but it's fine otherwise. They sound phenomenal wired or wireless - I'm listening wired right now through a Dragonfly 1.2 on my laptop. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,838 of 3,671
The nice bit is, and maybe it's pie-in-the-sky, that the manual states that these can receive firmware updates. Sennheiser could totally make that change via software. I totally understand (and support) their decision to have them both on, but I also understand people's frustration with the decision.

You're taking much more of a hit in audio quality from Bluetooth than you are with ANC. I actually quite like the sound of these run on a wire with ANC on.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,839 of 3,671
  The nice bit is, and maybe it's pie-in-the-sky, that the manual states that these can receive firmware updates. Sennheiser could totally make that change via software. I totally understand (and support) their decision to have them both on, but I also understand people's frustration with the decision.

You're taking much more of a hit in audio quality from Bluetooth than you are with ANC. I actually quite like the sound of these run on a wire with ANC on.

it's not a huge hit any more. AptX obviously isn't as good as wired, but it's not the kind of night and day difference. I sat at work for a little while going back and forth between USB wired into my laptop, wired into a Dragonfly, and BT off my phone and the difference was minor enough that I stick with wireless.

And yeah, people seem to keep buying these things expecting the individual components to be on par with dedicated devices. The mic is there for phone calls, not recording. BT is a limiting factor. They can't have all day battery. There's no way they'll sound as good as passive, wired headphones anywhere in the same price range. 

It makes me think of people buying a gaming laptop and going "well JEEZ this isn't NEARLY as powerful as a desktop PC of the same price!" 

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #2,840 of 3,671

it's not a huge hit any more. AptX obviously isn't as good as wired, but it's not the kind of night and day difference. I sat at work for a little while going back and forth between USB wired into my laptop, wired into a Dragonfly, and BT off my phone and the difference was minor enough that I stick with wireless.

And yeah, people seem to keep buying these things expecting the individual components to be on par with dedicated devices. The mic is there for phone calls, not recording. BT is a limiting factor. They can't have all day battery. There's no way they'll sound as good as passive, wired headphones anywhere in the same price range. 

It makes me think of people buying a gaming laptop and going "well JEEZ this isn't NEARLY as powerful as a desktop PC of the same price!" 

+1............. If you are looking for JUST good sound, pick up some Sennheiser HD700. They are among the very best headhphones you will ever hear (IMO). Right now they are priced similarly to the M2 (I listen to both just about equally).

If you don't like the ANC, or BT, then I suggest the wired version as they are cheaper, but have a VERY similar sound signature. I have seen on some of the "junk" review websites (you know, the ones that rate Beats VERY high) that these headphones (while not rated as number 1 simply because of price) are rated as elite/audiophile grade headphones in the bluetooth category, and are even highly recommended by them ("if you have the money").  I guess what I'm saying here is that these sites brainwash people into believing that to be number 1, price is definately a consideration to a product.

This turns thing upside down from what they used to be. If a product is the best at what it can do, I don't find that price should be considered. Number 1 is number 1, not number 1 is good IF they are cheap. My point is that it goes the same for options of a device. Are these the BEST sounding headphones in their price range? Nope. But, if you add all the things that they can do, then yes, they are the best sounding that you can get (again, IMO). So, for the class they are in, they are the best you can (currently) get. While there ARE some people that would say that the Ziks, or Sony, or etc... are much better (in this category), I'm sure that you will find that the (majority of) people that have given them an honest listen, and judgement based on all these can do, have found that there is really nothing comparable on the market at this time. 

All that being said, I am not convinced that Sennheiser has done anything with the electronics (to fix the issues). Or at the very least, nothing that helped the BT issues previously had by many. I say this because I own both rev1, and rev2 versions, and while it is very rare that either drop out or stutter, it is still there. And, when it DOES happen, they both do it equally, and in the same spots. But to be fair, I have noticed a VERY small amount (less than with my M2s) of this with my Bose AE2W (BT, APtX) phones with my Sammy phone. Now, the older BT phones I have (such as the Plantronics Backbeat GO, and Rocketfish MAB2) NEVER cut out at all, regardless of interferance.... Hmmmm

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,841 of 3,671

+1............. If you are looking for JUST good sound, pick up some Sennheiser HD700. They are among the very best headhphones you will ever hear (IMO). Right now they are priced similarly to the M2 (I listen to both just about equally).

If you don't like the ANC, or BT, then I suggest the wired version as they are cheaper, but have a VERY similar sound signature. I have seen on some of the "junk" review websites (you know, the ones that rate Beats VERY high) that these headphones (while not rated as number 1 simply because of price) are rated as elite/audiophile grade headphones in the bluetooth category, and are even highly recommended by them ("if you have the money").  I guess what I'm saying here is that these sites brainwash people into believing that to be number 1, price is definately a consideration to a product.

This turns thing upside down from what they used to be. If a product is the best at what it can do, I don't find that price should be considered. Number 1 is number 1, not number 1 is good IF they are cheap. My point is that it goes the same for options of a device. Are these the BEST sounding headphones in their price range? Nope. But, if you add all the things that they can do, then yes, they are the best sounding that you can get (again, IMO). So, for the class they are in, they are the best you can (currently) get. While there ARE some people that would say that the Ziks, or Sony, or etc... are much better (in this category), I'm sure that you will find that the (majority of) people that have given them an honest listen, and judgement based on all these can do, have found that there is really nothing comparable on the market at this time. 

All that being said, I am not convinced that Sennheiser has done anything with the electronics (to fix the issues). Or at the very least, nothing that helped the BT issues previously had by many. I say this because I own both rev1, and rev2 versions, and while it is very rare that either drop out or stutter, it is still there. And, when it DOES happen, they both do it equally, and in the same spots. But to be fair, I have noticed a VERY small amount (less than with my M2s) of this with my Bose AE2W (BT, APtX) phones with my Sammy phone. Now, the older BT phones I have (such as the Plantronics Backbeat GO, and Rocketfish MAB2) NEVER cut out at all, regardless of interferance.... Hmmmm

The Ziks look a little too fashion-forward to me. I tried the first gen and really didn't care for needing an app to EQ. Nor did I care for the gesture-style controls; give me a button or series of buttons. Parrot brought them over to my store to demo, and they pushed the design and Lou Reed EQ settings way too much for my liking.

When you say the same spots for the audio issues, are you talking inside or outside? My first Bluetooth headphones were the Motorola S9 and (I believe) a Jabra behind-the-neck model; both cut out a lot when I was outside. I'm pretty sure I paired them to my Motorola Q9c Windows handset. Based on the headphones I've owned since then, the technology has grown and improved by leaps and bounds. Which makes the M2AEBT situation a little more puzzling. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,842 of 3,671
  The Ziks look a little too fashion-forward to me. I tried the first gen and really didn't care for needing an app to EQ. Nor did I care for the gesture-style controls; give me a button or series of buttons. Parrot brought them over to my store to demo, and they pushed the design and Lou Reed EQ settings way too much for my liking.

When you say the same spots for the audio issues, are you talking inside or outside? My first Bluetooth headphones were the Motorola S9 and (I believe) a Jabra behind-the-neck model; both cut out a lot when I was outside. I'm pretty sure I paired them to my Motorola Q9c Windows handset. Based on the headphones I've owned since then, the technology has grown and improved by leaps and bounds. Which makes the M2AEBT situation a little more puzzling. 

The app is what drove me crazy. The Ziks sounded like hot garbage without the app enabled, and I just could never find a spot where things sounded right.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #2,843 of 3,671

I would have to say both. But mostly inside, as I don't travel for my job like I used to (with the rev1s). 

I also owned the Motorola S9's, but I didn't have any problems with those at all. I can't compare those, though, because I used to use them with a 3rd gen iPod touch (the one that they had to add BT support in software because they only worked with the Nike fitness device). But, you are right, BT has come a long way (especially where power usage is concerned). 

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #2,844 of 3,671
Love these hp's. I had the REV.1 and there were clearly issues with their Bluetooth  connectivity especially outside, With the REV.2 I get an occasional stutter but it mostly occurs when I am touching my source. They are greatly improved. I walk a minimum of 3 miles each day and then take these to the gym as well. I use them a lot. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,845 of 3,671
Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. I do a lot of gaming, and wanted a pair of wireless headphones.
When I connect them via bluetooth to my computer it doesn't like it at all. I've got to turn the mic and headphones on and off in settings until it likes a certain configuration.
It shows up as 'Headphones', 'headset', 'headset earphones' in properties. Which is weird.
Skype doesn't allow me to have the mic on and the 'headphones' on, I have to have the mic on and the 'headset' on. Or alternatively I can have my computers inbuilt mic and 'headphones' selected to make it work.

Now however my computer and headphones will not work correctly wireless. When I have 'headset' selected the sound is uninterrupted, but when I have 'headphones' selected they stutter constantly.

Also note that the sound quality of the 'headset' is extremely poor, it shows up in settings as telephone quality. Whereas if I select the 'headphones' they are CD quality.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,846 of 3,671
  Love these hp's. I had the REV.1 and there were clearly issues with their Bluetooth  connectivity especially outside, With the REV.2 I get an occasional stutter but it mostly occurs when I am touching my source. They are greatly improved. I walk a minimum of 3 miles each day and then take these to the gym as well. I use them a lot. 

I get the same thing - with my phone in my pocket, if I put my hand over the pocket, it gets really wonky. That didn't happen with the XB950 or V-Modas before, either. Even if I don't touch my pocket, like when I walked around Morristown the other day, the signal would stutter or drop occasionally.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,847 of 3,671
My Rev. 1s crackled at some point unless I held the phone 4 inches from my face.

My Rev. 2s crackle at one intersection in the city between 5:30 and 6:30 PM.

They made changes.

May 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,848 of 3,671
I was finally able to test my M2s with a different phone, an iPhone 6s Plus. While the drops and stuttering don't happen as much, it still happens more than enough to be noticeable. The Sony Extra Bass headphones didn't have this problem when I had my 6 Plus, nor did the CFWs. I don't think there's a big difference in the BT radio between the 6 Plus and the 6s Plus. This tells me there's an issue with both the BT receiver in the headphones, and the BT radio in the phone. Each phone puts out different Bluetooth power. But the receiver in the headphones seems to be the main problem.

No, this isn't scientific at all, but I'm regrettably going to have to return the M2s. 

May 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #2,849 of 3,671
Just unboxed a brand new pair of these M2 wireless. I'm still reading through this thread, but here's a silly question. Does anyone have any imperfections on the top or bottom of the plastic/back side of the earcup, almost where the flexible headband cable (top) and speaker grill (Bottom) are? Visibly, the finish on the plastic looks a little uneven, and if I run my finger over the plastic, it's a bit rough, al,out as if the plastic wasn't sanded before they applied the paint. Normally I don't care much about things like this, but I read a couple reviews about the finish coming off after only a month or two of handling, and I'd rather exchange it now if I need to. But if this is a common thing, I won't bother, as I hate giving back a perfectly good item for no reason.

May 2, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,850 of 3,671
Just unboxed a brand new pair of these M2 wireless. I'm still reading through this thread, but here's a silly question. Does anyone have any imperfections on the top or bottom of the plastic/back side of the earcup, almost where the flexible headband cable (top) and speaker grill (Bottom) are? Visibly, the finish on the plastic looks a little uneven, and if I run my finger over the plastic, it's a bit rough, al,out as if the plastic wasn't sanded before they applied the paint. Normally I don't care much about things like this, but I read a couple reviews about the finish coming off after only a month or two of handling, and I'd rather exchange it now if I need to. But if this is a common thing, I won't bother, as I hate giving back a perfectly good item for no reason.

I don't see anything on mine, but I have kinda loose sliders on my pair so there might be minor imperfections in the process. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back