Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Jun 15, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,953 of 3,671
How does the wired version of the Momentum 2 compare to the Creative Aurvana Live sonically? You might be thinking it's a stupid question since the price differences are so big, but price is misleading in this case, since I found the CAL to have clearer mids and treble than the Momentum 1, without sounding artificial or harsh. The CAL had more, but boomier bass though than the first Momentum.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,954 of 3,671
Scary.... I have the CAL and just ordered the original Momentum over ears as an upgrade.

On a side note, I got the momentums for $144 directly from Amazon. Should I have spent the money and just ordered the new ones for $350? Money isn't really a huge concern - but the value here is incredible, in my mind. Why not take the older version for more than half off? Thoughts on this, current owners? 

Should I keep v1 for $144 or spend the coin and get the new version? I have a pair of Q701 at home, and don't plan on using these anywhere but when I'm commuting to and from work. 45 minute trips. I feel the added comfort of the v2 wouldn't justify paying more than twice more for a mobile headphone.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,955 of 3,671
  Scary.... I have the CAL and just ordered the original Momentum over ears as an upgrade.

On a side note, I got the momentums for $144 directly from Amazon. Should I have spent the money and just ordered the new ones for $350? Money isn't really a huge concern - but the value here is incredible, in my mind. Why not take the older version for more than half off? Thoughts on this, current owners? 

Should I keep v1 for $144 or spend the coin and get the new version? I have a pair of Q701 at home, and don't plan on using these anywhere but when I'm commuting to and from work. 45 minute trips. I feel the added comfort of the v2 wouldn't justify paying more than twice more for a mobile headphone.

Imo the only thing the Momentums v1 do better than the CAL is bass quality, and there is less bass quantity than the CAL. But otherwise, the CAL beats them in every other area.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,956 of 3,671
I have both the Momentum 1.0 and the Momentum AEBT wireless.

I will be selling the Momentum AEBT wireless. The reason is that the convience of wireless does not outweigh the issue with bluetooth connectivity. The ANC is nice, but I found that most of the noise I would like to cancel on my commute is of the higher frequency and that the original Momentums can block the low frequency sound just fine from a passive and volume perspective.

I will miss the comfort of the AEBT (which I assume is similar to the 2.0 wired) but it isn't enough to justify the cost savings that is implied.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,957 of 3,671

Well, the only person who can really answer that Is you, how important is comfort to you? I found the original momentums to rub the outside of my ears too much which ruined my listening pleasure. The m2 fit much better and for me the extra cost is worth it.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,958 of 3,671

IMHO, I think that there is not that much of a difference (sonically) in the M1 and M2, that if you chose either, you would be happy. This is all dependent on if you are interested in the fit, the portability, and those kinds of factors. I own both, and find them both to sound very good to ears.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,959 of 3,671
Quote:
    IMHO, I think that there is not that much of a difference (sonically) in the M1 and M2, that if you chose either, you would be happy. This is all dependent on if you are interested in the fit, the portability, and those kinds of factors. I own both, and find them both to sound very good to ears.

+1  
I had the M1 and returned them after 1 week because of a slider rubber problem and got M2 out of curiosity and because of a "somehow" good price here in Europe
my perception is really similar to samandhi's on all aspects mentioned :)
sound signature is the same(confirmed by Sennheiser), but of course the bigger earcups might modify slightly the perceived sound but not something to be aware of in a significant way, at least that was my perception
if you don't have big ears , M1 is very comfortable...for my ears size M1 was great and honestly with the M2 I like less the cushion inner side part which is not real leather and does not feel as good and the black side material inside the cushion of the M1 - which breaths better IMO
on top of that my ear touches now the driver and it hurts after 1-2 hours that I have to take them off ...still I can't understand why the plastic "cover" part over the driver has those spaces /edges and not a perfectly flat surface like other brands  - see the pics in the links bellow
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p_oTlUGPjZ6ZQAIPHXbsdBSsC-lKHbetYUz-e3weitY=w1371-h775-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/49blJIxUrs_LI7IHkWKvXrIJw26b7cvrQEydErHqadM=w1371-h775-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CrqZY97FTNnUpKIGqzq-KZr_QMqSBRJPU9lus7EG6jI=w714-h775-no

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,960 of 3,671
I just ordered the m2 via headphones.com with the 15% off coupon they posted on the main page here on HeadFi.

My justification:
My main concern in portability. I truly love my Q701 for home use, and will likely never replace them. With that being said, I opted for the m2 for the foldable design, and larger ear cups (I find that my ears are slightly larger than average.) 

On a side note, I'm doing this to replace my IE80 that I'm giving to my music loving father who was just diagnosed with a severe type of cancer. I only bought them 6 months ago, but he deserves them. He spends a ton of time sitting around in hospitals, and lacks energy to do much after chemo visits. I figure the IE80 will make for a wonderful Father's Day gift.  He is certainly no audiophile, but likes bass oriented headphones, and the IE80 are likely the highest quality bass oriented in ear out there. 

I really don't expect the m2 to meet the sound quality of my IE80, but seem to be suitable replacements. Opinions? Let me know if I'm getting too far off topic. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,961 of 3,671
I have a set of IE80 and I think they both sound great. I don't think it's fair or sensible to compare them directly since one's an IEM and the other is a full-sized circumaural. I will say, if it matters, that I use my IE80s strictly for commuting and prefer the M2s.

I think they don't sound too terribly dissimilar - maybe the IE80 has more upper-treble presence than the M2 but not so much that it's distracting.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,962 of 3,671
Hi again :)

Been waiting a long time for buying this cans, but still unavailable here in France, so I was wondering :

Would you recommend waiting for the M2 wireless to be on sale again, or to go for the M2 wired at this point ?

I've heard the wired is actually better than the wireless (even on passive wired mode) is that confirmed ?

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,963 of 3,671
I haven't ABed them side by side but they sounded similar to me. When I put on the wired M2s, they sounded familiar. I don't care what anybody says, but I can't imagine they use different drivers. That just doesn't make sense. I bet the difference in sound, if one actually exists, would be the due to the fact that the wireless M2 has a bunch of microchips in the earcups, and the wired version doesn't.

I bought the M2 Wireless because I was after a noise-cancelling Bluetooth set, and they were head and shoulders above the competition. With the wired version, I wouldn't have purchased them as I already have a set of B&W P7 (the wired M2 would be redundant for me). For me, it's wireless or bust. If the wireless or noise cancelling features aren't absolutely crucial, you have options. If they are, there's no question.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,964 of 3,671

I've heard the wired is actually better than the wireless (even on passive wired mode) is that confirmed ?

No, that's largely up to personal preference. On a side note, I personally think the M2 wireless sound way more balanced in wireless mode than wired.
I bought the M2 Wireless because I was after a noise-cancelling Bluetooth set, and they were head and shoulders above the competition. With the wired version, I wouldn't have purchased them as I already have a set of B&W P7 (the wired M2 would be redundant for me). For me, it's wireless or bust. If the wireless or noise cancelling features aren't absolutely crucial, you have options. If they are, there's no question.

Personally I'd strongly consider Denon AH-GC20 instead of M2 Wireless. Needs to be tested tho, the cups are shallow, and of course not many reports from long-term usage yet.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,965 of 3,671
  I haven't ABed them side by side but they sounded similar to me. When I put on the wired M2s, they sounded familiar. I don't care what anybody says, but I can't imagine they use different drivers. That just doesn't make sense. I bet the difference in sound, if one actually exists, would be the due to the fact that the wireless M2 has a bunch of microchips in the earcups, and the wired version doesn't.

How would you compare the P7 to the M2 wired ? I heard  a lot of good things about them, but their design kind of put me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back