Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,441 of 7,699
Quote:
Which cable are you considering? Toxic's cable for the IE8/IE80 does look sturdy but it is pricy. Of course silver cable will not be as malleable as the IE8/IE80 stock cable so keep that in mind as well.

Silver is very malleable. Surely more so that the standard copper cable (same diameter).

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,442 of 7,699
Quote:
Silver is very malleable. Surely more so that the standard copper cable (same diameter).

Not in my experience. Silver cables are generally stiffer and more micro-phonic. Not as flexible. Nothing like the IE8/IE80 cable which is very easy to bend and pretty much has no micro-phonics. So in that silver cables will be more cumbersome.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #4,443 of 7,699
Quote:
Not in my experience. Silver cables are generally stiffer and more micro-phonic. Not as flexible. Nothing like the IE8/IE80 cable which is very easy to bend and pretty much has no micro-phonics. So in that silver cables will be more cumbersome.

It mainly depends on the material that isolates these wires, if the coating is stiffer, then sure does the final cable, some factory offer copper cable with extra softness and bendability.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #4,446 of 7,699
After a couple of months with the IE80s, I have come to the conclusion that they are TOO bassy (mod tape applied). I feel as if I'm drowning when listening to  some of Marvin Gaye and John Legend's tracks. Love the sound stage and its mid-centric character but would like to have a decrease emphasis on the lower frequencies. 
Can anyone recommend me an IEM that fit these descriptions; preferably below $700?

Don 

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #4,447 of 7,699
Quote:
After a couple of months with the IE80s, I have come to the conclusion that they are TOO bassy (mod tape applied). I feel as if I'm drowning when listening to  some of Marvin Gaye and John Legend's tracks. Love the sound stage and its mid-centric character but would like to have a decrease emphasis on the lower frequencies. 
Can anyone recommend me an IEM that fit these descriptions; preferably below $700?

Don 

Hello Don

I had a similar experience and thought oh no, these are overblown in the bass region. One day I was looking at the equaliser settings of my PCs media player and noticed that I had enhanced the bass for listening to my HD580s. I pulled the bass controls back to neutral and volia! The whole sound just opened up, the bass did not intrude into the mid range and somehow the treble was so much cleaner though this doesn't seem to make sense. These are now superb sounding iems and I can't see a reason to get any others. I wonder if this is the case for you.

BTW, I had to do the same for my Sansa View. My iPhone 4S was not an issue

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #4,448 of 7,699
Quote:

Don 

You might want to check on the 1964 v6. Its $650 and fit your description but its a custom IEM.
Or you can upgrade your source (i recommend studio v it pairs really well with ie80)

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #4,449 of 7,699
Quote:
Hello Don

I had a similar experience and thought oh no, these are overblown in the bass region. One day I was looking at the equaliser settings of my PCs media player and noticed that I had enhanced the bass for listening to my HD580s. I pulled the bass controls back to neutral and volia! The whole sound just opened up, the bass did not intrude into the mid range and somehow the treble was so much cleaner though this doesn't seem to make sense. These are now superb sounding iems and I can't see a reason to get any others. I wonder if this is the case for you.

BTW, I had to do the same for my Sansa View. My iPhone 4S was not an issue

Using a Studio V as my pmp. No Eq in that small brick, however, i have tried the Eq on Iphone's Flac Player app. I kinda solved the problem by playing lowering the 64 - 125 Hz frequencies, but i do not want to be restricted by it. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #4,450 of 7,699
Quote:
You might want to check on the 1964 v6. Its $650 and fit your description but its a custom IEM.
Or you can upgrade your source (i recommend studio v it pairs really well with ie80)

Will research more on the 1964s. Price is attractive, but i would probably exceed my cap (ear molds). Currently using a Studio V (non-anv.) and does compliment the ie80s very well (bass included).
I guess going customs is the only way to go for a more specialized sound signature >.<.  

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #4,451 of 7,699
Quote:

Will research more on the 1964s. Price is attractive, but i would probably exceed my cap (ear molds). Currently using a Studio V (non-anv.) and does compliment the ie80s very well (bass included).
I guess going customs is the only way to go for a more specialized sound signature >.<.  

The 8As maybe more so what you are after in regards to the IE80? At least in terms of the smooth treble and decently wide sound staging. The bass is also far more controlled. But the 8A can appear to be mellow (well so is the IE8/IE80 to an extent).

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #4,452 of 7,699
Get the 4.Ai and the EX1000 like me and all problems solved.
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4,453 of 7,699
Sent my IE8's in for RMA one month ago and got them back today. The initial problem was that the volume from the right monitor was quite low and lows were lacking compared to the left side. Now they've sent me a piece of ***t back. The invoice shows that they performed an internal cleaning. This indeed solved the problem but somehow now the volume from the right monitor is much louder than the volume from the left one. Besides, the thing that annoys me most is that they broke the housing of the right monitor. The backplate is loose from the rest of the monitor and whatever I try, I can't get these two parts back together. I sent them an email and hope they will replace my IE8 with a new one, otherwise, they''ll lose a loyal customer. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4,454 of 7,699
Quote:
Sent my IE8's in for RMA one month ago and got them back today.

Wierd...usually they just replace 'em with new ones. Hard to imagine how it's cost effective to have some tech to screw around trying to 'fix' what's wrong. Maybe they ran out of IE-8 replacements and didn't want to give you IE-80's instead. I would pitch-a-bitch if I were you...

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4,455 of 7,699
Quote:

Wierd...usually they just replace 'em with new ones. Hard to imagine how it's cost effective to have some tech to screw around trying to 'fix' what's wrong. Maybe they ran out of IE-8 replacements and didn't want to give you IE-80's instead. I would pitch-a-bitch if I were you...

Very weird - What service center did you send them to? What state was it in? I am presuming USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back