Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #4,426 of 7,699
Quote:

Your expectations are too high.
The difference between good and bad IEMs is not as big as people want you to believe.

Edit: I won't even comment on the so-called "improvements" due to amps.

Oh!! tell me about it......  I call manyIEM's sound bad since I have A/B ed IEm's Since I ever got Hold to a em... but preference plays a huge roll here.... till u find ur Perfect sig , every IEM should sound crap to u.. Most IEM's I found are either has a Crappy Bass oriented sig or Completely ignored the word clarity... IE80's some how do sound great after a harmless mod.. ( Most impressive)

and I will gladly comment on Amp's once I get the T1'a And Shozy's..
wink.gif

Quote:
That's disappointing that a 450 dollar pair of headphones wouldn't sound great stock. But I should try them with a better mp3 def.
Bought for 292 from amazon, not a third party seller. While always possible they can be fake I highly doubt it. I have checked all the tell tale signs from the pics here and they all point to real.
This is what I'm leaning towards. I sure do wish I had a pair of 20 dollar iems to compare them to. Maybe I'll buy some and just give them to my girlfriend after since I broke hers anyway.
biggrin.gif

Yeah I fell for that scam with the cardas cables for my hd650s and I don't hear a difference. As a matter of fact if anyone wants a cardas fat pipe cable, pm me.

IMHO even I wont trust some Opinion's about cable's.. May be im wrong. But I can always live that.
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,427 of 7,699
Just got the Galaxy silver cables.

Don't really notice a difference between this and stock. 

Cable looks a lot more durable, however the connector that connects to the earpieces are just 2 pins with rubber around it, whereas the stock ones are 2 pins with hard plastic. It looks as if anything goes wrong, the 2 pins will just snap and break without the hard plastic to hold it in place.... 

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #4,428 of 7,699
Quote:
Just got the Galaxy silver cables.

Don't really notice a difference between this and stock. 

Cable looks a lot more durable, however the connector that connects to the earpieces are just 2 pins with rubber around it, whereas the stock ones are 2 pins with hard plastic. It looks as if anything goes wrong, the 2 pins will just snap and break without the hard plastic to hold it in place.... 

Hmm where did you purchase the cable from? Zeroshoe had updated his connectors to my knowledge. I ended up sending my former cable into him to have him redo the pins and the plug. He charged me about $25.00 I think to do it and the new connectors look just like the one on the original IE80 cable (much more sturdy).

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #4,429 of 7,699
bought them off the F/S section here, linked it recently a page ago or something.

Yeh I don't think I can be bothered sending it to him to get it fixed, maybe further down the line when they break or something. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #4,431 of 7,699
Quote:
Cables are a scam!

i might Say +1 cuz so far never seen a improvement with galaxy cables.. its all in your mind.... Least that's what i believe...

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4,432 of 7,699
 It seems aptly that I ask this question now as I have the same inquiry about replacement cables for the IE80's as user ich1ban have asked. 

I've had two stock cables in just about a year of owning the IE80's and they've both broken the exact same way (The plastic just under the hard plastic that connects to the earpiece itself have been notched by wear to showing the wires inside. Which leads to the metal wire being later completely exposed with metal wires breaking loose with further use which decrease the sound quality and sound volume). 

This has lead me to wanting to try and buy some custom cables and I'm mostly wondering if anyone knows if these are or are not trustworthy sellers. I am not really expecting any big sound improvement, I'm mostly looking for better durability. Plus some of these customs cost as much as a new stock cable, so why not try the alternative? And having a long warranty isn't a big issue as I've not received any help from sennheiser when my cables broke the first time.

These are some I've been looking at: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-PRICE-OFC-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-new-pins-Black-line-Good-/130882721423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7937d68f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N-OFHC-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-upgrade-cable-/200911886603?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ec748190b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taiwan-AOL-5N-OCC-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-/251240975432?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a7f210c48

Any comments are appreciated!

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4,433 of 7,699
 It seems aptly that I ask this question now as I have the same inquiry about replacement cables for the IE80's as user ich1ban have asked. 

I've had two stock cables in just about a year of owning the IE80's and they've both broken the exact same way (The plastic just under the hard plastic that connects to the earpiece itself have been notched by wear to showing the wires inside. Which leads to the metal wire being later completely exposed with metal wires breaking loose with further use which decrease the sound quality and sound volume). 

This has lead me to wanting to try and buy some custom cables and I'm mostly wondering if anyone knows if these are or are not trustworthy sellers. I am not really expecting any big sound improvement, I'm mostly looking for better durability. Plus some of these customs cost as much as a new stock cable, so why not try the alternative? And having a long warranty isn't a big issue as I've not received any help from sennheiser when my cables broke the first time.

These are some I've been looking at: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-PRICE-OFC-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-new-pins-Black-line-Good-/130882721423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7937d68f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N-OFHC-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-upgrade-cable-/200911886603?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ec748190b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taiwan-AOL-5N-OCC-upgrade-cable-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-/251240975432?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a7f210c48

Any comments are appreciated!

If the IE80 cable is the same as the IE8 cable, they are one of the most durable in the market and chances are you are tugging on them etc too much. Custom cables don't tend to be better, durability wise.

Could be wrong on both counts though.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #4,434 of 7,699
Quote:
If the IE80 cable is the same as the IE8 cable, they are one of the most durable in the market and chances are you are tugging on them etc too much. Custom cables don't tend to be better, durability wise.

Could be wrong on both counts though.

I think the IE8 cable is more durable but not by a whole lot. Some are just that much more aggressive with their gear. I've never had cable issues with my IE8s/IE80 other than the upgrade cable I bought (which had to be serviced). My dad has gone through 2 IE80 cables already and is quite aggressive with his gear. Tightening up that chin strap will only contribute to wear and tear on the connectors. I don't find it comfortable anyways so I don't use it strapped all the way up to my chin; instead I do so just enough where the wires aren't unwieldy (not touching chin).

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #4,436 of 7,699
Quote:
I think the IE8 cable is more durable but not by a whole lot. Some are just that much more aggressive with their gear. I've never had cable issues with my IE8s/IE80 other than the upgrade cable I bought (which had to be serviced). My dad has gone through 2 IE80 cables already and is quite aggressive with his gear. Tightening up that chin strap will only contribute to wear and tear on the connectors. I don't find it comfortable anyways so I don't use it strapped all the way up to my chin; instead I do so just enough where the wires aren't unwieldy (not touching chin).

Yeah this might be the case. I do use them daily and certainly could be more careful with them. Still, I might  go ahead and try those custom cables just to try out. See if they respond better to the wear and tear I put my cables through. Thanks for the input! 

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #4,437 of 7,699
Quote:

Yeah this might be the case. I do use them daily and certainly could be more careful with them. Still, I might  go ahead and try those custom cables just to try out. See if they respond better to the wear and tear I put my cables through. Thanks for the input! 

Which cable are you considering? Toxic's cable for the IE8/IE80 does look sturdy but it is pricy. Of course silver cable will not be as malleable as the IE8/IE80 stock cable so keep that in mind as well.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,438 of 7,699
Which cable are you considering? Toxic's cable for the IE8/IE80 does look sturdy but it is pricy.

See his previous post above :wink:

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #4,439 of 7,699
lol my bad. Well they are all reasonably priced options so I don't see you going wrong. But in terms of durability that is on you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back