Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4,351 of 7,699
Let me know what happens - I have a pair of in-warranty IE8's that the right channel was popping on and off (of course, I have been listening all night and it hasn't done it again) - And what did they ask you to send? I don't have my huge box anymore, just the IEM case...

Thanks - just want to know what to do if and when my bud dies (hopefully before Nov 2013) lol

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #4,353 of 7,699
Just got the Ie80s. Couple of questions:

1) What's the purpose of the ear hooks and the cable clip? Are they necessary?

2) What's a proper ideal bass level? I currently have it on the 3rd mid level bass point.

3) I plan on using the case provided for everyday storage. The instructions show a picture with an arrow pointing to the desiccant. Does this mean to discard it? Also, why is a desiccant included?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4,354 of 7,699
Hi! I'm a new young member here.

I've been saving up a bit to plunge myself into the iem world. My dad says that Sennheiser is a great company for headphones/earphones. I do agree with that, because even with my so called "gaming" headsets that are sennheiser they do sound better than my friends headphones. I do not always like at brand, but I look at reviews as well. Shure, Westone, Heir and Earsonics all do not sound bad at all, but Westone and Earsonics seem to be a bit more expensive compared to Shure and Sennheiser so I tend to look for them in the classifieds section. So I've come to a conclusion of either the Sennheiser IE80 or the Shure SE425 (The 535 is too expensive!). I've seem them both at the $200-250 level recently. I was wondering which has better SQ overall? I'm looking for a headphone that can accommodate pop, rock, classical and some dubstep. I don't expect it to be stellar at each of the genres, but I do look for an improvement from the earpods I have from my phone. I have a basic understanding of both IEMs as I've read quite a few reviews about them, but I've been trying to search for comparison between these two IEMs and there doesn't seem to be one so I was wondering if anyone can chime in for this?

tl;dr

I'd like to buy a pair of iems. My current pick is SE425 or IE80. Im free to other choices as long as they are in the $200-250 range used or new. I listen to dubstep, pop, rock, classical.

Thanks!!

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4,355 of 7,699
Quote:
Just got the Ie80s. Couple of questions:

1) What's the purpose of the ear hooks and the cable clip? Are they necessary?

2) What's a proper ideal bass level? I currently have it on the 3rd mid level bass point.

3) I plan on using the case provided for everyday storage. The instructions show a picture with an arrow pointing to the desiccant. Does this mean to discard it? Also, why is a desiccant included?

Thanks

Hi Jones,

1. The included ear hooks and cable clip mitigate any problems that might be experienced while using the IEM. For instance, if the wire keeps looping off your ear, simply attach the hooks to keep them in place. The shirt clip is used to reduce the movement of the IEM's wire while you move about. This eliminates microphonics as the cable rubs against your jacket or whatever.

Neither of these are necessary for me. I find the IE80's cable (when worn over-ear) to have minimal microphonics, and the cables have now got a bit of memory at the top (so they sit comfortably under my glasses without the hooks).

2. The ideal bass level for some IE80 users is the minimum. It is also, for hardcore bass fans, the maximum. Or anywhere in between - any bass level your ears tell you sounds great is the 'ideal level'. Have fun experimenting - for a time, I liked it on 2.5, but I'm now on minimum as my tastes have changed :p

3. The desiccant is there in the compartment to minimise the build-up of moisture in the case, and keep the IEMs dry. Don't discard it - just leave it in there, the arrow is probably saying the desiccant goes in the compartment.

On a side note, I would not use the included case for everyday storage. It looks super cool, but it is also pretty fiddly. It requires the user to wind the cable up really tightly on the inside (not good for the cable), and angle the 3.5mm jack properly before you can close it. For me, it took a long time to get it out, open up the case, unwind it... And putting it away took a few tries.

I prefer to loosely wrap the cable around 3 or 4 of my fingers, and then place the IEM in an old glasses case or something with a cloth and the cleaning tool. It's no big deal to put it in or out of this case, but it still protects them very well (as the glasses case has padding in it).

Good luck! I hope you're enjoying them as much as I am.

Hi! I'm a new young member here.

I've been saving up a bit to plunge myself into the iem world. My dad says that Sennheiser is a great company for headphones/earphones. I do agree with that, because even with my so called "gaming" headsets that are sennheiser they do sound better than my friends headphones. I do not always like at brand, but I look at reviews as well. Shure, Westone, Heir and Earsonics all do not sound bad at all, but Westone and Earsonics seem to be a bit more expensive compared to Shure and Sennheiser so I tend to look for them in the classifieds section. So I've come to a conclusion of either the Sennheiser IE80 or the Shure SE425 (The 535 is too expensive!). I've seem them both at the $200-250 level recently. I was wondering which has better SQ overall? I'm looking for a headphone that can accommodate pop, rock, classical and some dubstep. I don't expect it to be stellar at each of the genres, but I do look for an improvement from the earpods I have from my phone. I have a basic understanding of both IEMs as I've read quite a few reviews about them, but I've been trying to search for comparison between these two IEMs and there doesn't seem to be one so I was wondering if anyone can chime in for this?

tl;dr

I'd like to buy a pair of iems. My current pick is SE425 or IE80. Im free to other choices as long as they are in the $200-250 range used or new. I listen to dubstep, pop, rock, classical.

Thanks!!

Hey lolz, I've never heard the 425. I did hear the 535, and I liked its neutrality relative to the IE80, but I do prefer the IE80's bass emphasis anyway. Just personal taste.

I will say that the IE80 will sound a treat with pop, rock and dubstep (great bass, natural mids and non-piercing highs). For classical, it kind of depends - I'm no expert but the spacious soundstage of the IE80 might help*. I think there'd be better IEMs for that. It's not like it will sound awful with the IE80s (I reckon it'll sound pretty good). It's just not their strong point IMO.

For less than $250, the IE80 is a great buy, and it will definitely blow away your earpods, particularly if you can get them to fit well. This thread has a wealth of posts about finding the right tips (I like the JVC mediums).

Good luck with that!

*EDIT: I don't listen to much classical, do check out holden4th's more detailed impressions below

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,356 of 7,699
Quote:
I will say that the IE80 will sound a treat with pop, rock and dubstep (great bass, natural mids and non-piercing highs). For classical, it kind of depends - I'm no expert but the spacious soundstage of the IE80 and the booming bass could make orchestral pieces epic. For string quartets and such? I think there'd be better IEMs for that. It's not like it will sound awful with the IE80s (I reckon it'll sound pretty good). It's just not their strong point IMO.

For less than $250, the IE80 is a great buy, and it will definitely blow away your earpods, particularly if you can get them to fit well. This thread has a wealth of posts about finding the right tips (I like the JVC mediums).

The IE80s do a superb job of chamber music with their soundstage giving good instrumental separation. The less bass (minimum setting) the better for orchestral works has been my experience. Even at this setting the bass is big. If you get a pair then please read this thread about the tape mod for the IE80

I am concerned that a pair of IE80s for $250 is too low a price and they could easily be fakes. Post here who you are getting them from for advice about authenticity.

The IE80s are a great set of IEMs that work for virtually all musical genres. I love mine! I wish I could afford the next step - IE800s

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,358 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi guys

Do you think the ie80 is comparable to the Sennheiser px 100ii sound signature wise? 

Thanks

I have a friend who have a px100II but needless to say IE80's blow them out to dust.. and its not comparable... may be the highs.. but yeah then again its all about doing better when u buy a pair of IE80's mate...

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #4,359 of 7,699
Quote:
I have a friend who have a px100II but needless to say IE80's blow them out to dust.. and its not comparable... may be the highs.. but yeah then again its all about doing better when u buy a pair of IE80's mate...

I got the Vsonic Gr07 mkii 15 days ago, and even if they blow out to dust the px100ii technically I feel that they miss the fun factor and bass weight of the px100ii. This is not a problem indoor in quiet enviroment, my problem is outdoor, I usually travel for 2 hours a day in train and bus so the Vsonic gr07 sounds "thin" in those noisy places. 

This bring me to the IE80. I am pretty sure they will crush the px100ii technically. I just want to know if they keep the same warm, full bodied, inoffensive in treble, sound signature.
My priority is that they have to work well in noisy place (mainly they have to keep the bass at good level) and with heavy metal genre like Tool, Deftones, etc...

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,360 of 7,699
Quote:
I got the Vsonic Gr07 mkii 15 days ago, and even if they blow out to dust the px100ii technically I feel that they miss the fun factor and bass weight of the px100ii. This is not a problem indoor in quiet enviroment, my problem is outdoor, I usually travel for 2 hours a day in train and bus so the Vsonic gr07 sounds "thin" in those noisy places. 

This bring me to the IE80. I am pretty sure they will crush the px100ii technically. I just want to know if they keep the same warm, full bodied, inoffensive in treble, sound signature.
My priority is that they have to work well in noisy place (mainly they have to keep the bass at good level) and with heavy metal genre like Tool, Deftones, etc...

Thanks!

Hey crazy,

Warm, full bodied, with inoffensive treble? Yes, I think so. Huge bass? That too; the IE80 will not sound thin at all in noisy places. I take mine on the rattly Sydney trains to uni every day, and they sound rich and full, not drowned out by the tunnel noise etc.

The caveat is that you will need a good fit, because the IE80 is a vented IEM. I've found its isolation is relatively lower than another IEM like, say, the Klipsch X10 or S4. I use foam tips or well-fitting silicon tips on the IE80 to improve isolation - once you do that, you should be fine. I find the stock tips to be uncomfortable for my ears, and they isolate pretty poorly because of the fit.

So yes, go for the IE80 it has the fun factor and bass weight (as well as technical excellence) that you seek... If it fits well. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4,362 of 7,699
Quote:
I got the Vsonic Gr07 mkii 15 days ago, and even if they blow out to dust the px100ii technically I feel that they miss the fun factor and bass weight of the px100ii. This is not a problem indoor in quiet environment, my problem is outdoor, I usually travel for 2 hours a day in train and bus so the Vsonic gr07 sounds "thin" in those noisy places. 

Thanks!

No IE80 is not a thin sounding IEM at all.... its a think sounding pair, and my.. my when it comes to bass it knows how to rattle your teeth :wink: but.... if u love a good reference type of a sound u can always tape mod it, but when u go out side u can remove the tape and use em...  its by far the most used IEM out of my Whole collection... Buy some comply foam tips.. they'll do the justice to the  Isolation factor. :) happy buying....

* just to spoil the fun - Tool sounds Epic with IE80's , u will cry when u here how the bass Guitar sounds... \m/ (pot)

( try to double check whether its a fake or not... ) 

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,363 of 7,699
Quote:
No IE80 is not a thin sounding IEM at all.... its a think sounding pair, and my.. my when it comes to bass it knows how to rattle your teeth :wink: but.... if u love a good reference type of a sound u can always tape mod it, but when u go out side u can remove the tape and use em...  its by far the most used IEM out of my Whole collection... Buy some comply foam tips.. they'll do the justice to the  Isolation factor. :) happy buying....

* just to spoil the fun - Tool sounds Epic with IE80's , u will cry when u here how the bass Guitar sounds... \m/ (pot)

( try to double check whether its a fake or not... ) 

Tool would sound epic through any pair of headphones 
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #4,364 of 7,699
The IE80 are from the classifieds and from razordogs so I suppose they are legit. Thanks for concerning this as I have seen a lot of cheap ones on eBay!
The IE80s do a superb job of chamber music with their soundstage giving good instrumental separation. The less bass (minimum setting) the better for orchestral works has been my experience. Even at this setting the bass is big. If you get a pair then please read this thread about the tape mod for the IE80

I am concerned that a pair of IE80s for $250 is too low a price and they could easily be fakes. Post here who you are getting them from for advice about authenticity.

The IE80s are a great set of IEMs that work for virtually all musical genres. I love mine! I wish I could afford the next step - IE800s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back