Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4,291 of 7,699
V1 or V2? I know V1 hiss was significantly louder than V2 as V2s hiss is significantly louder than the 3rd ANV (70 to 75%). So in that it could be an issue for you. I'm not really sure though as it will depend on you. I'd have suggested waiting til they released the upcoming update as that would indeed help in the hiss regard. As well as a better UI and I'd think slightly better sound quality. Anyways keep up posted on what you think of it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #4,292 of 7,699
Thank you for the quick and detialed reply. Hoping the hiss wont get in the way of the music :frowning2:. Bought the item off today due to its attractive price point. My first dap other than the generic apples. Will definitely keep a look out on the newer release. And for that i need dough. Thank god im in a coop program.

That aside, I'm excited to hear how well it pairs up with the ie80s.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #4,296 of 7,699
Quote:
Anybody got any thoughts on synergy with the IE80's and Sandisk Clip+ or Zip.

Also been looking at the Dark Lord (Teflon) upgrade cable on ebay, any thoughts?

I do as that is one of my portable setups

Is yours rockboxed ? I hope so otherwise you will never access the advanced equalizing capabilities of this little devil

Also I don´t really like the results of the tape mod thingy. Disadvantages are way higher than advantages.

I would rather eq them together properly. So,

Considering that a proper ear tip fit is already in place my best settings for the clip+ and the IE80 are:

LS: 4.0db at 60Hz 0.7 slope
PK1: -3.0db at 110Hz 1.0 slope
PK2: -1.0db at 2500 1.0 slope
PK3: 4.0db at 12000Hz 1.0 slope
HS: 10.0db at 16000Hz 1.0 slope

This way you will extend the bass a bit with a wide slope to compensate for the mid bass cut at 110Hz these drivers need so it won´t steal the low-mid-bass at about 80-90Hz peak
Some vocal range ringing is corrected with a slight cut at about 2500 (some prefer 4000 depending on the vocals) and then my personal preference some addition to the high freqs to give life at about 12000 and finally a good chunk way up on the 16khz as I quite like the dish/cymbals very high freq for colorfulness

And the IE80 responds very well to this. just shows its hidden capabilities that many never get to experience (mainly because of bad fitting, fortunately I never had these problems both with comply ts and some JVC generic ones)

Now regarding the cable that´s also a hit and miss. Many people on blind tests never get to differenciate between one or other sets of cables generally speaking. Incidentally I would never go the full silver route, these will even lower the resist. On these 16ohm to avoid falling into a too much clinical sound I´d much rather keep to the semi copper/silver cables or just plain copper for a warmer sound, both can be had cheaper. Also the original IE8 cable should not be too bad since its more flexible than the default IE80 one (which I don´t like, the stiffness makes it jump out of the ear eventually)

Whatever you do try to avoid very thick avg cables and if you do get some get them with the ear pre bended. Otherwise will be a nightmare to manage and you´ll probably be disappointed.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #4,297 of 7,699
Quote:

I do as that is one of my portable setups

Is yours rockboxed ? I hope so otherwise you will never access the advanced equalizing capabilities of this little devil

Also I don´t really like the results of the tape mod thingy. Disadvantages are way higher than advantages.

I would rather eq them together properly. So,

Considering that a proper ear tip fit is already in place my best settings for the clip+ and the IE80 are:

LS: 4.0db at 60Hz 0.7 slope
PK1: -3.0db at 110Hz 1.0 slope
PK2: -1.0db at 2500 1.0 slope
PK3: 4.0db at 12000Hz 1.0 slope
HS: 10.0db at 16000Hz 1.0 slope

This way you will extend the bass a bit with a wide slope to compensate for the mid bass cut at 110Hz these drivers need so it won´t steal the low-mid-bass at about 80-90Hz peak
Some vocal range ringing is corrected with a slight cut at about 2500 (some prefer 4000 depending on the vocals) and then my personal preference some addition to the high freqs to give life at about 12000 and finally a good chunk way up on the 16khz as I quite like the dish/cymbals very high freq for colorfulness

And the IE80 responds very well to this. just shows its hidden capabilities that many never get to experience (mainly because of bad fitting, fortunately I never had these problems both with comply ts and some JVC generic ones)

Now regarding the cable that´s also a hit and miss. Many people on blind tests never get to differenciate between one or other sets of cables generally speaking. Incidentally I would never go the full silver route. To avoid falling into a too high clinical sound I´d much rather keep to the semi copper/silver cables or just plain copper for a warmer sound, both can be had cheaper. Also the original IE8 cable should not be too bad since its more flexible than the default IE80 one (which I don´t like, the stiffness makes it jump out of the ear eventually)

Whatever you do try to avoid very thick avg cables and if you do get some get them with the ear pre bended. Otherwise will be a nightmare to manage and you´ll probably be disappointed.

Dude,

thanks for the unexpectedly indepth reply. I haven't (as yet) got a clip, haven't been entirely convinced that such a cheap player would be any use but everything seems to rave about them. I am using rockbox on my old ipod and have been very impressed with it.

I might just get the clip to see what it does. Thanks for the EQ info, very interesting and much appreciated.

One question, is the EQ settings for a certain tip (Conplys or JVC), I have both coming in the mail and want to set IE 80 to achieve the best sound I can get with them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #4,298 of 7,699
Well be convinced because its that good. On par if not higher than the all singing all marketed Apple players. You will both be amazed and appalled regarding the price difference and probably feel silly as to how much money you have been giving the fruit company to not real advantage but funding marketing structures lol only thing is battery time but I mean the zip is really tiny have you ever held one ?

These settings are for the comply round ones I think these are the most non intrusive of the lot and if properly fitted will be ok soundwise
On other silicon or plastic tips maybe you don´t have to push the high freqs so much but then again its a personal taste, the main guidelines would be to cut the mid bass hump while not totally stealing it and pushing the high freqs to sound liveliness. Then again I find personally the comply ts are a perfect fit for me, better than the stiff cable hassle (on cold weather its worse)

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4,299 of 7,699
Thanks for the quick reply. Clip zip has been ordered, found it on mymemory for £26.96, pretty decent price.

i will rockbox it when it arrives and will try the settings you advised when my comply tips arrive.

really appreciate the advice. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,300 of 7,699
ure welcome. in advance go to rockbox.org, download the final release for clip+, download and start studying the rb manual. there's a few hundred pages to read on lol

additionally you will find the battery lasts longer on rb than on default firmware. also the clips can reach a really higher than apple's overall spl/volume without distortion, no silly EU law spl cap

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,301 of 7,699
Quote:
ure welcome. in advance go to rockbox.org, download the final release for clip+, download and start studying the rb manual. there's a few hundred pages to read on lol

additionally you will find the battery lasts longer on rb than on default firmware. also the clips can reach a really higher than apple's overall spl/volume without distortion, no silly EU law spl cap

You read my mind, been browsing the manual already. It seems pretty much the same as rockbox for the ipod classic (which I have been using for a few months) so I am sure I will be comfortable using it straight away.

Looking forward to getting my IE80's sorted with the seal (Complys and JVC eargels incoming) and blasting some wicked FLAC files through the rocboxed clip zip.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,302 of 7,699
Does anybody find the IE80 fatiguing in any way? I don't actually own it anymore, but I recall certain few songs which felt somewhat bright and fatiguing. At the time I thought it was just the recording, but playing those same songs on my HE-400 today I don't experience any fatigue at all. This is without the tape mod btw.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #4,303 of 7,699
The mid bass more so for me could get fatiguing on bass heavy songs. The treble not so much. With the tape mod the treble is more likely to become fatiging but still it is quite smooth just has that much more presence and focus due killing the mid bass bloat.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #4,304 of 7,699
Quote:
The mid bass more so for me could get fatiguing on bass heavy songs. The treble not so much. With the tape mod the treble is more likely to become fatiging but still it is quite smooth just has that much more presence and focus due killing the mid bass bloat.

No it certainly wasn't the mid bass causing fatigue. Some of the upper frequencies in female vocals sounded a little harsh forcing me to lower the volume at those parts.

Anyway it doesn't really bother me now, I just wanted to know if anybody else experiences this.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #4,305 of 7,699
Quote:

No it certainly wasn't the mid bass causing fatigue. Some of the upper frequencies in female vocals sounded a little harsh forcing me to lower the volume at those parts.

Anyway it doesn't really bother me now, I just wanted to know if anybody else experiences this.

I guess for me depending on how loud I'd listen to those sibilant or poorly mastered tracks I'd get the same thing you are talking about. But that also entails listening at considerably loud volumes which it was rather easy to do on the IE8/IE80 (which really isn't a plus when you really think about it lol). But for the most part I am usually very critical of the volumes I listen at although I like to push it at times as well :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back