Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,571 of 7,699
Quote:
^I love seeing posts like that. Sadly wasn't the case for me, but hopefully the 4.Ai will finally do it for me when they arrive.

Yeah eventually being in this hobby there is a high probability of running into an IEM that isn't compatible to your ears. The EX1000 was it for me but not necessarily regarding fit. Sibilance and I don't get along very well :p.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3,572 of 7,699
Quote:
My IE80's just arrived. I unboxed them, put on the foam tips, fit was 100%. For two weeks now I had a song set aside as my first song to play and the sound was so great it brought a tear to my eye...

Worth the money and worth the wait. 

Did you use the foam tips that came with the IE80? From what i remember with those tips, the passage the sound comes out from is a lot thinner than the other tips which resulted in a congested sound stage. I dont have them on hand to check right now though

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3,573 of 7,699
Yea, they were the stock foam tips. But you have a good point. The opening is smaller than the other tips. I've just switched em, and I swear it sounds even better now. Good call!

I liked how the foam ones fit though. They felt more snug. But I'm pretty sure they congest the soundstage.....

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,574 of 7,699
Hey guys just got me IE80s in the mail today!

So excited I rushed to try them out for 15mins before I headed out to work. Was disappointed...thought the sound was muddy due in part to the bass.

BUT later at work I spent more time listening to them and boy was that music to my ears? (pun definitely intended :p) Even though I was only listening on on ear, as I had to speak to other people occasionally and they might call me out too (I'm working in a lab at the moment) I could feel the thump on earphones in many of my rock tracks where you'd expect the thump if you had desktop speakers <3

Better yet the highs remained clear and the mids pretty good too. Vocals were not a problem, they were crystal. 

These are definitely much more fun and better sounding than my westone UM1s!!! Which is great cause warm bass heavier (not bass head) music sound exactly what I was hoping for. It's much less neutral and flat than the UM1s. New life into music tracks indeed.

Also I used to use the rock EQ setting on my iphone4. But with these, it sounds FANTASTIC with NO EQ. Unbelievable I tell you. 

Testing them on my laptop now at 11pm in the night :p listening to Tangiers from the Bourne Ultimatum Soundtrack (does anyone listen to this? It's my go to test song for any audio equipment, the variety of sounds in this one track alone is amazing and I love the music composition too :)  )

Bass is so far so good. I am abit lost as to which tips to use there are so many. Can anyone give me a guide on which ones do what? I know complys ruin the sound so I'll just skip that...

I'm currently using the medium ones that came with the earphones since I was also using medium complys with my UM1s and they fit great I get decent bass with them so I think the seal is good, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not as perfect as it can be, and I can get even more bass. 

I haven't tuned up the bass frequency thingy yet, want to get the tips sorted first, also am quite happy with the sound now. So any guide from you guys about the stock tips will be helpful! Will purchase customs a little down the road once I understand what to look out for and know what suits me best...

Also these are bloody comfortable, as comfortable as my UM1s which for me was a 11/10! you hardly feel like you're wearing anything at all. I'm quite liking the stock cable feels solid to me, and also comes with a clip. Just curious as to why the 3.5mm stereo jack is not gold plated :p

Also just on the safe side, can anyone tell me how to be sure that I have an authentic copy of these IE80s and not a fake one? I'm just paranoid cause I heard there were fake's around! I bought them from amazon.de directly (not third party) so that's probably safe. Serial numbers are also present on the box outside and inside. 

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! Thanks :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,576 of 7,699
Quote:

Also just on the safe side, can anyone tell me how to be sure that I have an authentic copy of these IE80s and not a fake one? I'm just paranoid cause I heard there were fake's around! I bought them from amazon.de directly (not third party) so that's probably safe. Serial numbers are also present on the box outside and inside. 

just make sure you buy them from an authorized dealer
you bought them from the germany amazon and did you buy them from sennheiser? if yes they should be fine (plus they seem to sell the cheapest authorized ones)

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,577 of 7,699
Quote:

just make sure you buy them from an authorized dealer
you bought them from the germany amazon and did you buy them from sennheiser? if yes they should be fine (plus they seem to sell the cheapest authorized ones)

yeap amazon germany first hand as in not sold by a thrid party resaler but by amazon themselves

I looked at some of the photos and legit comparisons, so far nothing to be alarmed...although they look soooo similar!!!!

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,578 of 7,699
Oct 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,579 of 7,699
Just went back to the Westone UM1s for a listen just to make sure it's not the Placebo effect of $ spent.

These feel so lacking without all that bass. No oomph in the music! Not as fun or exciting or emotional! The IE80s are ****ing AESOME :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #3,580 of 7,699
Has anyone had these for a long time?  I just got these and I dropped them straight to the hard floor because my dog pulled the wire when it was on my ear.  I am quite worried if anything could be broke inside.  They sound the same, but I was just trying to see if anyone dropped these before and how reliable are they.  :frowning2: 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,582 of 7,699
Quote:
Has anyone had these for a long time?  I just got these and I dropped them straight to the hard floor because my dog pulled the wire when it was on my ear.  I am quite worried if anything could be broke inside.  They sound the same, but I was just trying to see if anyone dropped these before and how reliable are they.  :frowning2: 

They seem pretty durable, heard only positive feedback about build quality

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3,583 of 7,699
Quote:

Yeap that's the one. Thanks for the reassurance :)

Listening to them now at work again. (at the risk of sounding like a bass heard) Fantastic bass respose and clear vocals!! Sorry UM1s, I still love you but I'm over you :p

Was also wondering about the durability of these, and wonder if I should put them in the hardcase when I carry them around in my backpack, or can I just throw them in (that would be waaaayyy more convenient)

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3,584 of 7,699
Quote:
Yeap that's the one. Thanks for the reassurance :)

Listening to them now at work again. (at the risk of sounding like a bass heard) Fantastic bass respose and clear vocals!! Sorry UM1s, I still love you but I'm over you :p

Was also wondering about the durability of these, and wonder if I should put them in the hardcase when I carry them around in my backpack, or can I just throw them in (that would be waaaayyy more convenient)

using a case would be a safer option definitely although the ie80 have very good durability, i once put them on my bag which is filled with books and stuff luckily the ie80 is alright but there are alot of scratch when i took it out after a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back