Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,941 of 7,699
Quote:
I am just wondering if these pure silver cables supposedly improve the sound quality.....

The cables are terminated with copper plugs so would this not make the silver cabling pointless?

They do look pretty sweet however

Well nicholars I do hear a very apparent difference in the sound. I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't believe in them. Others have confirmed the same earlier on in this thread. There was one who didn't like the sound though as he felt it colored the sound. I feel a bit different on that. IMO it balances them out more. YMWV.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #2,944 of 7,699
Regarding earlier discussions,
i do not think the ie8/80s are better than hd650.

In fact, if you amp the hd650 well enough, it trashes the ie80 in all aspects.

The good thing with hd650 is that u can pair it to thousands of dollars of amp and it will reflect the amp's price and quality.

My ie8s are pair with twag v2.
Hd650 with twspc running with audio-gd compass.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,945 of 7,699
Quote:
Silver Cable died. R.I.P

Will be using EX600/XBA-1 & 3 as my portable since I want to baby my other IEMs at home.

It broke? If so contact zeroshoe he should be willing to assist you with warranty. I had an issue with my cheaper cable regarding the connector. He was quite helpful which lead me to pay the additional for the silver cable.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2,948 of 7,699
Quote:
I think the IE80 is great but in terms of soundstage, it feels very limited/tight. Is the IE8 better in this aspect?

It would be weird to think the IE80 have limited soundstage, for an iem, its soundstage is one of the widest.

Compared to the IE8, the IE8 should have a little more soundstage, but the IE80 according to what i read has a slight boast in the mids.
Anyway dont think u can get a new IE8 anymore now.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #2,949 of 7,699
Quote:
It would be weird to think the IE80 have limited soundstage, for an iem, its soundstage is one of the widest.

Compared to the IE8, the IE8 should have a little more soundstage, but the IE80 according to what i read has a slight boast in the mids.
Anyway dont think u can get a new IE8 anymore now.

I was actually comparing it to a W4R and I felt the sound stage was narrower. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,952 of 7,699
Quote:
I am using a RSA Predator... I was actually opting for either the IE80 or the Westone 4R.. In terms of sound stage and clarity. I chose the 4R 

interesting. i have heard the w4 before and i think that the ie80 have bigger soundstage (at least to my ear it sounded that way) but i agree that the w4 wins in clarity and instrument seperation.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,954 of 7,699
Quote:
I am using a RSA Predator... I was actually opting for either the IE80 or the Westone 4R.. In terms of sound stage and clarity. I chose the 4R 

The RSA predator is an awesome amp.
If paired with ie80, it will boast the clarity which seems to be a small weakness of the ie80s.

By the way, the knob found on the ie80 themselves makes a difference to the amount of bass and soundstage, the higher you go, the more air movement resulting in more bass and soundstage, u may want to play around.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2,955 of 7,699
Quote:
How does the IE80 measure up against the beyerdynamic DTX 101IE

Total different signature and presentation. DTX 101 if properly EQd, scale quite high, even can reach IE80 signature, but not presentation. DTX can't match IE80's soundstage. 

Quote:
I think the IE80 is great but in terms of soundstage, it feels very limited/tight. Is the IE8 better in this aspect?

Yes. To my ears, IE8 had bigger soundstage (and boomier bass) ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back