Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #2,926 of 7,699
Quote:
Basically I am looking for similar sound to HD650 but with more sub bass and a slightly more exciting sound.

Wow, dude, you might never compare HD650 to a earphone, even high-end one, it's a clear downgrade in each and every aspect. Want Sennheiser refinement and more subbas - go fo Denone D5000 or even Audeze LCD2 (if can afford one). Believe me, you'll regret this decision. A clear multi-downgrade for sure. 

Quote:
Are the IE80 less detailed than the HD650 then?

Of course they are. And these have also a pop-ish mid-bass hump that makes sub-bas veiled. These are dynamic earphone, how could these possibly match a full-sized Sennheiser legend ? Not a single chance (have both). Want sub-bass and tons of detail, grab VSonic GR07 or Weston UM3X. Want musicality , IE80's for 250$ are worth trying, but not as a replacement for the lord of refinement - HD650's...

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #2,927 of 7,699
Quote:

Wow, dude, you might never compare HD650 to a earphone, even high-end one, it's a clear downgrade in each and every aspect. Want Sennheiser refinement and more subbas - go fo Denone D5000 or even Audeze LCD2 (if can afford one). Believe me, you'll regret this decision. A clear multi-downgrade for sure. 

Of course they are. And these have also a pop-ish mid-bass hump that makes sub-bas veiled. These are dynamic earphone, how could these possibly match a full-sized Sennheiser legend ? Not a single chance (have both). Want sub-bass and tons of detail, grab VSonic GR07 or Weston UM3X. Want musicality , IE80's for 250$ are worth trying, but not as a replacement for the lord of refinement - HD650's...

I don't agree with this at all. I had the Denon 5000s and even took them to a whole different level by modding them into Open-back cans. I still have my IE80s (sold the Denons) and they still got a lot more usage time than the Denons did. Note that I do have a silver cable on it which does improve all aspects of the IE80s. I don't see it as having a mid bass hump that veils anything. The IE8 had that problem, not the IE80. Of course full size headphones are gonna have advantages over an IEM but I think many blow the differences way out of proportion. Speaking of mid bass hump, the HD650 is very well known to have emphasis on its mid bass over the sub bass just as it is known to have rolled off treble. The GR07 is a great value but I don't find it to be up to par with the IE80. Especially when you put silver cable on it there is just no comparison. Seems Vsonic believes in silver cable themselves :wink: YMWV.

I'm curious though Alex what do you pair your IE80s with? You'd be surprised how well it actually pairs with the Rocoo BA and Studio V. It is like these players were meant for Sennheiser IEMs. I never knew these IEMs could be so detailed until I tried them with the Studio V. Nothing I've paired it with comes close (SFLO2, iphone4 amped, Hifiman 601, not even the DX100 pairs as well in comparison).

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,928 of 7,699
Quote:

if you want tons of sub bass- the ie80 delivers much more of it than the gr07, and you can adjust it via the bass knob
even with eq, the gr07 dont have as much sub bass
ie80 usually run for $400+ if you dont want to risk a fake

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,929 of 7,699
I agree with Alex Roma and also with Lee :)

I'm NOT an expert and my English is to poor to explain correctly what I think.

Its true that I use more the IE-80 during my long office days, transports and walking with my dog than the HD-650,  when well paired (the best will be a Studio V, I believe Lee) the mid have a very good resolution and presence, with my T51 its just incredible in some songs/recording. You have also more bass than the HD-650 and their are more "fun".

But the HD-650  with my D7 and LD MKIII are for me just better in many aspect and I will not replace the HD-650 by a IE-80 for home listening.

But if money is an issue and I have to keep only one I will keep the IE-80. I can't live without music everywhere with me :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,930 of 7,699
Quote:
I agree with Alex Roma and also with Lee :)

I'm NOT an expert and my English is to poor to explain correctly what I think.

Its true that I use more the IE-80 during my long office days, transports and walking with my dog than the HD-650,  when well paired (the best will be a Studio V, I believe Lee) the mid have a very good resolution and presence, with my T51 its just incredible in some songs/recording. You have also more bass than the HD-650 and their are more "fun".

But the HD-650  with my D7 and LD MKIII are for me just better in many aspect and I will not replace the HD-650 by a IE-80 for home listening.

But if money is an issue and I have to keep only one I will keep the IE-80. I can't live without music everywhere with me :)

Have you had a chance to demo the Studio V Migou67? It's an amazing unit with the IE80. I'm looking forward to seeing how it fairs with the new Studio V 3rd ANV. The hiss has been greatly reduced.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2,931 of 7,699
Quote:

Have you had a chance to demo the Studio V Migou67? It's an amazing unit with the IE80. I'm looking forward to seeing how it fairs with the new Studio V 3rd ANV. The hiss has been greatly reduced.

No demo, unfortunately I don’t have this chance, I wait from long now a Studio V to replace my "old" T51, the hiss make me holding my order and I decided to wait for the HM-901, but now with the new Studio V 3rd is very hard to wait, when I back from my holiday, I think that the studio will be my next DAP for the IE-80 :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,933 of 7,699
I got my IE8 for about two years. Now, one of the drivers on the right side is broken. I know for sure that I cannot do anything with the warranty and stuff. Anyone in here have the same problem as me? Maybe we could do some trade. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,935 of 7,699
Quote:
I got my IE8 for about two years. Now, one of the drivers on the right side is broken. I know for sure that I cannot do anything with the warranty and stuff. Anyone in here have the same problem as me? Maybe we could do some trade. 

You can contact Sennheiser and see what can be done. They may be willing to repair them at a charge or possibly replace them at a discount. But your warranty is most likely out so you can expect to pay money. Not sure if it is worth it opposed to upgrading though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,936 of 7,699
Do you guys usually wear the IE80s with the cable over the ear? Is that supposed to be the 'correct' manner of wearing it? 

I'm not really a fan of putting cables over my ear. Prefer straight down like apple earbuds.

Also, I've been hearing about changing the stock cable to the silver galaxy cable (not sure of the name). But there isn't much research done for IE80s with Reference TWag v2 AND TWcu 26 HYBRID. Anyone with any info to share? :D Thanks! 

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #2,937 of 7,699
Quote:
Do you guys usually wear the IE80s with the cable over the ear? Is that supposed to be the 'correct' manner of wearing it? 

I'm not really a fan of putting cables over my ear. Prefer straight down like apple earbuds.

Also, I've been hearing about changing the stock cable to the silver galaxy cable (not sure of the name). But there isn't much research done for IE80s with Whiplash Audio Hybrid cables  made from two types of TWag cables. Anyone with any info to share? :D Thanks! 

Yeah it is called silver galaxy cable. Zeroshoe is the original producer of these cables and also has other vendors selling his cables. They have the best value for your money. The other cables are significantly more expensive but you are also paying a premium and I'm sure slightly better build quality. But I haven't had any issues with my current cable and I've had them for over a year now. I recommend wearing the IE80s over ear although you can switch the drivers from left to right and wear them down. Wearing them over ear gives the most secure fit and no microphonics. I wasn't use to over ear at one point but now I much prefer it to it dangling down. Things don't feel secure anymore that way.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #2,938 of 7,699
Quote:
Yeah it is called silver galaxy cable. Zeroshoe is the original producer of these cables and also has other vendors selling his cables. They have the best value for your money. The other cables are significantly more expensive but you are also paying a premium and I'm sure slightly better build quality. But I haven't had any issues with my current cable and I've had them for over a year now. I recommend wearing the IE80s over ear although you can switch the drivers from left to right and wear them down. Wearing them over ear gives the most secure fit and no microphonics. I wasn't use to over ear at one point but now I much prefer it to it dangling down. Things don't feel secure anymore that way.

I see. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to get used to the cable over the ear method of wearing, since microphonics are really annoying.

Should I upgrade the cable or the source first? :xf_eek: 
From what I have seen on the forum, they always say upgrade source first. But I don't think I'm ready in changing up my ipod touch to a Studio V. lol. Is the sound difference really that great? I have heard that IE80s go really well with studio V. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,939 of 7,699
I am just wondering if these pure silver cables supposedly improve the sound quality.....

The cables are terminated with copper plugs so would this not make the silver cabling pointless?

They do look pretty sweet however

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,940 of 7,699
Quote:

i have the silver galaxy cable unused right now. if you want i can let you borrow it or sell it to you
smile.gif

Hi --I am interested in buying the silver galaxy cable from you--can you send me the details of what you want-how to pay and where you are located?

jack-hanoka@sbcglobal.net--email

Thanks

jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back