Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,792 of 7,699
i think that upgrading an DAP would make more improvement than upgrading an cable IMO. i might be wrong though.

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #2,794 of 7,699
Jul 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2,795 of 7,699
So excited to hear these. The IE8 were always one of my favorite iems. I kept going back to them, even though I find them too bass heavy. Now that I have the HD650 for most of my classical listening, I'm willing to just enjoy these for what they are: rich and lush. (And, I'm curious to hear how they sound different from the IE8, too!)

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #2,796 of 7,699
Quote:
So excited to hear these. The IE8 were always one of my favorite iems. I kept going back to them, even though I find them too bass heavy. Now that I have the HD650 for most of my classical listening, I'm willing to just enjoy these for what they are: rich and lush. (And, I'm curious to hear how they sound different from the IE8, too!)

I've noticed that. While many found flaws with the IE8s, many of them still own them til this day. They may not even be the persons favorite of the bunch. But they were obviously good enough to leave a long lasting impression... The IE80s don't have as much mid bass which is perfect IMO. The focus is more on sub bass than mid bass. Due to this the mid range and treble are more upfront and clear. The sound stage is slightly smaller IMO but you get more intimacy which is a plus.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #2,798 of 7,699
Quote:
I've noticed that. While many found flaws with the IE8s, many of them still own them til this day. They may not even be the persons favorite of the bunch. But they were obviously good enough to leave a long lasting impression... The IE80s don't have as much mid bass which is perfect IMO. The focus is more on sub bass than mid bass. Due to this the mid range and treble are more upfront and clear. The sound stage is slightly smaller IMO but you get more intimacy which is a plus.

Sounds perfect!

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,799 of 7,699
Now, I am a sucker for soundstaging, and I adore headphones that can reproduce a massive amount of details, headphones that are quick, and as a result of those also often treble happy headphones. At the same time I want a lot of impact and good quality bass to go with it. As a result, mu full size is naturally (to me anyway) the HD800. So now I bought the IE 80 hoping to find the in-ear equivalent of it, and guess what? I did! At least to a satisfying extent for the money (I mean its only a fourth of the price of the HD800). Now I did consider waiting for the IE800, but being a cable-freak and owning a balanced amp (Rx MK3b), an IEM without removable cables was a no-go. I took a chance, and was rewarded. What an incredible soundstage from an IEM! And however cliche it might sound, its almost like one can feel the music - what i mean by that, is that there is enough detail, that for example when the string of a violin is struck, you can hear the bow hitting the string, and the texture of it as it glides across the string... I have to say Sennheiser has impressed me quite a lot lately. Now I probably sound like either a tacky commercial or an old fart, even though I'm actually a Death-metal-loving wacko, but I have to give credit where its due, and this it definitely one of the places. Fair enough, there are 'better' IEMs on the market in some respects, but though it is expensive, the IE80 is still in the low end of the bracket compared to its competitors. So kudos to Sennheiser - If you throw some removable cables on the IE800 I'll be sure to pick those up as well! Oh, and the case the IE80 comes with is quite brilliant as well I have to say.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,800 of 7,699
Quote:
I've noticed that. While many found flaws with the IE8s, many of them still own them til this day.

Which is almost 4 years, as of summer 2012.

Plus, they're almost indestructible. I accidentially left them in a shirt pocket yesterday and they spent about an hour in the washer. Was pretty sure that this would be the end of it, but here they are, one day later, sounding even cleaner than before.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2,801 of 7,699
Quote:

Which is almost 4 years, as of summer 2012.

Plus, they're almost indestructible. I accidentially left them in a shirt pocket yesterday and they spent about an hour in the washer. Was pretty sure that this would be the end of it, but here they are, one day later, sounding even cleaner than before.
wink.gif

smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2,802 of 7,699
just curious.from a scale of 1 to 10 how much do u guys love the ie80? for me i give them a 9

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #2,803 of 7,699
Quote:
Fair enough, there are 'better' IEMs on the market in some respects, but though it is expensive, the IE80 is still in the low end of the bracket compared to its competitors. So kudos to Sennheiser - If you throw some removable cables on the IE800 I'll be sure to pick those up as well! Oh, and the case the IE80 comes with is quite brilliant as well I have to say.

Welcome to the bunch mate
beerchug.gif

And yeah, I do have to agree with you. While the IE80 might not be as technically competitive as other high end IEMs, it's arguably one of the most musical and enjoyable pairs out there.  The ability to cope well with just about any kinds of music and source you throw at it, and also the comfort, durability and not-so-bad isolation make it an absolute bargain (at the price I got it), and I'm hardly finding it surprising to hear the name IE8/IE80 echoed so many times in this forum.

On a side note, I picked up my Studio V and the IE80 seemed to pair with them much better than the PFE 232. All the reason to fall in love again
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #2,804 of 7,699
Yeah a technically fantastic IEM can be great in certain areas of music and completely fail on in other areas. The IE80 is a good all-arounder. I'd rather have an IEM that is good at most genres than just a couple genres. Comparing the IE80s to other higher tier IEMs such as FX700 and EX1000 I'd give the IE80 with the silver cable a big 9 out of 10 as well. I grade the FX700 around the same score but I don't get as much musical enjoyment as I do the IE80.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #2,805 of 7,699
Its a shame they arent a bit cheaper because you are paying a premium for the Sennheiser brand....

Compared to the competition I think about £160 would be a fair price... £230 is a bit much for what they are IMO. I would buy them for £160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back