Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,206 of 7,699

Quote:
Well Mepp is the only one so far having issues with sibilance. Another headfi member had issues with it before they burned in after which their IE8s were no longer sibilant in any way. They are one of the most non-fatiguing IEMS out there period to none.

I think you mean "second to none" 
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,208 of 7,699
The fact that some people aren't bothered by sibilance (like me), doesn't mean that there isn't a sibilance issue for others. I mean, some are more sensitive to that while others are much less. I think read somewhere that the sibilance can be a little subjective where in the frequency range it's heard as well due to different ears etcetera.

It's a shame that Mepp is having an issue with sibilance. As said, I'm lucky when it comes to sibilance that I just don't have an issue with it.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,209 of 7,699

Quote:
I bring two of the three to work every day, and its always a difficult decision on which two

EDIT: not the slightest sibilance or harshness in treble

Yes I could not remember experiencing any sibilance with the IE80. Harshness in IE80's treble? That got be kidding or it could be a faked IE80.
wink_face.gif

I find carrying EX1000 not as handy as carrying the IE80. Given my experience with the EX600 cable, I don't think the EX1000 cable can take the "abuse" as much as the IE80 can.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,211 of 7,699
i found that some tips effect sound as in if they allow the iem to move or wiggle you can lose the bass and mid range. I find if i push the tip deeper into the ear i get more bass so i ended up going for the double flange initially to get a deeper insertion. However the double flange felt like i had a football wedged in my ear after a while so settled for the single flange.

Also if you care to look back through a couple of pages i mentioned similar findings to what you described though not in your detail and I was advised to give it burn in time but me being me I bought the galaxy silver cable and it took away all the trebly/sibilance that was annoying me. 

BTW what are you using as a source and are you playing flacs - all those observations could just as easily be a source issue - try another player if you havent already

EDIT: just been reading about the effect on sound that different tips make over here http://www.innerfidelity.com./content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection
well worth a read

Thanks for bringing up source - I usually use my iPhone 4 with no eq and the files are not FLAC. I was under the impression that the IE80s are pretty forgiving so the source didn't really come to mind. That said I'm willing to allow more burn in time with regards to the sibilance issue since that's what seemed to do it for most people. What I'm more curious to know is which tips eventually worked out for you guys? The Meelec extra-long seem promising but they only have it in medium.

I find the ie80's sub-bass/jet rumble really great, actually I was thinking in my mind how good it was excatly when I was reading your post haha. IMO the IE80's lower freq go even deeper (although just slightly) than the FX700's (but for some reason I still prefer the bass on the fx700), and equally deep if not more than the EX1000's (much more presence, ex1000's go allllll the way down and sound great, just not enough bass volume).

I'm still in this rock/paper/scissors conundrum of which I prefer out of the three...

for me:

the FX700's sound 'off' after listening to the IE80's
the IE80's sound 'off' after listening to the EX1000's
and the EX1000's sound 'off' after listening to the FX700's

I bring two of the three to work every day, and its always a difficult decision on which two

EDIT: not the slightest sibilance or harshness in treble

It's interesting that you note the bass as a rumble because I would describe mine more as simply being present. Can you name a few songs in which you're hearing the deep rumbling bass?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,212 of 7,699
Yup, ts500 indeed. You can find all this on their website; they've got info for a lot of brands

Quote:
What size of the Comply foam tips fit the IE80s?  Is it T500?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2,213 of 7,699
so after an hour after 2 hour of listening the ie 80 with the silver galaxy cable i notice some different in the sound. the bass and treble seems more controlled and theres a little bit more of clarity. the vocal seems more clearer too. but honestly speaking i have a hard time to spot the difference (untrained ear) but im sure experts would find the difference instantly. i have to swap between the stock cable and the silver cable to spot the different in sound.
heres some pic of the silver cable. i tested it with an old 30gb ipod video with no amp.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #2,214 of 7,699

Quote:
so after an hour after 2 hour of listening the ie 80 with the silver galaxy cable i notice some different in the sound. the bass and treble seems more controlled and theres a little bit more of clarity. the vocal seems more clearer too. but honestly speaking i have a hard time to spot the difference (untrained ear) but im sure experts would find the difference instantly. i have to swap between the stock cable and the silver cable to spot the different in sound.
heres some pic of the silver cable. i tested it with an old 30gb ipod video with no amp.

i have no idea why you aren't hearing too much difference, there may be many factors as to why though I dont think its because your ears are untrained. If you appreciate the SQ on your IE's then your ears are probably just fine.
For me I was using a new pair of IE80's without an amp and it basically smoothed and enriched the sound out especially the treble.I could hear the difference instantly and I was impressed enough to post about here. Maybe the cable had more of an impact on my un-burnt in pair.
I hope you do get some benefit from the cable in your setup. I would suggest a flat EQ and all other digital enhancements turned off, lossless music and maybe also without the amp as a starting comparison point.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,215 of 7,699

Quote:

I am aware of burn-in but I'm also wondering if this has more to do with ear tips seal and fit. On the Sensaphonics test, the higher note is unmistakeably louder. Of all the stock tips, the large dual-flange have been the best fit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

i was unaware of that sensophonics test so i googled it http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833 and downloaded the test files. 

You are supposed to hear the high & low frequencies evenly but when i ran my 1st test using the stock single flange i couldnt hear the bass tone very much at all so i decided to run through the tests with the entire stock range. Im glad i did because the tip that worked the best i had never tried as it looked to round and fat but it has really improved the sound and isolation that I was up till 2am this morning listening to them.
I have attached a pic for others to see which tip it was. Of course its my ears that it worked best but anyway I would recommend that sensaphonics test if you haven't already

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,216 of 7,699

Quote:

i have no idea why you aren't hearing too much difference, there may be many factors as to why though I dont think its because your ears are untrained. If you appreciate the SQ on your IE's then your ears are probably just fine.
For me I was using a new pair of IE80's without an amp and it basically smoothed and enriched the sound out especially the treble.I could hear the difference instantly and I was impressed enough to post about here. Maybe the cable had more of an impact on my un-burnt in pair.
I hope you do get some benefit from the cable in your setup. I would suggest a flat EQ and all other digital enhancements turned off, lossless music and maybe also without the amp as a starting comparison point.

yeah your right. maybe i rushed my impression. as time goes i can tell more the difference more between the silver cable and the stock cable.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #2,217 of 7,699

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up source - I usually use my iPhone 4 with no eq and the files are not FLAC. I was under the impression that the IE80s are pretty forgiving so the source didn't really come to mind. That said I'm willing to allow more burn in time with regards to the sibilance issue since that's what seemed to do it for most people. What I'm more curious to know is which tips eventually worked out for you guys? The Meelec extra-long seem promising but they only have it in medium.
It's interesting that you note the bass as a rumble because I would describe mine more as simply being present. Can you name a few songs in which you're hearing the deep rumbling bass?

I've been using a few songs for comparisons, mostly lesser known dj's but still very good nonetheless

just recently stumbled on this song, which is what I was listening to when I made my previous comment about the rumbling bass (24s, 55s):

http://soundcloud.com/russliquid/who-gives-a-where-you-ft-three

for pure sub-bass, I've used this: (noticable off the start, but hits that real low note @ 23 second mark)

http://soundcloud.com/jaspey/stacking

and a for a great all-around bass and my benchmark for 3D soundstage (around 45 second mark)

http://soundcloud.com/goldrush/outkast-take-off-your-cool

I'm still working with different tips as well, so far i'm liking the double flange tips- all s, m, l fits great, but the large ones get a bit uncomfortable after a while

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,218 of 7,699
Lightning I'm curious if you are using comply foam tips on your IE80s? That will adversely affect the sound of the IE80s and for the worse IMO. Comply tips tend to muffle the sound, increase bass and ruin the treble and mid range.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,219 of 7,699
I got a problem. The EX1000 is now taking over the IE80 except for the music dominated by violin sound at high notes. This is not a good sign man.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back