Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,952 of 7,699

Quote:
for anyone who has the silver galaxy cable, any suggestions on how to keep the wires from falling off so easily without gluing it together?

Are you talking about the connector(s) at the earpieces? The earpiece connectors on my Silver Universe cable are very tight and secure. If yours are loose you can either talk to the seller about replacing the whole cable, or very carefully warm the connector black boot with a hair dryer (or similar) to shrink the tubing a bit so it fits more snugly. Obviously be very careful to not over heat anything.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,953 of 7,699
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a silver Galaxy cable for my IE 80 with ACS sleeves. Please can anyone advise if the difference truly worthwhile compared to the stock cable?

I have a Peli 1010 case which fits the IE 80 with custom sleeves attached very well. Would the IE 80s fit with a silver Galaxy cable attached? The photos on eBay show the cable wound in large circles which appear to be too large for the Peli 1010 case. A further factor is that the ACS sleeves make IE 80s sit higher up in my ear so the silver cable needs to be at least as flexible as the stock cable.

I am enjoying the IE 80, especially the wide soundstage compared to my old IE 7. The soundstage is comparable to my TMA-1 headphones.

Kind regards,

Martyn

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,954 of 7,699

Quote:
Are you talking about the connector(s) at the earpieces? The earpiece connectors on my Silver Universe cable are very tight and secure. If yours are loose you can either talk to the seller about replacing the whole cable, or very carefully warm the connector black boot with a hair dryer (or similar) to shrink the tubing a bit so it fits more snugly. Obviously be very careful to not over heat anything.

Yes, the earpieces occasionally fall out just from light use, its a little worrisome that I could lose one because of that. I contacted the seller, I'm a bit afraid to do anything myself in chance that I screwed something up haha

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,955 of 7,699
Quote:
I just got my IE 80. I took some photos for you all, maybe they will help others to see if they have genuine or not. I think I have genuine IE80 (bought from Sweden, our stores does usually not sell fake products). The only reason why mine might be fake is that they have cut the serial-number out which I think is very strange...

Here is the photos:

The box weighted 369g when it was unopened.

I finaly got my IE80 from Sennheiser and just want to say that they wheight 360g when they are unoppened. That's strange, but I'm pretty sure they both is original. I guess we can't find out if we have real or fake IE80 from the weight of the IEMs. It took Sennheiser about 2 month to send my new IE80 but I'm really glad that I have got my IE80 again, so I will unbox them and start listen right away!

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,956 of 7,699
I'm really loving these now. At halfway between 8 to 9 o'clock (or 9 o'clock) on my iPod > LOD > Meier Porta Corda III rig, they sound warm, quite boring but just fine for background music. But at 10 o'clock, they became much much clearer. Everything is much more textured, especially vocals. They don't sound too warm anymore, rather - natural, detailed with a slightly dark tonality. Cymbals sound amazing on the IE 80 - perfect treble quantity for me, and with realistic decay. Pianos sound full and natural. Mids are oh-so natural with a slight hint of warmth; perfect for keeping harshness away. Soundstage is incredible. Very large, and most of the time they feel out of your head. But, they can't portray intimacy very well as some others may say. At some songs, I want to "feel" the vocals more, and I just don't get it that much with the IE 80. But, I'll just forget about it, because everything sounds so good...

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,957 of 7,699
Hey wvweyone bought some ie 80s couple of weeks ago and love them. What can I use to make them sound better on my iPhone 4 from cable to tips as I've heard there the main thing too change about them. I will also not be really using them with an amp

Thanks people

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,960 of 7,699
haha, it was a joke
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,961 of 7,699

Quote:

Answer: It has turned into Digital Sh!t.

LP's ripped with good equipment are extremely better than CD's, iTunes, etc....all you need to do is listen.

Just when my interest in IEM's was dying down after I settled down to the IE80's, listening to these ripped LP's is mind-blowing to me. There is distinct difference I am hearing between the CD-ripped 320 kbps and the LP-ripped 320 kbps. The latter sounds more dynamic with fuller bass, more clarity, freshness and liveliness. Let's just say more musical.

The change reminds me of the image quality improvement I noticed when I switched from Canon 40D to full-frame 5D a few yrs ago. There is NO doubt they will be my primary choice of music from now on (actually started a couple of weeks ago).

Recently, I have also discovered that the 320 kbps ripped from the Minidisk's sounds better than those ripped from regular CD's.

What is going on with the CD's?

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,962 of 7,699

Quote:

Just when my interest in IEM's was dying down after I settled down to the IE80's, listening to these ripped LP's is mind-blowing to me. There is distinct difference I am hearing between the CD-ripped 320 kbps and the LP-ripped 320 kbps. The latter sounds more dynamic with fuller bass, more clarity, freshness and liveliness. Let's just say more musical.

The change reminds me of the image quality improvement I noticed when I switched from Canon 40D to full-frame 5D a few yrs ago. There is NO doubt they will be my primary choice of music from now on (actually started a couple of weeks ago).

Recently, I have also discovered that the 320 kbps ripped from the Minidisk's sounds better than those ripped from regular CD's.

They're just different masterings and you prefer the other two to the one on the CD, as a format nothing is wrong with CDs.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,963 of 7,699

Quote:

I've seen some odd things go on with cd's in the last few years too. Quality speaking, perhaps cheaper to cut cost. Then I think japan comes out with these SHM-CD pieces of sh%t, its the same crap plastic and you pay triple. Check out pbthal. If you find his rips and see something you like, well.....you can just thank me later :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,964 of 7,699
For those interested, take a look at these, wow they make quite a difference!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200719007971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2816wt_1023

Just received them and tested out a few songs, music sounds better but im thinking soundstage might have been reduced slightly. I'll have to test further.

edit: something that i noticed, i get a much better seal with these and as a result have much more bass. With the original tips i always kept the dial at 3 and got adequate bass, but now with these i'll have to dial it down because it's a little overpowering.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,965 of 7,699
Perhaps i rushed my impressions. After further listening, these aren't as good as the originals at all. All that's improved is bass, but soundstage suffers a lot. Also it seems as if instruments and different sounds are much closer together rather than spaced out and airy that u get with the originals. 

Consider these tips a disappointment to me. But purchasing these actually brought to light an issue i didn't know that i had, bad seal. I'll try look for other tips now, preferably ones that achieve the best of both worlds, ie.. good seal and good soundstage. Anyone have any tips (pun intended :p)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back