Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #7,622 of 7,699
I've never used the IE80 without an EQ. They sounded very dark and veiled.
Here are the settings used with my Sony A15:
VPT Surround: Studio
EQ:
1 Khz band - 2 notches up
2 Khz band - 2 notches up
6 Khz band - 2 notches down
16 Khz band - 1 notch up.

Besides these settings I was also using the tape mod.
The mids were opened up decently.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7,623 of 7,699
Does anyone know if the nozzles for the tips on the IE80s are the same as on the IE4, CX 2xx/300 and MM 30/40s? I've found a custom tip manufacturer here but they don't explicitly list IE80s as compatible.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #7,624 of 7,699
Hi guys, I'm new here and new to audio stuff as well. Definitely not an audiophile. I've read almost 50% of this thread to learn more about my IE80 that I recently bought. I'm using it mainly for gaming, movies, and some musics (only spotify) mostly on my desktop PC.

As IE80 is a sensitive IEM, quite a loud noise/hiss produced when I plugged it in to my PC. I'm in search for budget desktop DAC. Below $100 perhaps. I'm thinking about E10K but from review, it produces warm sound which is not good for already bassy IE80. But not so sure myself. Other alternative is AudioEngine D1 which I can get a used one for good price. I've also read suggestion on Modi, but it needs to be paired with amp right?

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #7,625 of 7,699
Pre-emptive apologies for incoming negative post:

I received my IE80s from Amazon (sold by Amazon) mid last week, and here are my thoughts: ...uh, what the hell?!

I can't say with absolute certainty that I didn't get 'fakes' (even though every single sign that they are authentic has been checked) but my gosh, do they sound bad. I'm almost confused. I've read a number of posts about things like a great sound stage and high levels of detail but my pair sound like I'm listening to music under water. Seriously, there are no highs; snares are barely audible, cymbals sound a mile away, vocals sound like they are under a blanket, etc. I'm not trying to exaggerate but I don't how else to describe it. These headphones seem to have an EQ curve that nose dives above the center-mids.

The chance of fakes from Amazon is high. I know I definitely bought a counterfeit IE8 from Amazon last year, because I had another pair before and the "new" one sounded nothing like the real deal.

The IE8x line definitely has some of the Sennheiser veil, but I much prefer that to the overly hot, snappy treble of more appreciated brands. If there's sibilance, I'm out.
Anyway, "vocals under a blanket" is not what the IE80 should sound like. Tamed highs? Absolutely. Recessed vocals? Not really.

Have you tried tinkering with the bass knob? If you can't hear a difference when you turn it up, you have a fake.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7,626 of 7,699
Just got myself a IE80 at a super cheap sale recently, sounds really good I must say!
But the built quality is very cheapo looking and lightweight, and mine is made in China. But ultimately, I still love my IE80 as it sounds really good! Definitely nothing inferior compared to many iems that is in my collection!

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7,627 of 7,699
Just got myself a IE80 at a super cheap sale recently, sounds really good I must say!
But the built quality is very cheapo looking and lightweight, and mine is made in China. But ultimately, I still love my IE80 as it sounds really good! Definitely nothing inferior compared to many iems that is in my collection!
how much did you get them for?

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #7,628 of 7,699
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #7,630 of 7,699
Sorry....

I am really sorry...

That is not a geniuine ie80, that is 100% not made by Sennheiser...

I got it from a reputable store in Singapore, very respected in headfi community here.
No, it's the real thing not fake.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #7,631 of 7,699
Congrats to the new gear, and welcome to the forum! I hope you will enjoy them!

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7,633 of 7,699
It would be hard to say for certain. Mine are also made in China, and I got them cheap from Amazon. They are authentic, and sound great! After a balanced cable upgrade, they became my most favorite pair of IEM.

Fake as well, probably

ie80 made by Sennheiser should come from Austria, Germany or somewhere in Europe...

Sennheiser does not sell those for a lower than 200$ or so officially, so all other deals from China are most probably fakes, unless second hand.

I know that with ie800, there are a lot of good fakes, even credible ones, but they are still fake. some fakes were hard to dicern from the original actually , and they passed that test on Senn's online page, so please try to buy only from authorised dealers if you want the full experience with Sennheiser.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #7,634 of 7,699
Fake as well, probably

ie80 made by Sennheiser should come from Austria, Germany or somewhere in Europe...

Not true!! Many Sennheiser products, including the IE80, are made in China. (They may also be made in Europe I guess.) I know this because I purchased IE80's here in the US from Best Buy, a national chain, that is also an Sennheiser Authorized Dealer and the sealed IE80 package had 'Made in China' written in it along with the Sennheiser Hologram.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,635 of 7,699
Not true!! Many Sennheiser products, including the IE80, are made in China. (They may also be made in Europe I guess.) I know this because I purchased IE80's here in the US from Best Buy, a national chain, that is also an Sennheiser Authorized Dealer and the sealed IE80 package had 'Made in China' written in it along with the Sennheiser Hologram.

That is different from purchasing them from China...

Also, their higher end models are made in Germany - I bought ie8 at a time when they were also made in Europe AFAIK. Need to find the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back