Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #7,576 of 7,699
Hello!

Sorry to 'spam' this impression thread with questions regarding legit headhpones.

Would anyone be so kind to take a picture of the connection on their legit IE80s?
I'm losing sleep...

Reference:
26.jpg

5qgR6hi.png

My IE80 headphones

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #7,579 of 7,699
Where have you bought yours from, and how much did you pay for them?

Bought them last year, advertised as "demo used" from an ebay seller with what I remember good reputation/feedback.
Funny thing is, this user is no longer registered. And when looking on his feedback, there are some users claiming he's been selling fake goods.

I paid $115 for these. I was suspicious of them being fakes, but since it was a good price, and compared to definitive fakes around $50 I gave them a shot. Did not receive them in any package, just mailed in protective plastic and with accessories.

SQ:
I think they sound pretty good. Better than MEE M6 Pro, which is what I have to compare them with. And they look pretty legit.. except for the connectors which I recently became aware of.

Since I've had custom ear molds made for these I really wish I could test some legit ones..

ie80_1.png
0DWq2EH.png

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #7,580 of 7,699
Bought them last year, advertised as "demo used" from an ebay seller with what I remember good reputation/feedback.
Funny thing is, this user is no longer registered. And when looking on his feedback, there are some users claiming he's been selling fake goods.

I paid $115 for these. I was suspicious of them being fakes, but since it was a good price, and compared to definitive fakes around $50 I gave them a shot. Did not receive them in any package, just mailed in protective plastic and with accessories.

SQ:
I think they sound pretty good. Better than MEE M6 Pro, which is what I have to compare them with. And they look pretty legit.. except for the connectors which I recently became aware of.

Since I've had custom ear molds made for these I really wish I could test some legit ones..

ie80_1.png
0DWq2EH.png

Yeah... I am really sorry about this, but I think they're fake...

The sound of some fakes is extremely good though, just not exactly the same as the originals.

If you're happy right now, this is all that matters!

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #7,581 of 7,699
Yeah... I am really sorry about this, but I think they're fake...

The sound of some fakes is extremely good though, just not exactly the same as the originals.

If you're happy right now, this is all that matters!

Hmm yeah think you are right.
They actually sound really good, but now I want the real deal... haha
Especially because I spent the money for custom ear molds

Just a thought:
Anyone based in Europe somewhere, with legit IE80 who could do a comparison for me?
This means me sending these to you, and paying for postage back to Norway. :D

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #7,582 of 7,699
Update:

Found a pair of IE80 on German Amazon (US don't send to Norway, or you could but it's a bit of a hassle) for 150€. With tax/vat the total is around 190€ which I think is a good price.
The store only had one pair, and they usually sell for 299€.

I must say.. these sound amazing..!
I expect some burn in time, but even right out of the box they sound amazing. I haven't messed with the bass adjuster yet, even the lowest setting is really deep and punchy!
and the soundstage.. wow.

Some pictures for comparison with the fakes:
efJIwA9.png

OIPF2fD.png

The bass adjuster markings are bigger on the fakes. They both have the Sennheiser logo cut in/lasered (?) into the plate. No cheap sticker on the fakes.
As the last picture shows, and what made be suspicious now after a year, is the connectors. But they fakes are really well made.. they don't feel or look cheap at all!

Welp, thanks for me.. lesson learned :D

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7,583 of 7,699
Update:

Found a pair of IE80 on German Amazon (US don't send to Norway, or you could but it's a bit of a hassle) for 150€. With tax/vat the total is around 190€ which I think is a good price.
The store only had one pair, and they usually sell for 299€.

I must say.. these sound amazing..!
I expect some burn in time, but even right out of the box they sound amazing. I haven't messed with the bass adjuster yet, even the lowest setting is really deep and punchy!
and the soundstage.. wow.

Some pictures for comparison with the fakes:
efJIwA9.png

OIPF2fD.png

The bass adjuster markings are bigger on the fakes. They both have the Sennheiser logo cut in/lasered (?) into the plate. No cheap sticker on the fakes.
As the last picture shows, and what made be suspicious now after a year, is the connectors. But they fakes are really well made.. they don't feel or look cheap at all!

Welp, thanks for me.. lesson learned :D

Glad to hear you're now rocking a geniune pair!

Hope it brings you thousand of hours of happiness!

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #7,587 of 7,699
Looks less premium then the older model. But still, sennheiser updating ie80 with 's' moniker means that this model will remain as popular as ever and i would say even enjoy legendary status like hd800. Hope they didn't change the tuning from their previous model although little refinement here and there is always welcome.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #7,589 of 7,699
The more I think of it, I get this feeling that may be Sennheiser is being a little lazy. This is the 3rd model using a similar body. It's like they use the same shell design and slap new faceplates every 5 years and launch it as a new product. But I could live with that as long as it sounds good and is a considerable improvement over the IE80 as the competition has caught up and surpassed in performance in these few years. If it's going to be just a marginal improvement over the IE80,... well, I hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back