Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,546 of 7,699
I got Shure SE-215's and I'm thinking about upgrading. Is the upgrade worth it? I mostly use my IEM's with my iPhone 6s with Bass Boost EQ. I'm a basshead and I'm really looking for bassy IEM's with more/better sub-bass.
Thanks.

certainly more low end and IMO dynamic driver is the friend of bass heads. depending where you plan to use it, keep in mind that the IE80 has very average isolation against external noises, when shure has one of the best you can find in universal IEMs.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,547 of 7,699
certainly more low end and IMO dynamic driver is the friend of bass heads. depending where you plan to use it, keep in mind that the IE80 has very average isolation against external noises, when shure has one of the best you can find in universal IEMs.

What about against the iSine? Haven't heard it myself but planars usually give more physical impact than dynamic drivers ime. Also, Shure definitely isolates better than the IE 80 but for long term listening I find the IE 80 more comfortable and musical than the 535 I use to have.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #7,550 of 7,699
That concerns me a bit. Maybe go with SE215m+SPE with extended bass or SE425 with overall better sound?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #7,551 of 7,699
You would be surprised how large the soundstage of ie800 is considering that they are probably the smallest IEMs in the world
biggrin.gif

Ie80 felt a bit big to me when I was into them actually. Not the IEM body but the bore size, it would work best as a very shallow fit .
I think that the Flare R2 series are definitely smaller than the IE800s and their soundstage is amazing.

May 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #7,552 of 7,699
I've noticed the bass level has dropped on my ie80 ( Bass port has been taped since the 1st month I got them ). Has anybody else experienced that?

I have the Momentum Over Ear, Vsonic vsd3, ie60 ( which I compare regularly with ) for as long as I've had my ie80 and the difference from a year ago is very noticeable.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #7,553 of 7,699
I've noticed the bass level has dropped on my ie80 ( Bass port has been taped since the 1st month I got them ). Has anybody else experienced that?

I have the Momentum Over Ear, Vsonic vsd3, ie60 ( which I compare regularly with ) for as long as I've had my ie80 and the difference from a year ago is very noticeable.

Yes, I noticed this too. The bass seems to come back after some time though. Brain burn-in could be a factor as well.

May 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #7,557 of 7,699
I picked up the IE80 last week using birthday money. I'm a big fan of the HD650 and was hoping for something similar but portable. They are in another league from other IEMs I've tried but quite enjoyable. That mid bass though, I don't know how anyone even touches the bass knob on these. I haven't moved them from the lowest setting. I'd also like a bit more sparkle in the treble. I'll see how burn in goes, I have very few hours on them right now. None of the tips were very comfortable so I squeezed some SpinFits on. Also considering the tape mod and a cable swap. I love the build.

May 31, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #7,558 of 7,699
I picked up the IE80 last week using birthday money. I'm a big fan of the HD650 and was hoping for something similar but portable. They are in another league from other IEMs I've tried but quite enjoyable. That mid bass though, I don't know how anyone even touches the bass knob on these. I haven't moved them from the lowest setting. I'd also like a bit more sparkle in the treble. I'll see how burn in goes, I have very few hours on them right now. None of the tips were very comfortable so I squeezed some SpinFits on. Also considering the tape mod and a cable swap. I love the build.

Is this still a good buy for $200? I kinda miss the sound of the ie80 which is bassy and great for rnb and hiphop... i also have the ie800 but they seem to be more on the bright side which i also like plus the controlled bass, i guess what i wanted to ask is, am i making the right move getting an ie80 when i already have an ie800? I dont plan on letting go of the ie800 if ever... just want the ie80 for bass heavy listening... thanks in advance for any inputs :) reason i'm asking is whether its better to put the money on an ie80 considering its age (though i'm getting a brand new one with sennheiser warranty)...

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #7,559 of 7,699

I also used ie80 on the lowest bass setting. Tons of bass with those ones!

Is this still a good buy for $200? I kinda miss the sound of the ie80 which is bassy and great for rnb and hiphop... i also have the ie800 but they seem to be more on the bright side which i also like plus the controlled bass, i guess what i wanted to ask is, am i making the right move getting an ie80 when i already have an ie800? I dont plan on letting go of the ie800 if ever... just want the ie80 for bass heavy listening... thanks in advance for any inputs :) reason i'm asking is whether its better to put the money on an ie80 considering its age (though i'm getting a brand new one with sennheiser warranty)...

Depends a lot on what you wish for! I didn't really use ie80 anymore after getting ie800 so my wife has my ie80 now, but they do have their unique sound.

IF you want an ie800 with more bass and that is also portable, Senn M2 IEBT or HD1 (same IEM) is a very nice BT IEM. I actually like M2 IEBT quite a lot and would recommend it if you want great bass and clarity.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #7,560 of 7,699
Hi,

So i got my Sennheiser ie80 2 days ago and iam a bit dissapointed by the highs they ar really harsh and rough will this go away after they are burned in? Or could it also be caused by my device? A samsng galaxy phone.
I just picked up a pair a couple days ago after my monster turbines started showing channel imbalance. I agree that with some material there can be some harshness, I notice it primarily with cymbals. Sometimes with over enunciated S's as well. I'm hoping this tames itself down after some burn in...if not, they may need to go back. Too bad, too. I really enjoy the overall presentation these give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back