Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #7,261 of 7,699

i no longer have it, it got replaced with the superior pinnacle 1

also i dont think the valhalla 2 sounds good in low gain imo 
frown.gif

Actually it's excellent!

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #7,263 of 7,699
  Anyone know IEMs which obviously have better soundstage (expecially full 3D imaging) than IE80 except IE800? Thanks!

within the same price range?

in terms of budget offerings I quite like the Havi B3 - actually it has the same housing shape as the ie80! 
it has a wider soundstage imo, smoother highs and mids but bass is a little flatter. however, it's also harder to drive - i've found the volume too low for my liking.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #7,265 of 7,699
  within the same price range?

in terms of budget offerings I quite like the Havi B3 - actually it has the same housing shape as the ie80! 
it has a wider soundstage imo, smoother highs and mids but bass is a little flatter. however, it's also harder to drive - i've found the volume too low for my liking.

Really! You mean width only or..? Don't think IE80 is easy to drive. It's easy to get loud sound, but definitely not easy to drive. Now I use desktop amplifier to drive IE80! When both well-drived, I doubt B3 can be wider than 80. Moreover, the most impressive of 80's soundstage is its 3D imaging. Not only width and depth, but also height.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7,267 of 7,699
Just sent my Flare R2As off to have custom shells added so it's back to the IE80s. It's interesting to compare the difference between the two. I think the Flares have much better clarity and this must add to soundstage. The thing about the Flares is the almost 'out of head' experience. While the IE80s have almost as wide a soundstage I'm still very aware that I'm listening to in ear monitors. I don't get this feeling with the Flares.

Now I have removed the tape mod from the Senns and am thinking of restoring it. While the bass is strong I can hear it overflowing into the mids.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #7,269 of 7,699
i am treble sensitive, how are the highs on the ie80? are they fatiguing at all? or are they pulled back a bit like the HD650s? 

wouldn't say they're treble centric at all, quite smooth and recessed. I would say iems like the Westone 4r have forward treble but definitely not the highlight of ie80.

I have a review about if ur interested (and also nice photos! :p)
https://accessibleaudio.wordpress.com/2016/06/19/sennheiser-ie80-a-single-dd-classic/

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #7,270 of 7,699
Nice, seems like the ie80s will be good for me :)

Tbh I've never worn iems before!! Mostly been using hd650 but I've tried many headphones and i m just not a fan of how they feel in general so hoping iems will be a better fit for me since I wear ear plugs to bed and am used to seeing my wax.

Tbh I'm gonna start with the sennheiser CX 3.00 and if it works out good I'll get the ie80 with mt o2odac and call it end game :D just not ready to spend that much on iems right noe lol, so will try the CX 3.0 first.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #7,271 of 7,699
tbh trying to debate if i should just get the ie80s now or the cx 3.0 and later the ie80s - thing is i went through a crzy headphone phase where i bought i bought a bunch of headphones and ended up returning a few of them simply cus comfort issues and i hate doing that, so i dont want to buy the ie80s but then find out they are uncomfortable for me or something and return them :frowning2: but at the same time i dont wanna get the cx 3.00 and then be like "oh i should have gotten the ie80!!!" 

so if i am a guy who is treble sensitive and clamp sensitive (headphones) and I sleep with earplugs every night, so im used to having things deep in my ears - the ie80s should be perfect for me right?

tbh i have NEVER worn IEMS before, only those cheap 1$ plastic earbuds that hurt like hell - and i know these aren't they - but i still feel like they will hurt like the plastic 1$ earbuds cus thats the closest thing ive worn to IEMS lol 

also i feel it may be uncomfortable the way the wire wraps over the ear in the ie80s - is it comfortable with glasses? anyone here use ie80s with glasseS? 

ie80 + glasses should be more comfortable than most headphones + glasses right? 

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #7,272 of 7,699

also i feel it may be uncomfortable the way the wire wraps over the ear in the ie80s - is it comfortable with glasses? anyone here use ie80s with glasseS? 

ie80 + glasses should be more comfortable than most headphones + glasses right? 

Not really. The cable just sits on top and goes around the back of your ear. There's no pressure or anything, you just feel the cable there. Whereas with headphones, because there is clamping force (some more than others), the headphones push the arms of your glasses against your head, and that could make it uncomfortable. Or with on-ear headphones, they could be pushing your ears against the arms, sort of sandwiching the arms between your head and ear.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #7,273 of 7,699
I'm gonna order them!!! i kinda wish they looked a bit more fancy cus i don't want a lady with beats or bose looking at me like "omg what a scrub, wearing cheap ear buds" cus the i80s don't really look too flashy, but i guess thats a good thing and us audiophiles shouldn't care anyyways - i mostly plan to use these for desktop setup with my o2odac anyways so hopefully it will be ok.

like i don't wanna be like this

but have people think i'm this

top ones are ie80s and bottom ones are cheap black earbuds...SEE MOST PEOPLE CAN'T EVEN TELL TEH DIFFERENCE :frowning2: oh well it doesn't matter what others think and prolly best to avoid a girl who likes beats and bose anyways right 

im prolly gonna put the bass port at minimum cus i like bass but not super pounding, just want a nice warm smooth sound like my 650hD :D

also i like that the ie80s are known for good soundstage as i am a gamer :D so thats awesome, comfortable IEMS that sound as good as flagship headphones :D 

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #7,274 of 7,699
i am treble sensitive, how are the highs on the ie80? are they fatiguing at all? or are they pulled back a bit like the HD650s? 

They are very smooth, not fatiguing at all. I even find them lacking some sparkle degree and energy and this is one of the reasons for upgrading to something with more extended treble.
The others are the mid-bass hump and the recessed mids. Recessed and veiled and that's really a drawback.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #7,275 of 7,699
They are very smooth, not fatiguing at all. I even find them lacking some sparkle degree and energy and this is one of the reasons for upgrading to something with more extended treble.
The others are the mid-bass hump and the recessed mids. Recessed and veiled and that's really a drawback.

right on, that actually sounds like exactly what i like and want lol  i prefer a veiled and darker sound :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back