Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 21, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #7,216 of 7,699
My IE80 cable just died after 3 years of service. Can anyone recommend an affordable (under $50) custom cable that ships to the Netherlands? While I'm at it, I also want to upgrade the tips. I've heard many good stories about the Auvio tips offered by Radioshack (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-rbasic-silicone-replace-tips-s-m-l?variant=7188729477) but they don't ship outside the US. Any comparable alternatives?

May 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #7,217 of 7,699
  My IE80 cable just died after 3 years of service. Can anyone recommend an affordable (under $50) custom cable that ships to the Netherlands? While I'm at it, I also want to upgrade the tips. I've heard many good stories about the Auvio tips offered by Radioshack (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-rbasic-silicone-replace-tips-s-m-l?variant=7188729477) but they don't ship outside the US. Any comparable alternatives?

I use comply foam tips. One thing they do better than stocks it to keep the seal. With stock tips I have to readjust them in the ears once in a while, otherwise I lose bass. SQ might also be a tad better, not sure of this.

May 21, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #7,218 of 7,699

I use comply foam tips. One thing they do better than stocks it to keep the seal. With stock tips I have to readjust them in the ears once in a while, otherwise I lose bass. SQ might also be a tad better, not sure of this.

Thanks your response! I've actually tried those kind of foam tips that came with my IE80 and I didn't like the feel of the material in my ear. I don't know to what extent those Comply foam tips are diferent but I don't think they will be comfortable to me.

May 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #7,220 of 7,699

Thanks your response! I've actually tried those kind of foam tips that came with my IE80 and I didn't like the feel of the material in my ear. I don't know to what extent those Comply foam tips are diferent but I don't think they will be comfortable to me.

the stuff provided with the IE80 is more rubber than foam when it comes to how it feels. I didn't like it(and it wasn't long enough for my ear) but I use comply all the time. still, getting the proper size/length can lead to have to buy several sizes and genres to try, and comply isn't exactly cheap given how long they last.

May 21, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #7,221 of 7,699
  I don't have any cable recommendations for you, but for tips, I really like JVC Spiral Dots.

Thanks for the suggestion! Those are exactly what I had in mind.

One concern though, does the diameter/bore of the eartip's nozzle match the IE80? A few years ago, I had a pair Sony Hybrid tips which had a great seal but had a very tight nozzle which blocked out some of the sound coming out of the IE80.

May 21, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7,222 of 7,699

the stuff provided with the IE80 is more rubber than foam when it comes to how it feels. I didn't like it(and it wasn't long enough for my ear) but I use comply all the time. still, getting the proper size/length can lead to have to buy several sizes and genres to try, and comply isn't exactly cheap given how long they last.

I won't look further into the Comply tips then. Pricing is indeed quite high and I prefer a pair of tips that don't need to be replaced every now and then. 

May 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #7,223 of 7,699
  Thanks for the suggestion! Those are exactly what I had in mind.

One concern though, does the diameter/bore of the eartip's nozzle match the IE80? A few years ago, I had a pair Sony Hybrid tips which had a great seal but had a very tight nozzle which blocked out some of the sound coming out of the IE80.

Yes, the Spiral Dots have a wide bore and fit the IE80s nicely.

Here is a photo:

May 21, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,225 of 7,699
@sjondenon
I would just take a replacement cable from Sennheiser. I've ordered a Earmax 'silver' cable but it's not my thing. Sounds a bit brighter but I like the feeling of the stock cable.
For foams I would go for the stock Sennheisers but you do not like them. Comply foams do not have a smooth coating like the Sennheiser foams so they get dirty after days/weeks of use. The Sennheiser foams I can use for months, hell I even think I'm still on my first pair.
Otherwise you could try the INAIRS AIR foams, the IE80 need the Air 2 if I'm correct. They are available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIR2-Earphone-Latest-Generation-Earpads/dp/B00THKPQGM/

May 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #7,227 of 7,699
  @sjondenon
I would just take a replacement cable from Sennheiser. I've ordered a Earmax 'silver' cable but it's not my thing. Sounds a bit brighter but I like the feeling of the stock cable.
For foams I would go for the stock Sennheisers but you do not like them. Comply foams do not have a smooth coating like the Sennheiser foams so they get dirty after days/weeks of use. The Sennheiser foams I can use for months, hell I even think I'm still on my first pair.
Otherwise you could try the INAIRS AIR foams, the IE80 need the Air 2 if I'm correct. They are available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIR2-Earphone-Latest-Generation-Earpads/dp/B00THKPQGM/

I'm actually temped to try something new. There is nothing wrong with the stock cable (except the angled connector which I don't like) but I just want to see if a new cable brightens up the sound like many people claim. 

So you have this cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earmax-Upgrade-Silver-Audio-Cable-For-Sennheiser-IE80-IE8-IE8I-earphones-headset-/291768955812?hash=item43eec8f3a4:g:i98AAOSwGvhT7DHq) I assume?

I don't think that those foam tips are my thing. I went with the JVC Sipral Dots. 

May 22, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #7,228 of 7,699
@sjondenon
Yes that's the one. Only $9 wow. When I bought it it was $15/20.
I kept it as backup.

Spiral Dots are good. I switch between spiral dots (winter) and foam (summer).

May 23, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #7,229 of 7,699
I used to have channel imbalance issues with the IE80, and I remember wondering whether it was just placebo, bad fit, or one of my ear being more deaf than the other at some point.

Well it turns out that it's the actual pin/connector system of the IE80 that is giving me a hard time. The (possibly) loose pin or socket would cause the sound on one channel to decrease progressively (30-40%) until I detach the earpiece and snap it back into place. It happens occasionally with both L and R channels, but often enough to bother me.

I'm not the only one experiencing that problem apparently. That's really messed up I have to say!

May 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #7,230 of 7,699
I've been sort of enjoying these for two weeks now. I feel like I need to heavily EQ to get that promising thumping bass. Burning them in properly I reckon will take some time though.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back