Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,186 of 7,699
Hey. I own a pair of the Wicked PUR800 which I paid $46 for back in 2011. I recently bought a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition smartphone and to my ears it has great quality audio for a phone. Trying out advanced players such as Neutron has led to me thinking perhaps it's time to upgrade my earbuds as it might be holding back the sound. I was wondering if you guys think I'll hear the upgrade if I pick up a pair of IE80s? I normally prefer a warm sound (see my main gear) but I noticed the phone seems to be too dark and bass heavy. Anything that can brighten the sound and give air would be welcome. Would the IE80s be a good choice or are there any comparable alternatives for more or less money? Note that I need something comfy because the PUR are hurting my inner ears a lot and I can't take it anymore. I know a bit about full-size 'phones but am clueless on IEMs so any help would be great. Thanks.

Go for se 535 they are not bass heavy but ie80 are little bass heavy. Sorry I messed up the quote !

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #7,187 of 7,699
Literally years of lurking around this forum I'm purchasing a pair of IE80 which I had the IE8 version of a few years back and absolutely loved, I'm finally going back and tracked down an authorized dealer B&H Photo for $249 I believe that's about how much they go for everywhere now though. I'm super stoked.

May 1, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #7,190 of 7,699
can someone confirm whether this cable is compatible with the ie80??
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4916

there are other cables listed for ie80 on that site but not this one. thus my question, thanks

May 1, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #7,191 of 7,699
@eckndu
Connectors for the ie8 and ie80 are the same, so the cable will work without any problems.

May 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #7,198 of 7,699
Maybe try to get to listen to a different source. Borrow a friends iPhone, or try a laptop?

Could it also be possible that is caused by the ear tips? I used the soft ones but they were a bit to small and the other was much to large. But when i pushed them hard into my ears it sounded much better so maybe i have to get some Medium soft ear tips?

May 1, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #7,199 of 7,699
Could it also be possible that is caused by the ear tips? I used the soft ones but they were a bit to small and the other was much to large. But when i pushed them hard into my ears it sounded much better so maybe i have to get some Medium soft ear tips?

Seal is very important with IEM's. It usually affects bass response rather than treble. AFAIK.
Tips that give a good seal are definitely worth trying to find.
I made my previous suggestion (and agree that tips may be worth exploring) because I would not describe the IE8 (old version of 80) in the terms that you have.
HTH!

May 1, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,200 of 7,699

Maybe try to get to listen to a different source. Borrow a friends iPhone, or try a laptop?

it could be all the things you've already mentioned. they're about 16ohm, so there is a little possibility that your phone doesn't do well with that impedance. it's rather rare to have real bad sound, but it did happen on a few phones, maybe try to see if there is any measurement of the output of your cellphone and maybe feedbacks about the same problem on low impedance IEMs. if you fond no mention of it, it's most likely fine.
the tips are a very strategic area in the fight for nice sound. many here would go as far as saying that none of the provided tips are any good for those IEMs. but to each his ears so it's hard to give a definitive answer. still you can look for a lot of suggestions from fellow members who have found what they consider the best tips for them.  they sure can have some very audible differences in the top end of the signature(and sometimes also in the bass if the seal isn't good).
if you really dislike what you're hearing , just send them back, but if the overall signature seems to be something you could enjoy with a little less sibilance, then yes you should have a go at the tip madness quest and try a few of the most commonly suggested models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back