Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #6,707 of 7,699
anyone tried jvc spiral dot tips for IE80?
The last few pages mention it, they're fantastic. Just get a size smaller than you're used to.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #6,708 of 7,699
  anyone tried jvc spiral dot tips for IE80?

I am using the Spirals and it does improve my IE80's sound, comfort and overall experience. (I'm not certain if it's the insertion depth or isolation or the angle of the fit, that makes it better)

But not everyone has been lucky though. I guess it depends on the person's ear canal. 

Regarding size, I used M from the stock tips and the Spiral Dots' M was right for me. Although I would like to try the ML sometime in the future.

I guess the only way to know is to buy it.

Hope this helps!

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #6,709 of 7,699

I am using the Spirals and it does improve my IE80's sound, comfort and overall experience. (I'm not certain if it's the insertion depth or isolation or the angle of the fit, that makes it better)

But not everyone has been lucky though. I guess it depends on the person's ear canal. 

Regarding size, I used M from the stock tips and the Spiral Dots' M was right for me. Although I would like to try the ML sometime in the future.

I guess the only way to know is to buy it.

Hope this helps!

Are you guys talking about these?  Been contemplating playing around with tips on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/VICTOR-EP-FX9M-B-Spiral-Earpiece-Size/dp/B00JSLXNOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442001923&sr=8-2&keywords=jvc+spiral+dot+tips

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #6,710 of 7,699
Are you guys talking about these?  Been contemplating playing around with tips on mine.
http://www.amazon.com/VICTOR-EP-FX9M-B-Spiral-Earpiece-Size/dp/B00JSLXNOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442001923&sr=8-2&keywords=jvc+spiral+dot+tips

Yes.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,711 of 7,699

waxvac-288x288.jpg
huge waste of money only good for cleaning outside earcanal the tip won't insert deep enough to amount to anything save your money IMHO!!!!

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #6,713 of 7,699
  Another vote for Spiral Dots on IE80. Before they were delivered from Japan I used some large CX300 II earbuds and they work quite well too.

Are the tips included with CX300 different from the IE80s? I own 3 Sennheiser earbuds: CX275S, MM30 and IE80. The included silicone tips for all these are the same.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,716 of 7,699
I have rebought the IE80s for two reasons.
1. M100 did not give enough isolation from plane noise. (Only on too high volume.)
2. I have already had custom tips for the IE80s..
So I bought my new IE80 £15 less for what I sold the old one. :)

And to be honest, it is a surprise how clean and more analytical sound they have compared to the M100s. I forgot how clean sounding they are. (Sold the old one a couple of months ago.) I was wondering if due to some slight improvement in the driver they do sound a bit cleaner/crispier? Or just my old one was too used? If such thing exists?
Anyway, they sound better than the M100. On M100 bass is less clear and the headphone is much darker sounding.
Obviously headphones are much more comfortable than having something in your ear, even if it is a custom made silicon tip.
And they are not miles away from each others sound quality. It is quite close actually. M100 has more (not better) bass by default. IE80s bass is adjustable, as we know. (I find turning 25% the knob is optimal for almost any music.)
So M100s are airier, but darker, sometimes bass heavier. IE80s are cleaner, more analytical, clearer, faster, tighter.

I can enjoy music on both of them. Hard to choose a winner on pure sq. Obviously they give completely different music experience. The music is "in you" or the music is "around your head":
The winner would be the IE80 sound as a headphone. But it is an IEM, so it is not really fair to compare.
I loved my HD600, but with my music bass was missed sometimes. I am wondering if the Fidelio X2 (arriving in a couple of days) will be any good for me. According to many reviews and head-fi advices they are pretty similar to the 600s, just X2 is bassier.
 I can not wait to try them on.
 I miss my HD600 open dynamic sound. But I need more and better bass. X2 seems to be the one. Will see. :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #6,717 of 7,699
  I have rebought the IE80s for two reasons.
1. M100 did not give enough isolation from plane noise. (Only on too high volume.)
2. I have already had custom tips for the IE80s..
So I bought my new IE80 £15 less for what I sold the old one. :)

And to be honest, it is a surprise how clean and more analytical sound they have compared to the M100s. I forgot how clean sounding they are. (Sold the old one a couple of months ago.) I was wondering if due to some slight improvement in the driver they do sound a bit cleaner/crispier? Or just my old one was too used? If such thing exists?
Anyway, they sound better than the M100. On M100 bass is less clear and the headphone is much darker sounding.
Obviously headphones are much more comfortable than having something in your ear, even if it is a custom made silicon tip.
And they are not miles away from each others sound quality. It is quite close actually. M100 has more (not better) bass by default. IE80s bass is adjustable, as we know. (I find turning 25% the knob is optimal for almost any music.)
So M100s are airier, but darker, sometimes bass heavier. IE80s are cleaner, more analytical, clearer, faster, tighter.

I can enjoy music on both of them. Hard to choose a winner on pure sq. Obviously they give completely different music experience. The music is "in you" or the music is "around your head":
The winner would be the IE80 sound as a headphone. But it is an IEM, so it is not really fair to compare.
I loved my HD600, but with my music bass was missed sometimes. I am wondering if the Fidelio X2 (arriving in a couple of days) will be any good for me. According to many reviews and head-fi advices they are pretty similar to the 600s, just X2 is bassier.
 I can not wait to try them on.
 I miss my HD600 open dynamic sound. But I need more and better bass. X2 seems to be the one. Will see. :)

I classify myself as basshead. I tune the bass knot to max. of 80. But I'm satisfy with HD600's bass quantity.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #6,719 of 7,699
hhow would u guys compare these vs ie 800s? the price for ie80 is pretty good on amazon vs its regular price,
id like to invest in one, but if i get ie80 would i be wanting more to get ie 800?

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #6,720 of 7,699
hhow would u guys compare these vs ie 800s? the price for ie80 is pretty good on amazon vs its regular price,
id like to invest in one, but if i get ie80 would i be wanting more to get ie 800?

Few things to note before you even check about sound: 

-IE800 has so short cable that it's unbelievable, if you are like me 185 cm (~6 feet) you won't be able to wear cable under your shirt and change song from your pocket, it's frustrating.
-It has stiff cable and huge stuff where Y split of cable is, so if you don't wear it under shirt it will bounce and hit your clothes and since cable is stiff it will make extreme noise in your ears
-It cannot be worn with cable over the ear because Y split is too high and even if it wasn't, then cable would be too short even for gnomes, let alone humans
-Because it is worn "regular" way, with cable straight down they don't exactly stay most securely inside ears

In my opinion IE800 is complete disaster and I wouldn't trade my IE80 for them, ever, even if they were the same price, let alone 2 times more.

Sound is good tho, bit different but I'd sa better than IE80, no mid bass "veil" as much as IE80 and highs seems to be sharper, which I didn't find particularly good but they sound more clear than IE80 for sure, still, all the trouble and unacceptable physical form makes them extremely bad product in my opinion, let alone better from IE80. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back