Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5,821 of 7,699
  ... but when I attend lectures I need to put them inside the case, where they are protected from forces acting upon it. Outside of a custom case that is the safest place to store it, bar the strain it puts on the cable. Also, how would rolling them around my hand be practical? I don't think I quite grasp the concept you are suggesting...

Get yourself a third party case that that simply zips open. As for storing them, hold on the cable beneath the earpiece with your thumb and palm, and use your opposite hand to wrap the rest of the cable loosely around your hand. That way, the cable won't twist and turn as much.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5,822 of 7,699
  I actually think mine broke down due to the way one rolls them into the case Sennheiser provides with them....Still, great IEMs, not that good cable.

Maybe that was the case, I never use case with my IE80 because it will damage them more than to just wear them in pocket or around the neck. As I said my cable is still fine after 14 months of torture.
And when I said any cables of any headphone is just fine I meant about sound quality, because at this lenght it's pretty much only resistance that can affect sound and all stock cables are good to go, since I read many people fantasizing about some extended lows and clearer highs and wider soundstage if they spend 500$ for aftermarket cables, so till the stock break no need to waste money in that direction. 
Also there are many very expensive cables that have pretty bad durability, worse than many stock ones.
But I guess everyones experience can be different :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,823 of 7,699

... but when I attend lectures I need to put them inside the case, where they are protected from forces acting upon it. Outside of a custom case that is the safest place to store it, bar the strain it puts on the cable. Also, how would rolling them around my hand be practical? I don't think I quite grasp the concept you are suggesting...

Get yourself a third party case that that simply zips open. As for storing them, hold on the cable beneath the earpiece with your thumb and palm, and use your opposite hand to wrap the rest of the cable loosely around your hand. That way, the cable won't twist and turn as much.

+1 there are a lot of choices, and if you really need something sturdy, get yourself a pelican case or something like that. or maybe a case for glasses for a better form factor. I tried to put the IE80 back in the original case once or twice and failed ^_^.  to me it was pretty much like this

biggrin.gif
  I rolled the cable but then the cable was making a bulk and I couldn't close so I tried another way with tighter turns. a challenge.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #5,825 of 7,699
These are very neat. http://www.proporta.co.uk/headphone-cable-tidy-pack-of-3-black
I use a Pelicase because I want to protect my custom sleeves. Otherwise UE do a neat case iirc. No amp for me BTW. Had a couple of nice ones. No difference. Certainly not enough to justify the inconvenience. If you want to improve the sound of the 8's a little EQ around 100Hz is the way forward.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #5,826 of 7,699
These are very neat. http://www.proporta.co.uk/headphone-cable-tidy-pack-of-3-black
I use a Pelicase because I want to protect my custom sleeves. Otherwise UE do a neat case iirc. No amp for me BTW. Had a couple of nice ones. No difference. Certainly not enough to justify the inconvenience. If you want to improve the sound of the 8's a little EQ around 100Hz is the way forward.

A cheap piece of velcro would accomplish the same thing. I never used them though, even when they come with the headphones I purchase. Rolling them up and tossing them in a case is good enough for me.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,827 of 7,699
Forgot to mention. 4yrs + on the original cable.
Sure a bit of Velcro but those little gadgets are very neat and don't exactly break the bank:)

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,828 of 7,699
The sound I get when they are in my ears isn't that great... it resembles a bad seal. I then push both earplugs into my ears gently and it sounds terrific. I'm not sure what the best types of tips to try? Anyone else get this issue?

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #5,829 of 7,699
  The sound I get when they are in my ears isn't that great... it resembles a bad seal. I then push both earplugs into my ears gently and it sounds terrific. I'm not sure what the best types of tips to try? Anyone else get this issue?

Many. Unfortunately for most people it is not easy to find a good seal with factory tips. However it is essential to get a perfect seal, if you want to enjoy them. If you read back in the forum, there are dozens of suggestions for different alternative tips. Comply foam is quite popular, but not everyone likes them. For the same reason many of us ended up with having custom tips made...

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5,830 of 7,699
Dec 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5,832 of 7,699
**moving this post here (sorry, made a new thread)**

Just got new IEMs, went with IE80s now that my RE-400's are failing.

I knew it was going to be a big change, and took the jump anyway -- I'm not sure how I feel about them at first blush.

Bass is obviously 100x better (lowest setting), and the soundstage is noticing you larger. However, I feel like they're not nearly as balanced as my 400s, probably the recessed mids I've read about. My 400's by comparison sound much fuller, with smooth/balanced vocals/mids, the IE80s almost sound like there's "gaps" when I switch, though there might be more high end detail in spots.

Speaking of the highs, the IE80s are much harsher than I thought based on reviews. They are also much more sibilant than my 400s.

Not sure if I'm going to keep them. These are just my first impressions, so maybe different tips, break-in or shock wearing off will help.

Any thoughts from IE80 owners or someone who has made a similar switch?

**update** playing with different tips has helped a bit. The stock tips basically bring out the lows and highs too much so I get that feeling of harshness and recessed mids. The smaller single flang tips balance them out a bit more (lack of a seal maybe?). Still not sold on these...maybe I just prefer forward/natural emphasis on vocals/mids coming from the 400s, and thinking of getting the RE-600's instead. Would love thoughts from Ie80 owners though.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5,833 of 7,699

I knew it was going to be a big change, and took the jump anyway -- I'm not sure how I feel about them at first blush.

Bass is obviously 100x better (lowest setting), and the soundstage is noticing you larger. However, I feel like they're not nearly as balanced as my 400s, probably the recessed mids I've read about. My 400's by comparison sound much fuller, with smooth/balanced vocals/mids, the IE80s almost sound like there's "gaps" when I switch, though there might be more high end detail in spots.

Speaking of the highs, the IE80s are much harsher than I thought based on reviews. They are also much more sibilant than my 400s.

Not sure if I'm going to keep them. These are just my first impressions, so maybe different tips, break-in or shock wearing off will help.

**update** playing with different tips has helped a bit. The stock tips basically bring out the lows and highs too much so I get that feeling of harshness and recessed mids. The smaller single flang tips balance them out a bit more (lack of a seal maybe?). Still not sold on these...maybe I just prefer forward/natural emphasis on vocals/mids coming from the 400s, and thinking of getting the RE-600's instead. Would love thoughts from Ie80 owners though.

I have to agree with you that the IE80 is somewhat sibilant, surprising since its treble doesn't have that much energy at all, yet I'm hearing sibilance in songs that have never been sibilant before. It really stands out cause the overall signature of the IE80 is relatively smooth, so that sudden peak is very annoying and noticeable. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,834 of 7,699

Finding the perfect tip and the perfect isolation is the weak point of the IE80. I also suggest to give 50-100 hours of burn in time to them. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,835 of 7,699
I have to agree with you that the IE80 is somewhat sibilant, surprising since its treble doesn't have that much energy at all, yet I'm hearing sibilance in songs that have never been sibilant before. It really stands out cause the overall signature of the IE80 is relatively smooth, so that sudden peak is very annoying and noticeable. 

Have you played around with different tips? I've found the smaller tips that don't deal as much (Im guessing that's why) lessen the harshness of the highs and let the mid-range come out a bit more. They're getting better, but compared to the RE-400's they just aren't as smooth. Still tweaking...

Bestula -- any guidance regarding finding the right tips? I feel like the small single flanged tips sound the best (see above), but they clearly don't seal with a suction and I feel like it's weird that they sound the best without a tight seal. Maybe that's how the IE80's are designed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back