Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #5,807 of 7,699
Not that I know.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #5,808 of 7,699
Last question...I bought some used ones off ebay and there is no audio in the right year...sometimes it will just fade in and be normal then just randomly go. Can this be fixed by getting a new wire or is it a earphone issue? If that's the case i can ask the seller to buy a new cable..

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #5,809 of 7,699
  Last question...I bought some used ones off ebay and there is no audio in the right year...sometimes it will just fade in and be normal then just randomly go. Can this be fixed by getting a new wire or is it a earphone issue? If that's the case i can ask the seller to buy a new cable..

Can be either, but probably the cable. Check if the connector (2 little pins) on the earphone is undamaged. If it looks ok, than probably cable issue. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,813 of 7,699

Mine didn't after 14 months of torture, bungee jumping in gym countless times. 

Hence, they are just fine, on average. More expensive cables are more durable in nearly 100% of the time.

that sadly isn't my experience at all. there are ok cables and fragile ones at almost any price.
but of course when you just paid 500$ for a cable you might take care of it a good deal more than a cheap 40$ cable ^_^.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,815 of 7,699
  Are these considered power hungry earphones? I'm looking at an fiio x1 and wondered if I need an amp to get the most out of them?

no they're not. in fact they're the easiest to drive IEM I've had. they are super sensitive so they don't need much gain(volts). and they have a flat impedance response so they don't care about the source's impedance.
they're very fine with the X1.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,817 of 7,699
I don't know that amp so I can't tell. but let's just say that I do use an amp for some of my IEMs, because I find that the sound sux without the amp on those(crappy soundstage, or hissing, or problems with the source's output impedance changing the signature. and sometimes all at once). but I don't use the amp when I'm listening to the IE80 or some of my etymotics. because I can't really hear any real benefits.
others might disagree on this of course.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,818 of 7,699

that sadly isn't my experience at all. there are ok cables and fragile ones at almost any price.
but of course when you just paid 500$ for a cable you might take care of it a good deal more than a cheap 40$ cable ^_^.

I actually think mine broke down due to the way one rolls them into the case Sennheiser provides with them....Still, great IEMs, not that good cable.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #5,820 of 7,699
I wouldn't use that case. The safest way to store your headphones is to loosely roll them around your hand. That way, you don't exert as much strain on the cable.

... but when I attend lectures I need to put them inside the case, where they are protected from forces acting upon it. Outside of a custom case that is the safest place to store it, bar the strain it puts on the cable. Also, how would rolling them around my hand be practical? I don't think I quite grasp the concept you are suggesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back