Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #5,611 of 7,699
After 7 months my replacementcable from custom-cable.co.uk broke :frowning2:
Still very keen on my IE80's so I'm getting new cables, but pretty dissapointed they broke so quickly even though I'm always very careful with them....
It seems something broke or is lose inside the 3mm jack, when I press it under a certain way the sound is normal but when I let go the sound becomes muddy and crackling. I tested it on different players to make sure it's not my iPod's jack and it isnt.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5,612 of 7,699
Just send the cable in for repair, must have some warrenty I hope.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,614 of 7,699
Has anyone had custom sleeves made for them by the likes of ACS?
Did this help the isolation in any way, and were there any changes to SQ and soundstage?
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, not read the entire thread yet :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,615 of 7,699
Did this help the isolation in any way, and were there any changes to SQ and soundstage?
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, not read the entire thread yet
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415905/review-acs-custom-tips-sennheiser-ie8

For the previous ie8, but I imagine most of it will still be relevant. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #5,616 of 7,699
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #5,617 of 7,699
I had the ACS tips for the IE8's. A marked step forward. Comfort and isolation excellent. Sound wise IMHO they bought the other frequencies up to compete somewhat with the mid bass. In the end I could not live with such a coloured sound though. YMMV.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #5,618 of 7,699
Was reading now threads about AKG's K3003i, and decided to post here. 
I have currently IE80's in my ears with radiohead-coldplay-some-opera things playing.. What can i say?
I really like them 
beyersmile.png

Because - comparing to my other westone's 3, they are clearer!
biggrin.gif

More detailed and just better.. But not for subway rides, for that i use westone with it's amazing sound isolation.
They are more forgiving giving me the sound i want with different sources, though, i'm afraid to connect them to my audiophile gear which i use with HD650's, i use them with 1st gen iPod touch,2nd G iPod touch and iPhone 5s. 
Thank you,
If any questions -PM me)

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #5,619 of 7,699
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, not read the entire thread yet
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had custom sleeves made for my IE80 about a year ago. Because of the perfect isolation the SQ improves. I tried Comply foam tips as well, but customs are much better. Not to mention, you never have to change them again. I would say, custom sleeves improve the overall listening experience with 20%, even if you had quite a good isolation with tips before. Very nice on the go music experience, but you can use its full potential only with perfect isolation. 
 ( However after I started to use my home setup with HD600, I can not fully enjoy IE80's sound anymore. Just a weaker, temporary substitution for me ... :/  )

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,620 of 7,699
Snagged a pair of mint IE80's for $230 (verified genuine). I love em to death!
When I forst got into audiophile gear, these were the IEM's I always wanted.
Will DEFINITELY buy them again once they break. For EDM I prefer these over SE846, Westone W40 and other more expensive IEM's. The only one that I liked a little better was the K3003i, but non-removable cables are unacceptable for me at that price tag. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,621 of 7,699
  Snagged a pair of mint IE80's for $230 (verified genuine). I love em to death!
When I forst got into audiophile gear, these were the IEM's I always wanted.
Will DEFINITELY buy them again once they break. For EDM I prefer these over SE846, Westone W40 and other more expensive IEM's. The only one that I liked a little better was the K3003i, but non-removable cables are unacceptable for me at that price tag. 

Yeah, I thought they were perfect too until I tried the JVC FX850s... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  But seriously, they're great headphones and one of the best thing about them is that they're very durable.  I have two sets of IE80s and while I have replaced 2 cables, both are over a year old and both work perfectly.  One set is my go-to headphone for the gym.  I would NEVER try that with my FX850s. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #5,623 of 7,699

Some difference between IE80 and Noble 6 and the type of recording:
Weird reversal where maybe a good recording sounds bad on lower quality IEMs whereas as usually it is poor quality recording that sounds ok on lower IEMs but poor on higher quality equipment. Details:
I bought Couperin: Apothéoses & autres Sonades
Performers      
Beyer, Amandine
Gli incogniti
Orchestras / Ensembles          
Gli incogniti
Label  
Harmonia Mundi
Catalogue number       902193
Release date    2014-09-08
Discs   1
Orig. sample rate         96000Hz

24 FLAC Discount

From eclassical as I was excited by the sample tracks. I played it initially through AK100 to IE80 unamped and it sounded so disappointing as if their was lost of hiss on the strings and sort of background interference.
I then had to wait to recharge my ALO headamp and decided to play them again now to my Noble 6. Remarkable. All the original colour and excitement I had heard on the sample tracks sprang to life.
BUT
The music sounded too close with no space around it and somewhat unnatural in the amount of detail I am sure I wouldn’t hear listening live in a concert hall. The instruments were were separated but almost sounded as if they were behind me instead of in front. So I am half pleased but also disppointed. I speculate as to why? I am not an audio engineer.
I suspect each instrument or group was very closely miked leading to the amount of detail picked up almost too much but this unfortunately was mixed without any space around the music which then means one tired of listening to it for too long.
Usually a single dynamic phone presents classical music better in my opinion than several balanced armatures and in a more natural way. Am I way off the mark? Any thoughts.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,624 of 7,699
I made the opposite switch, from BA to dynamics because BA never sounded natural to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back