Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 17, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #5,462 of 7,699
I think it is hard to compare IEM´s with over ear headphones, but with the IE800 we are talking about an IEM that cost more than the double of the Momentum, , as far as the IE´80 I sure don´t want to exchange them for the momentum, also out of practical reasons. Listening at home I still prefere Senns HD650.

May 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,463 of 7,699
Got a sound problem with my new Sennheiser IE80 for my Note 3, if anyone could help me out :frowning2:

After having only used those standard samsung J5 headphones that came with my galaxy note 3 phone (unrooted), I've finally bought my first expensive IEM in hopes to spoil myself - the Sennheiser IE80, from an authorized dealer for $320. But after these first days of burn-in I must say I'm kind of torn whether they are even worth the high price.

On the first listen I immediately heard the bigger soundstage which I ofcourse like but I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of bass (even tuned to the highest and I can't hear any difference) but perhaps this can be fixed with a better seal. But then there's the worst thing that's a deal breaker for me, I've started to hear a white/static noise on every calm track, especially on orchestral music, which I'm hoping you other users can help me solve whether these are infact defected or not. I just can't listen to any of my soundtracks with this noise, so if this can't be fixed then I'm forced to return these headphones.

I'm not an audiophile so perhaps I've missed something, but here are some of my thoughts and questions:
1. All my tracks are mostly 320kbps mp3s and some flac, so it's not that the files lack quality or anything.
2. Are expensive IEMs really so clear that you can hear the white noise even more compared to cheaper IEMS? Before these headphones I never realised the noise on my cheaper ones.
3. The white noise is heard no matter what source I use: galaxy note 3 (stock/winamp/google players), my PC, my brother's PC and his iphone.
4. The bass is good if I put pressure on the earbuds to my eardrums, but without that pressure they sound too distant. (even tuned to highest and still can't hear any bass difference)
5. The isolation sucks because when cars drive by I can't hear the music on highest volume, even with finger pressure,
6. After having tried all tips, I settled with the normal sized tips that the IEMs already came installed with.
7. I'm not 100% sure yet, but the noise seems to be increased the higher the bass is tuned, although the noise is still a problem at lowest tuning.
8. Perhaps the noise is a sign of defect? Or cord related?
9. Perhaps these are even fake? I bought them from an authorized seller, but the package didn't come with a QR code so I can't really check the product's authenticity on sennheiser's website.

I can post pictures of the package and the headphones if anyone can help

May 18, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #5,464 of 7,699
Got a sound problem with my new Sennheiser IE80 for my Note 3, if anyone could help me out
frown.gif

After having only used those standard samsung J5 headphones that came with my galaxy note 3 phone (unrooted), I've finally bought my first expensive IEM in hopes to spoil myself - the Sennheiser IE80, from an authorized dealer for $320. But after these first days of burn-in I must say I'm kind of torn whether they are even worth the high price.

On the first listen I immediately heard the bigger soundstage which I ofcourse like but I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of bass (even tuned to the highest and I can't hear any difference) but perhaps this can be fixed with a better seal. But then there's the worst thing that's a deal breaker for me, I've started to hear a white/static noise on every calm track, especially on orchestral music, which I'm hoping you other users can help me solve whether these are infact defected or not. I just can't listen to any of my soundtracks with this noise, so if this can't be fixed then I'm forced to return these headphones.

I'm not an audiophile so perhaps I've missed something, but here are some of my thoughts and questions:
1. All my tracks are mostly 320kbps mp3s and some flac, so it's not that the files lack quality or anything.
2. Are expensive IEMs really so clear that you can hear the white noise even more compared to cheaper IEMS? Before these headphones I never realised the noise on my cheaper ones.
3. The white noise is heard no matter what source I use: galaxy note 3 (stock/winamp/google players), my PC, my brother's PC and his iphone.
4. The bass is good if I put pressure on the earbuds to my eardrums, but without that pressure they sound too distant. (even tuned to highest and still can't hear any bass difference)
5. The isolation sucks because when cars drive by I can't hear the music on highest volume, even with finger pressure,
6. After having tried all tips, I settled with the normal sized tips that the IEMs already came installed with.
7. I'm not 100% sure yet, but the noise seems to be increased the higher the bass is tuned, although the noise is still a problem at lowest tuning.
9. Perhaps these are even fake? I bought them from an authorized seller, but the package didn't come with a QR code so I can't really check the product's authenticity on sennheiser's website.

Do you mean sibilance by white noise?, if so try Sony hybrids or Sony noise isolation earbuds which isolates better and reduce sibilance. Sony noise isolation tips are not sold separately you would have to buy an earphone to get the tips like Sony XBA 10 or Sony MDR XB60EX which costs around $100. If you get a correct fit with good isolation the IE 80 creates some surprisingly good dynamic sound, but would suffer on airiness.

May 18, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5,465 of 7,699

If you did buy them from a dealer they won´t be fake, you can see easily yourself as the logo on the alu plate should be gravured. Give them some burn in time, otherwise you can go back to the dealer and let him listen, after all you have 2 year guarantee, for me These are the best in ears at any Price Point, but we all hear different, so always be carefull with Reviews as theý only reflects the reviewers experience which will not be necessarily the same for you.I use None of the included tips but Comply 500, than the sealing and hold are Problems from the past, but from what you describe, better go back to the dealer, if something wrong you will get a new set.

May 18, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #5,466 of 7,699
The bass and isolation issues sound like a seal problem. I always have problems with getting a seal. Comply tips can work if you get the right size. (Not necessarily the same size for both ears.) The ultimate solution is custom made sleeves or tips from Snuggs or ACS in the UK. Not sure if they ship. You need to make sure you are happy with the rest of the sound first though. Doesn't sound like sibilance. I'm afraid I do not have any suggestion except speak to your supplier. HTH.

May 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,467 of 7,699
If you did buy them from a dealer they won´t be fake, you can see easily yourself as the logo on the alu plate should be gravured.

Good fake tell, but just so everybody knows: the earpiece shiny metal plates are Stainless Steel, not Aluminum, and the Senn logo & tick marks should be cut/milled (engraved) into the SS plate with sharp edges, not stamped with rounded edges

May 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,468 of 7,699
Got a sound problem with my new Sennheiser IE80 for my Note 3, if anyone could help me out
frown.gif

Might be a bad source that has some background hiss caught by the Senns. Maybe try some better source/amp? 
the bass issue could probably be due to previous experience with bass-heavy earphones, or as stated above a fitting issue. 

May 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,469 of 7,699
My myself is having a hard time getting a good seal with the tips provided by Sennheiser. As of now i cant find a good eartips, im still looking tho. I dont like comply just because they dont last long. 

May 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5,470 of 7,699
  My myself is having a hard time getting a good seal with the tips provided by Sennheiser. As of now i cant find a good eartips, im still looking tho. I dont like comply just because they dont last long. 

One sure thing about the IE8 and IE80 that is based on years of experience - there is NOT ONE decent tip included with the damned box - I ended up using UE silicone and Sony Hybrids - I had some Comply that fit, but the treble made too much of a disappearing act with foam. 

May 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5,471 of 7,699
  One sure thing about the IE8 and IE80 that is based on years of experience - there is NOT ONE decent tip included with the damned box - I ended up using UE silicone and Sony Hybrids - I had some Comply that fit, but the treble made too much of a disappearing act with foam.

Hey man a link of where you get your eartips would really help me. Thanks

May 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #5,472 of 7,699
May 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #5,474 of 7,699
It takes a bit of a stretch - but yes, definitely. They will NOT come off in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back