Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #5,296 of 7,699
  You can always say that.
wink.gif
  I am not reading any of those CIEM threads. But I honestly can't imagine how much better IEMs can be over IE80s.
Currently on the full-size cans journey...

It gets a lot better IMO. Not just CIEMs as their are universals that are also better than even CIEMs :wink:.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #5,297 of 7,699
I'm vastly ignorant in higher tier IEMs then. Well, if I say I love the sound signature of the 80s, what would be a possible upgrade for me? 

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #5,298 of 7,699
  I'm vastly ignorant in higher tier IEMs then. Well, if I say I love the sound signature of the 80s, what would be a possible upgrade for me? 

interested in the responses to this as well, as the IE80 is pretty much the sound i've been looking for. hopefully there will be some recommendations that are just an upgrade in sound.. not in price.. as i feel like there are diminishing returns past the IE80's price point.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,301 of 7,699
If you like the IE80's definitely check out the HD650's. Although I prefer the accuracy of the HD600's and find the coloration of the IE8's too much.

Actually I just sold a pair of 650s... Liked them pretty much, but now going towards planar magnetic. I think my impression of IE80 seem to be very different from HD650s. With bass nob at middle, the IE80s seem to have just right bass for me, and the details are very clear, whereas the 650s seem to emphasize mids and lower end a bit too much, while the high is 'faded out' a little. 
Based on what I heard, I guess one might say that IE8s to IE80s are like HD650s to HD600s. But after all, full-size and in-ear are quite uncomparable to me. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,302 of 7,699
Can someone compare these to the CKS1000? Also, does it come with an iPod remote?

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,303 of 7,699
Actually I just sold a pair of 650s... Liked them pretty much, but now going towards planar magnetic. I think my impression of IE80 seem to be very different from HD650s. With bass nob at middle, the IE80s seem to have just right bass for me, and the details are very clear, whereas the 650s seem to emphasize mids and lower end a bit too much, while the high is 'faded out' a little. 
Based on what I heard, I guess one might say that IE8s to IE80s are like HD650s to HD600s. But after all, full-size and in-ear are quite uncomparable to me. 

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I felt bad after my post that I may have chipped at your love of the IE80's. If you are happy stick with them and I am genuinely pleased for you FWIW.
This is the second time that I have read here that the 80's are more accurate than the 8's. I thought that there was generally thought to be no difference in the sound between the two.
Good luck with the full size search. There's some great stuff out there. Have you heard the Denon 7000? I've never heard bass like it from a headphone.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5,304 of 7,699
  Also, does it come with an iPod remote?

I can answer this one, which is no, it does not come with ipod remote. However, I remember that the IE8i comes with a cable that has remote control for apple products.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #5,305 of 7,699
This is the second time that I have read here that the 80's are more accurate than the 8's. I thought that there was generally thought to be no difference in the sound between the two.

Interesting... When I was in Germany I briefly compared the two from a mediocre source. The impression was the IE80s are on the neutral side of the IE8, hence I bought the former. They certainly sound similar, but I guess there's still difference.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5,306 of 7,699
They certainly sound similar, but I guess there's still difference.

The 8's are quite thick and dark sounding due to a mid bass hump at 100khz. I've put up with it for several years but now intend to change 'phones.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #5,307 of 7,699
Anyone who likes the IE80's sound may appreciate the HD8's sound as well. (Sennheiser's new flagship DJ Headphone)

I've been using the IE80's since their release, actually have three pairs. The HD8's are very impressive over-ears. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,309 of 7,699
So I have a question.

I'm looking at these to replace my lost xba 2ip's.
I use an Iphone 4s so will need to get the remote cable, but my main question is, is it worth all that extra dosh.  I listen to jazz, funk, ambient electronic, ska, a complete mix, while sitting on train to work.
I found the XBA 2's very decent and were at the time the most I've spent on a pair of headphones.  I just concerned that seeing as this thread is 300+ pages long and involves people modding them with tape and trying a million different tips that I just don't want to get involved in, that they are in a way too good(or let's say, too capable) for my needs and only the absolutely most particular listeners will really think the extra cash was worth it.

Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #5,310 of 7,699
A lot of the mods that you mention are attempts to reduce the effect of the rather over emphasised upper bass which makes for quite a "dark" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back