Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #5,236 of 7,699
I have the fischer amps fa4e-xb which are a good upgrade over the ie80. They have less mid bass but with good sub bass, clearer mids which are only slightly recessed and better more extended highs. Not to mention much better fit and isolation. That being said i still have my ie80's and use them from time to time as you've mentioned they are just so much fun especially with the bass dial set to max. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5,237 of 7,699
I finally got exasperated with the thick sound of the IE'8's. I went for ACS T15's with custom tips. Didn't sound all that until I discovered the Digizoid bass enhancer. Coupled with my Headstage Arrow. Very very good. Still wonder about full customs though! The T15's and tips cost me £250. Not at all sure I want to drop £1000+ in the hope of bettering them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #5,238 of 7,699
Thank you all for your replies, Gentlemen the lot of you, and even after I was so disparaging about you audiophiles!

@ Castleofargh, now you are trying to entice me in to this audiophilia with this talk of BA and Dynamic drivers! I had never given this any consideration to the point that I have no idea what is in the IE80's or the InEar SD3's I just returned. OK, I had better get studying! I like the bass sound of the IE80's even though the bass of the SD3's was far, far more detailed. It just lacked that something, I don't know what. However, for music other than EDM, where the IE80's are just incredible, the mids and highs are just too veiled. I would go as far to say that the years of listening to conventional music on the CX300 was more acceptable than on the IE80's. It is quite possible that I am now just beginning to really listen to music since I bought these, so maybe I am being more critical.

I am intrigued by your description of your JH13. Even though I was leaning more toward the JH16 as so many have mentioned them being more bass heavy. Ultimately I believe that so long as I do not hear too many more varying signatures as comparison, I should (will, at this price!) be happy even if the bass is not similar to the IE80's.

Your point about headphones may well be a good one, if a little unnerving, given my need not to become infected with your audiophile illness. I am afraid that I would be even more out of my depth having never listened at any length to a headphone of any flavour. Indoors I have always used a full-sized system. Maybe, just maybe I will peek under the skirt of the headphone side!

@ Burtomr I did look at a few reviews regarding Tralucent Audio 1Plus2, but the reviews for the JH16's were so overwhelming as to be too convincing. Also, when I tried to get a price for these, even their own website does not publish them. That was a bit of a no, no to me. The JH16's I am able to get via a vendor here in the UK. Going direct to Hong Kong each time should there be an issue is a little disconcerting. But thank you never the less and enjoy your 1Plus2's

@ Willyvlyminck You know that I think for EDM, at least, that the IE80's are just the perfect iem, and I cannot see them being bettered. I am not even expecting the JH16's to beat them for that, but I am so used to getting more out of my speakers with my other music that the IE80's just don't seem to do this well. The SD3's I just returned, most definitely did sound great in the mids and highs though, so I know that it must exist out there somewhere. It is quite likely that I will have to be satisfied with a 'lesser' bass with another iem just to obtain more of a likeable sound in the mids and highs. In this instance it has more to do with psychology than sound. I reason that if I buy an absolute top of the range iem now, I cannot get any better, therefore I will just have to like the sound or accept that I have wasted rather a lot of money. I am sure this is a perverse strategy, but one that I am going to adopt!

@ Esuhgb Well, funny you should mention the Fa4e-bx! Just had an email from the vendor I returned the SD3's to asking how I wished for the refund to be made and I was perusing their site, saw the Fa4's and thought what the hell, and asked them to exchange the SD3's for them! Should have them by the weekend, and we shall see how right you are! Thanks

@ Krismusic I cannot say that I am anywhere near exasperated with the IE80's for EDM, but definitely would be if I had no other option for my normal music. I am not sure what 'thick' means, but for me it is the veiling that is the issue. I really only like instrumental EDM, not vocal, so it is not noticeable, but put Kate Bush on and it is really apparent. As for the ACS iem's I have to say that they were the very first option on my list when I realised that I needed a different iem for other music. I really liked the idea of the silicone housing, thinking it would be such a great fit, but when I tried to find reviews on the ACS T1 live, they seemed thin on the ground. No one seemed to be talking about them. I was going to (and still am going to get ACS custom tips for the IE80's) talk to the local ACS rep about them when I order the tips, but they seem to have taken a back step with me at the moment. If I went that route, it would have to be instead of the JH16's. No way I could justify two such top end earphone, never mind afford both! A £1000 is a huge amount, but given so many of you audiophiles buy so many different iem's, and then probably have to sell them on, at a loss, many of you have possibly lost that much in doing so. I thought I would just throw away this money in one go and be damned!!

Guys, thank you all for you input and ideas, I really do appreciate it, even if some of you try too hard to pull me over to the dark side that is you audiophile obsession!!! I have far too many other obsessions to keep me occupied. I shall resist all temptations.

JohnFY

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5,239 of 7,699
In fact one of the aspects that I don't care for on here is the encouragement of the tendency to throw money at problems. I respectfully suggest that is what you have done with ordering the JH16's. I sincerely hope that they satisfy you though. Do make sure you report back.
By "thick" I was trying to use a non audiophile term that I thought was quite descriptive. I guess I am referring to what you and others call the veil.
The T15's are ACS entry level universals.
I came across ACS when I got tips for the IE8's. Definitely worthwhile but did not reduce the veil. Maybe made everything else come up towards meeting it.
Anyway. All the very best and do let us know how you get on as a non audiophile with £1,000 IEM's!!!

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #5,240 of 7,699

@ Esuhgb Well, funny you should mention the Fa4e-bx! Just had an email from the vendor I returned the SD3's to asking how I wished for the refund to be made and I was perusing their site, saw the Fa4's and thought what the hell, and asked them to exchange the SD3's for them! Should have them by the weekend, and we shall see how right you are! Thanks

Coming from the ie80's you might find them fa4's bass light and a bit bright. Don't expect big rumbling bass of the ie80's, but for balance armatures, it does have good sub bass presence. So give your self time to get used to the sound of them. Looking forward to your impressions once you get them. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #5,243 of 7,699
Hello all,

I was wondering, from those of you that loved the IE80, but due to your audiophile affliction have moved on to other iems, which ones you chose. The IE80 is my first foray in to the world of higher quality earphones. Coupled with my newly found appreciation of EDM the IE80's are just amazing and would not part with them for this reason alone. However, to me at least, they have not satisfied me at all for more conventional music. I believe that it is the 'veil' (?) on the mids and highs that is the issue. Detail is most definitely there compared to my only other iem the Sennheiser CX300, but just too far away.

I ordered a pair of InEar SD3's which were a total revelation in the mids and highs, no veiling when compared to the IE80's, and the bass was so much more detailed, but just nowhere near as enjoyable as the bass of the IE80's. I would have kept them for my 'other' music if it were not for the painful fit of the SD3's.

I have decided to by-pass your usual audiophile route of trying so many different earphones and have opted to jump straight to the top and order the JH Audio JH16 Pro's and be done with it. My logic is that I will just have to be happy with the signature as this is the best I am likely to get. I cannot have my impressions done for another couple of weeks, and then, I have been told, may have to wait up to 8 weeks for the finished article to arrive.

So, as much as I have tried so hard to resist your audiophile sickness, I think I just might be tempted/need to try one more iem. Just to satisfy my curiosity you see.

For those of you that have moved on from the IE80, have you found any other iem's with a similar bass? I have no knowledge of how to describe the bass. I am struggling to learn, and sometimes even understand, the language you use to describe sound. All I can say is that the bass on the IE80's just puts a smile on my face all the time.

JohnFY

The jh16 or merlin would be an upgrade from my experience.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,245 of 7,699
I've been a fan of the IE8 and IE80s for years.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding any iems that can UP the IE80's subbass and rumble?

Have you ever heard of the JVC FX-700 or even the FX-500? They're the gods of sub bass, and rumble like there's no tomorrow. 

I still remain a huge fan of the IE8, perhaps less so of the IE80, but never really thought they had sub bass rumble, at least compared to some other dynamics I listened to. Admittedly the IE80 had a smidgeon more sub-bass than the IE8. The Sennheisers do have sub bass, though  the emphasis on mid-bass makes this less evident without EQ. It's interesting really because I find the treble extension and quality of the IE8/80 to be spectacular, and the bass their weakest or most troublesome area. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #5,246 of 7,699
  Have you ever heard of the JVC FX-700 or even the FX-500? They're the gods of sub bass, and rumble like there's no tomorrow. 

I still remain a huge fan of the IE8, perhaps less so of the IE80, but never really thought they had sub bass rumble, at least compared to some other dynamics I listened to. Admittedly the IE80 had a smidgeon more sub-bass than the IE8. The Sennheisers do have sub bass, though  the emphasis on mid-bass makes this less evident without EQ. It's interesting really because I find the treble extension and quality of the IE8/80 to be spectacular, and the bass their weakest or most troublesome area. 

I've used and owned the FX700 for years, straight from Japan...they were extremely sibilant no matter what tips I've used. I have probably 40 different tips that can fit on the wide bore. As for sub-bass, the FX700 was about on par with the IE8, not the IE80. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5,247 of 7,699
I've used and owned the FX700 for years, straight from Japan...they were extremely sibilant no matter what tips I've used. I have probably 40 different tips that can fit on the wide bore. As for sub-bass, the FX700 was about on par with the IE8, not the IE80. 

I see...the FX700, and its predecessor, the FX500 are indeed treble happy, as far as I'm concerned. Not too surprised you experienced sibilance, though my experience is slightly different to yours, in that I felt they produce a kind of reverberation from the low bass notes that the Sennheisers though capable, couldn't quite replicate.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #5,248 of 7,699
Just got my new pair of IE80s and after the tape mod I was very impressed.

Now I am considering getting one of these decals http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/HTC-One-Skins

To use as a tape mod. The HTC one is made of brushed aluminum so it might work just as well on our IE80s.

Now I'm not too sure if it will stick as well as tape. What is everyone thoughts on this? (Tape mod users).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back