Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5,041 of 7,699
I got on very well with the supplied silicone tips. I went for custom tips and was pleased with the result though.
Oh nice.. And you could use them with other iems too.. I've always thought about getting some custom tips made but just never got around to it lol. Plus I live about two hours out side of Toronto and that's where I'd have to go to get them done.. We have ear places in the city where I live but don't think they would be the best place to go to get them done lol..

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5,042 of 7,699
As it happens I am using my tips with another make of IEM ATM. It was luck that they happened to fit though. I suspect that the IE8/80 nozzle size is quite common but beware that other IEM's may not fit.

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,045 of 7,699
So its been a solid 11 days+ with the ie80 and I'm now fully confident that they were worth the extra cash over my Vsonic GR07 Mk2.

On the plane back from Toronto they isolation was great, you could still hear ambient plane noise but it was deadened considerably. I was blown away by how good a few songs I listened to sounded, most especially Gotye's Somebody that I used to know track. Everything is clear and the instruments, all of them, are perfectly realised. I felt the hairs on my neck stand up as the chorus came through. There is no distortion at high volume either and the bass goes lower than the Vsonic but you get that Sennheiser soundstage thrown in.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #5,046 of 7,699
I'm just curious.. The funny looking tips that came with these.. Has anyone tried these? I just tried them. The larger ones.. And I gotta say.. Unless it's just me but they seemed to give me more detail out of these things... Plus they seemed faster specially in the lower region.. Not lighting fast mind you but quicker.. Less bloated.. Like I said maybe it's just me.. It has been a long day lol anyways I'm curious is anyone has tried and liked these tips?.. Thanks

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5,047 of 7,699
I'm just curious.. The funny looking tips that came with these.. Has anyone tried these? I just tried them. The larger ones.. And I gotta say.. Unless it's just me but they seemed to give me more detail out of these things... Plus they seemed faster specially in the lower region.. Not lighting fast mind you but quicker.. Less bloated.. Like I said maybe it's just me.. It has been a long day lol anyways I'm curious is anyone has tried and liked these tips?.. Thanks

I was wondering about those tips, they're really weird shaped but I need to spend more time with them lol.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5,048 of 7,699
I was wondering about those tips, they're really weird shaped but I need to spend more time with them lol.
Lol the small ones seemed too small and they sounded too thin... But the larger ones didn't sound to bad at all really.. Like the other ones thry don't isolate really good.. I'm kinda liking them actually :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #5,049 of 7,699
How do custom tips affec the IE80s soncis?

I gather that the 80's sound the same as the 8's so I assume the effect would be similar. I think what happens using the custom sleeves is that the other frequencies come up in prominence some way towards meeting the mid bass hump. Detail throughout is improved. Be warned though that the 8's remain a very dark heavy sounding 'phone IMHO. If you do not like that basic character I would put your money towards a new IEM.

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #5,050 of 7,699
Listen to Anthony Hamilton's 'Mad' song and take note of the bass and vocals and instruments all round. A difficult song for most earphones to pull off without some mashing of the background and bass but these things rip through it like it's nothing. Really nice song that otherwise would really be only fully enjoyed on big cans or speakers!

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5,051 of 7,699
Guys as i said before i am looking for silicone tips for my sennheiser ie80 for great fit, comfort and isolation and without muffling the sound. I live in Denmark and i cannot get the auvio because Radioshack and the sellers in the US dont send to europe. Right now i am using the medium silucone and like them better than the standard hybrids but they keep falling off weird because i get the best fit with them compared to the other sizes and types

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #5,052 of 7,699
Guys as i said before i am looking for silicone tips for my sennheiser ie80 for great fit, comfort and isolation and without muffling the sound. I live in Denmark and i cannot get the auvio because Radioshack and the sellers in the US dont send to europe. Right now i am using the medium silucone and like them better than the standard hybrids but they keep falling off weird because i get the best fit with them compared to the other sizes and types

I don't think anyone can tell you what is going to suit your ears. Fit is the bugbear of IEMs that's why I went custom and even that can be problematic.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #5,055 of 7,699

....1) My right ear thing feels like there isn't really a tight seal, like there is air that is able to pass through which makes me question if the fits right with my ear and IEM. 2) The bass sometimes can feel really full in terms of quantity but there just isn't impact, like in the song you can hear there is plenty of bass in the background of the song but just none of it gives any impact or there isn't any real kick behind it, very much more heard than felt....

Sounds like a seal problem to me. Without a good seal you will not get bass. You could try Comply tips.

You could should try 'The Sensaphonics Seal Test' to evaluated your fit/seal here:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Also, hate to bring it up ad nausaum, but are you sure your 80's are real and not 'Chinese' (fake)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back