Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,711 of 7,699
I'm still adjusting to ie80's sound sig but I honestly don't think mids are recessed single bit (bass dial at min). Mids are postioned very similiar to W4s, neither recessed nor forward. I actually think that ie80 mids may be more forward than W4s when listening to vocal jazz. I will do full comparison soon.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,712 of 7,699
Quote:
I own the HD580s which, apart from cosmetics, are virtually identical to the HD600s. After getting the ie80s I hardly use them any more

Interesting. I plan on mostly listening at home. However, I do live part time of the year at a University, as well as I do a lot of bike riding. So there is some appeal to being able to take these with me on the go. 

I guess I'm just worried that I won't get the full sound that I get from an over the ear can. Maybe I shouldn't be viewing this as replacing over the ear, just as another thing to compliment. My HD-600 still work. So I could always just default back to those or the LCD-2s. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4,714 of 7,699
Quote:
I have a Hd650 as well it has a better sound stage, more detailed and still I prefer my ie80....

The 580s/600s/650s are open cans and will give a more open sound that closed cans and iems can't replicate but the IE 80s really give this a go! With dense orchestral passages the 80s can't get close to what the others do. Those open cans also give a better sense of depth for this genre. But for virtually everything else the IE 80s compete very well and in many modern genres just blow the 580s et al away. I love using my IE 80s with chamber music where I can place each musician in an exact spot. I can also hear the timbre of their instrument so wonderfully.

The most amazing thing the IE80s have done for me is rekindle my interest in the latest music. I am currently listening to the Billboard Top 100 on Spotify and already have some new favourite musos including Will.i am, Macklemore, Deadmau5, Armin van Buren, Lorde, and I'm almost at pensionable age. The IE80s have just made this music so accessible to me, something my HD580s couldn't do.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4,716 of 7,699
The 580s/600s/650s are open cans and will give a more open sound that closed cans and iems can't replicate but the IE 80s really give this a go! With dense orchestral passages the 80s can't get close to what the others do. Those open cans also give a better sense of depth for this genre. But for virtually everything else the IE 80s compete very well and in many modern genres just blow the 580s et al away. I love using my IE 80s with chamber music where I can place each musician in an exact spot. I can also hear the timbre of their instrument so wonderfully.

The most amazing thing the IE80s have done for me is rekindle my interest in the latest music. I am currently listening to the Billboard Top 100 on Spotify and already have some new favourite musos including Will.i am, Macklemore, Deadmau5, Armin van Buren, Lorde, and I'm almost at pensionable age. The IE80s have just made this music so accessible to me, something my HD580s couldn't do.
this maybe a stupid question ok..but what is chamber music??. Can you give me some artist names so I can download and have a listen..really I have no clue what chamber music is lol thank you.. Cheers!! :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #4,717 of 7,699
...really I have no clue what chamber music is
smily_headphones1.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamber_music

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,719 of 7,699
That is one of the greatest thing in that hifi hobby for me.
The songs are just sounds so great even if I listen something what is out of my taste.
Good just surfing on the YouTube and discover new fields :)
Later you can find them in good quality and dive in the details.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #4,720 of 7,699
Quote:

Damn, well you have me sold. Going to give these a whirl. Don't worry, I'm not putting all my stock in just what others say. I know at the end of the day, you just have to try stuff out for yourself. I'll be ordering my IE80s tonight, hope it goes well for my first IEMs. That said, I have a 30 day return window from Amazon. So I can't really go wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back