Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #212 of 7,699
They have the IE8 housing, but they sound like an IE8 with the majority of the problems i had removed(base hump reduced), I am still shocked at how much more clear this set is, the old set was worse than my DDMs, but the new set blows the DDMs away without having to be EQed.

I think I might be going crazy, but I noticed the difference before I knew that there would be IE80s. I'm definitely getting the IE80s when they come out for comparison.

I wounder if you got a a demo pair.That happened to me when I got a version 2 Sansa e280 which has the same soundcard as the fuze (which is quite better than the version 1). This was also from warranty use such as yourself. Shortly after they discontinued the e280 V2 and made the Fuze.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #213 of 7,699
From the looks of the housing design, I am guessing that the isolation of the IE80 will be the same as the IE8.  It would have been great if they improved upon this =(

After moving to Seattle, the IE8's are not doing so well on the buses and walks on noisy streets.  I'm actually considering going back to the Westone3...

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #214 of 7,699

Quote:
From the looks of the housing design, I am guessing that the isolation of the IE80 will be the same as the IE8.  It would have been great if they improved upon this =(

After moving to Seattle, the IE8's are not doing so well on the buses and walks on noisy streets.  I'm actually considering going back to the Westone3...

They say they might have even decreased it (according to site and Sennheiser rep) but I'm not sure as the site says 2 different things

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #218 of 7,699
I'm wondering if I'll get the IE80s if I send my IE8's in. Now I'm kind of upset since this is my second pair that has done this to me. One side is a little quieter than the other, I've switched around the cable and all that and confirmed it's the right driver with the issue. I did the whole warranty thing once. I'm a little frustrated with this. Last time I'll admit I didn't clean my ears enough but this time I've cleaned my ears %95 of the time, every morning then again when I get home from school if I'm going to listen or before any weekend listening sessions. I've almost never seen wax or anything on the screen and if I did it was promptly cleaned. Has moisture messed them up again? I thought my right ear was crap the whole time owning these because this happened on the last pair different side from, apparently this time I've had it since the get go. I'm disappointed that this happened a second time. I thought it was just my ear since the unbalancedness has been since day one or after I burned them in for around 200hrs. I'm looking at the Westone 4's as well because I'm just looking for a new sound as well but I really like my IE8s for many things so I obviously want to keep them. They do lots of things incredibly well, I just want to swap out once and a while. I just can't get over that mine are unbalanced, I babied the crap out of them! Should I just send em in again and see what happens? 

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #219 of 7,699

Doesn't hurt to try. I had that issue with imbalance with my last pair. But I think it could have been due to ripping the driver apart when taking off a stupid comply tip (I'm never using those again).
Quote:
I'm wondering if I'll get the IE80s if I send my IE8's in. Now I'm kind of upset since this is my second pair that has done this to me. One side is a little quieter than the other, I've switched around the cable and all that and confirmed it's the right driver with the issue. I did the whole warranty thing once. I'm a little frustrated with this. Last time I'll admit I didn't clean my ears enough but this time I've cleaned my ears %95 of the time, every morning then again when I get home from school if I'm going to listen or before any weekend listening sessions. I've almost never seen wax or anything on the screen and if I did it was promptly cleaned. Has moisture messed them up again? I thought my right ear was crap the whole time owning these because this happened on the last pair different side from, apparently this time I've had it since the get go. I'm disappointed that this happened a second time. I thought it was just my ear since the unbalancedness has been since day one or after I burned them in for around 200hrs. I'm looking at the Westone 4's as well because I'm just looking for a new sound as well but I really like my IE8s for many things so I obviously want to keep them. They do lots of things incredibly well, I just want to swap out once and a while. I just can't get over that mine are unbalanced, I babied the crap out of them! Should I just send em in again and see what happens? 

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #220 of 7,699

Quote:

Lol yea, you will definitely not appreciate any music when walking downtown with the ie8's.  You'll enjoy the guy banging on the empty buckets on 4th and pike though =)

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #221 of 7,699

Quote:
Doesn't hurt to try. I had that issue with imbalance with my last pair. But I think it could have been due to ripping the driver apart when taking off a stupid comply tip (I'm never using those again).

Just seems like more than enough people have this problem just reading around. I'm not focused on it right now because I'm trying to finish projects at 3:30AM but if I start actually listening it bugs me every time. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #222 of 7,699

Quote:
Just seems like more than enough people have this problem just reading around. I'm not focused on it right now because I'm trying to finish projects at 3:30AM but if I start actually listening it bugs me every time. 

Then send them in :). Do you have a backup pair? I use to have the IE7s and they did nicely as a back up pair when my IE8s were sent off. I could honestly live with the IE7s if I had to. My FX700s are my back up pair or sister-in-crime now.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #223 of 7,699
I do not have a backup pair, I fiddled with Blackberry in ears and iPhone Apple buds last time. I almost committed sound suicide. I pondered around more last night and started looking into the 1964 Quads as well so I might get those in November and then send in the IE8's after. I suspect I won't even care about IE8s after but thats ok. I still like them, nothing will change the fact that they sound good. As of now though I have no worthy spares at all O.o

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #224 of 7,699

Quote:
I do not have a backup pair, I fiddled with Blackberry in ears and iPhone Apple buds last time. I almost committed sound suicide. I pondered around more last night and started looking into the 1964 Quads as well so I might get those in November and then send in the IE8's after. I suspect I won't even care about IE8s after but thats ok. I still like them, nothing will change the fact that they sound good. As of now though I have no worthy spares at all O.o

When I get a custom I plan to get the SA-43s.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #225 of 7,699
My Ie8is had the faint right speaker problem a lot of you are describibg. I sent them in, they just sent me a new in box pair of ie8is. I am conflicted about what to do with them. I don't need the iphone control, I don't even have an iphone, they were cheaper than the regular ie8s when I purchased them. I would like the ie 80s instead only if they don't reduce isolation, as some of the posts here have hinted at. I am considering selling my new ie8I, and then purchasing the ie80s, however I don't know how much the ie80s will cost. Also one thing to consider is if my ie8is break again, I might be able to request the ie80s when I ship them back.

So I guess my main questions are:
Do the ie80s have worse isolation than the ie8s?
Does anyone know how much they will cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back