Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #436 of 7,998
Quote:
I have the K3003 and listen to my brother's EX1000 these days.

I'll specify from the start that I'm very sensitive to high frequencies. I think the AKGs are on another level in terms of detail and they also isolate better, but are more fatiguing. However, the Sonys have a bit more bass, not sure if the level of detail in the lows is better, but they have a bit more bass quantity, and I definitely like that (I'm not a bass head, I have the IE80s and I don't listen to them). They also have a bigger soundstage.

Going from the AKGs to the Sonys is a relaxing experience to these ears. If some find them too bright I suppose it's because of listening to high levels. I personally listen to low levels, I have very sensitive ears, and there's no harshness on EX1000 when listening at reasonable levels. They are very serious IEMs. On the other hand I rarely listen to K3003 without eq-ing the 5.5kHz peak.

Well said, that's how I heard them.

Of course, one man's treble emphasis is another man's treble icicle right in the eardrum.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #437 of 7,998
Quote:
Well said, that's how I heard them.

Of course, one man's treble emphasis is another man's treble icicle right in the eardrum.

Well it can also come down to compatibility issues regarding our ear canals and the headphones frequency response (accentuating what is there). That could explain why it didn't really matter what tips I used, in the end I still had the same issues. Not sure how the MDR manages to pull it off without being offensive but she goes to the brink and pulls back just before going over the tops to my ears.

But really excited to see if Sennheiser can set a new standard as they initially did with the IE8s release. But this time the stakes are much higher :).

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #438 of 7,998
Quote:

But really excited to see if Sennheiser can set a new standard as they initially did with the IE8s release. But this time the stakes are much higher :).

Me too. I know the heads of some companies are interested to see if Sennheiser can live up to their claims as well.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #439 of 7,998
Quote:
Well it can also come down to compatibility issues regarding our ear canals and the headphones frequency response (accentuating what is there). That could explain why it didn't really matter what tips I used, in the end I still had the same issues. Not sure how the MDR manages to pull it off without being offensive but she goes to the brink and pulls back just before going over the tops to my ears.

That means if there's a particularity of your ear canals EX1000 has a chance of not being garbage 
ksc75smile.gif

They sure are the ones to beat by IE800, but, of course, one can hope they will enter the high-end BA territory in terms of detail... 

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #446 of 7,998
That mean some peapole have already
Hope someone will do some reviews.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #448 of 7,998
"FIRST BATCH SOLD OUT, PLEASE PRE-ORDER FOR NEXT BATCH."

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #450 of 7,998
Thanks to a tweet from Custom Cable yesterday I managed to get a set of IE800's that have only just arrived by Royal Mail.

The box is very understated,  no marketing blurb or even specifications on the box just "Sennheiser IE800, Outstanding In-Ear Sound System" and an authenticity hologram on the side.

From the all the rendered press photos everyone has posted I did think it was going to be a lot bigger but the cable, connectors and the ear buds themselves are just tiny. The buds are so small it is very hard to read the left/right markings luckily the left bud has a raised bump.  The buds themselves are like little jewels they remind me of the Panasonic HJE900's that were made of Zirconium the IE800's are just a lot smaller.

You get five sets of silicon ear tips S,M,ML,L if these don't fit you are out of luck as Sennheiser is using a new system were you actually have to click the tips onto the ear buds.  Luckily the large tips give me a good seal and as they are so tiny and light they have completely disappeared into my ears.

They seem to be designed only to be worn with the cables down as the cable from the split is too short.  For people with smaller heads it may be okay but for me the connector block was hitting my neck.

As for first impressions at least to my ears the box is correct,  "Outstanding"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back