Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #181 of 7,998
Quote:
I can't comment on the FX700 but it is all in the implementation. There is no inherent reason why this plug would degrade sound while the pin and socket system on IEMs with replaceable cables would not.

Exactly but that is not the case with the FX700 and it's its downfall. For what it's worth I'm not one to be looking for such issues but it just showed up. At first I thought the extension cable was a cleaver idea to accommodate small and normal sized individuals; boy was I wrong. As far as I know the cables could even be adding some impedance which is offsetting things. Whatever it is though I don't like it and it's quite noticeable to me doing comparisons.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #182 of 7,998
Quote:
The 800's seem very tempting. I was torn between going custom iem's (Merlin's) or going with HD700's. I wanted something high end that didn't require extra equipment to drive. Both have me scared at the moment with UM's quality control issues and the lackluster reviews on the HD700.

The Merlin sounds fine without an amp, but a portable amp does make it sound much better IMO. My Merlin fit my ears perfect, so their QC is good enough for me.

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #183 of 7,998
Quote:

I believe that you will have this option with the IE 800 too - at least eventually. The cable is in two parts with the connection where the Y-splitter  is normally found on other IEMs. It seems reasonable to assume that there is a reason for this.

Interesting, I wonder why they are going this direction Vs. a complete removable cable?

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #184 of 7,998
Quote:

The Merlin sounds fine without an amp, but a portable amp does make it sound much better IMO. My Merlin fit my ears perfect, so their QC is good enough for me.

I think I would love the Merlin's sound profile. The QC that made me nervous was delays, wrong colors, non working drivers etc. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if you didn't have to ship them to China to get the problem resolved. Before I ordered my IE8i cable I emailed the USA UM distributor about purchasing a $250 (non-UM brand) cable with iphone controls for my IE80's that they had on there website, it took about a week and a half for a response. That being said, I am still tempted, and if peoples orders/reviews start coming in like they were when I first started reading about them I might jump on board. Glad your enjoying yours.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #185 of 7,998
Quote:
I believe that you will have this option with the IE 800 too - at least eventually. The cable is in two parts with the connection where the Y-splitter  is normally found on other IEMs. It seems reasonable to assume that there is a reason for this.

Excellent news for me, thanks. I bought an optional short cable for the IE8 back then, for use with my wireless headset/receiver. Glad to see a modular cable on the IE800.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #186 of 7,998
Quote:

We can only speculate at this point, but if they come out first in Europe (like the IE8 and IE80), I'll most likely get my hands on an early pair to see how they stack up against other top-tiers. A lot has been happening since the arrival of the IE8 and the high-end IEM market is much more competitive nowadays.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Since I lost my IE8's and iPod, I have gone music-less outside the home for some time now. After your audtions, I might just bite on the IE800.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #191 of 7,998
Quote:
i wrote first impressions from fellow member of german hifi forum in the other thread.

Great, I was waiting for this. can you please give the link

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #194 of 7,998
^ He probably meant this. Dunno, so far the few impressions I've read didn't seem to come from very experienced IEM listeners. (Feel free to ask if you need further help with Google's iffy translation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back