Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #152 of 7,998
At this price range I'd hope they'd give you a 4+ year warranty lol. The cable is a bad design decision on Sennheisers part and will definitely have an effect on their overall profit margin for this IEM. They really should reconsider making the cable detachable as I would not pay full price for such a flaw.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #153 of 7,998
Quote:

Right. Because there's absolutely no warranty procedure in place, and Sennheiser will tell you to piss off if their product fails.

Even if they did not, warranties are a huge hassle.  While I like the fact that Monster has a lifetime warranty I would rather they included a 2 year warranty and included replaceable cables.  At this point I refuse to buy any remotely expensive IEM without replaceable cables.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #154 of 7,998
Quote:

Even if they did not, warranties are a huge hassle.  While I like the fact that Monster has a lifetime warranty I would rather they included a 2 year warranty and included replaceable cables.  At this point I refuse to buy any remotely expensive IEM without replaceable cables.

Well, in that case I guess you can pass on the FX700, GR07, EPH-100, RE272/262, any Final Audio iem, the K3003, any audio technica iem....need I continue?

Warranties work like this: you call/email customer support and describe your issue. You send it in, the send you a new one. It's been like that for every company I've dealt with.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #155 of 7,998
Quote:

Well, in that case I guess you can pass on the FX700, GR07, EPH-100, RE272/262, any Final Audio iem, the K3003, any audio technica iem....need I continue?

Warranties work like this: you call/email customer support and describe your issue. You send it in, the send you a new one. It's been like that for every company I've dealt with.

And I have passed on each of those.  I had an FX500 - died a few months after the warranty was up.  Yep, connection between the chord and earpiece went.  No way to fix it.  Isn't even sold in my country.  So my favorite headphones of the time went into the garbage. 

Otherwise, yes, you have to call and wait, go to the post office, send it, etc.  I don't know about your schedule but that is all quite a hassle for me and I can think of a large number of things I'd rather do.  So I would rather just order a new cable.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #157 of 7,998
I think the disappointment comes from : you can't get  the supposed best iem , AND  detachable  cable.
Also one of the reasons people were paying the much more expensive IE8  over the IE7  was detachable cable.
There's a sudden change of logic on sennheiser line,  which disturbs:  suddenly high end doesn't mean anymore detachable cable..
The snobbish buyers , have lost their point of reference; they don't know anymore for what they are spending huge amount of cash, and if it still makes any sense.
biggrin.gif

Just buy what you enjoy the most, stop looking for the supposed best, I  think sennheiser is on a slippery slope with its last new products.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #158 of 7,998
If you look at the type of cable - thick with an inherent stiffness - detachability would be a negative. People here seem to be used to thin IEM cables which are suitable for the industry-standard tiny pin and socket attachments. When you add an extremely thick aftermarket cable, it seriously stresses the attachment point. I know this from experience. A proper permanent attachment is the correct decision IMHO.

I disagree with these claims that the lack or replaceable cables will affect sales, profits etc. I believe that quality of design and sound will determine the fate of the IE 800. I personally have high hopes for this IEM but we will see.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #160 of 7,998
I  was not discussing if non-detachable was right choice. Even with the IE7 I  found the cable very solid, so I  didn't miss the detachable option. It's just that people that are paying a lot are expecting the detachable option. That's how I  explain the disappointment on this thread.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #162 of 7,998
Quote:
I just don't understand why detachable = quality. Look at the Shure fiasco that happened when the 535 series was released.

What do you mean ? I'm not aware of a fiasco for the se535. Now people prefer to buy the se535 rather than se530.
I've seen numerous people complaining of the built quality of se530, so if the se535 offers a fix, that's welcome.
If there are preferred alternatives from other brands, that's  an other story.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #163 of 7,998
Quote:
I just don't understand why detachable = quality. Look at the Shure fiasco that happened when the 535 series was released.

Detachable means possibly longer life span. If my cable breaks, I much prefer replacing the cable then sending it back for repair or getting a new set.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #164 of 7,998
Quote:
Detachable means possibly longer life span. If my cable breaks, I much prefer replacing the cable then sending it back for repair or getting a new set.

Exactly. The fact that Sennheisers current Flagship has detachable cables and it has been a plus and not a negative doesn't fair well. There was really no reason for this change. Also the fact that upgrading my IE80s cable has yielded improved sound quality, why wouldn't I want that option with their new flagship? There's a reason Westone has the 4R version now and why Shure has the SE535. There were several warranty replacements and complaints due to cables breaking on such expensive IEMs. There is just no reason not to have replaceable cable options. The fact that Custom IEMs have standard replaceable connections for their IEMs should make it very easy for these manufacturers to adopt. There is no excuse, period, not at these price ranges.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #165 of 7,998
Personally  I  think there's three reasons why sennheiser would have choose non detachable :
1) The cable is nearly  unbreakable, the detachable option is not needed.
2) Reducing production  costs, bigger margin on the product. Profits.
3) Thanks to a limited life span, there's an opportunity to resell an other iem in the long term. Profits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back