Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #136 of 7,998
Quote:
When I saw that both on the K3003 and IE800 I thought it was very weird... Being top end universals... Maybe I'll take my chances and go with a CIEM.

Honestly, some of the comments about value in this thread are rather perplexing. Just blindly declaring customs to be more reasonable investments than a similarly priced universal is questionable, because these statements don't really take into account the additional costs and potential frustration of audiologist appointments, impression-taking, mailing said impressions, waiting a month or two, paying for shipment of the customs, possible fit issues and added costs of having to send the earphones back for a readjustment, and then paying for second or third return trips and import tax. You're looking at additional associated costs of between $100 to up to $500 in the most extreme cases for that $700 pair of customs, as well as a month of waiting or perhaps two months if a refit is needed. I'm not knocking customs, as I think they have a legitimate appeal and place in this hobby, but I think many head-fiers recommend them a bit too hastily---at the drop of a hat---and seem to feel that they're a better option than universals for almost every person by default. There's a pervasive view that customs are "worth" their astronomical price tags whereas similarly priced universals are not, and I've seen various arguments to this effect ranging from saying unequivocally that customs just sound better in all cases, to saying the labor put into their construction validates the price. 

Now my own experience with customs is far more limited compared to that of universals, however based on that experience I'd say a top-tier universal like the K3003 or FI-BA-SS is pretty much on par in terms of SQ and build. Of course there are certain disadvantages to universals, and in the case of the IE800 one of those is a non-detachable cable. Incidentally I can't think of any universal IEM above $700 that does have a detachable cable, with the sole exception of the TO GO 334, and that is more or less a universalized pair of customs. However there are also disadvantages inherent in owning a pair of customs too! Take resale value for instance. If you ever get tired of your customs and decide to sell them, be prepared to take a MASSIVE hit, far less of a return than you would get selling a K3003 or FI-BA-SS. If you had a cable failure in your universal, you could at least get it repaired under warranty. Sure it would be a hassle to wait for a new one to be shipped to you, but then there's always the chance you'd need a refit with a CIEM and would have to wait in that instance too.

My point is this: I don't feel there is a cut-and-dry delineation between customs and universals in terms of value. Both have their unique advantages and disadvantages, and I would never suggest to someone that they rule out an entire category of listening device without first taking into consideration the benefits and drawbacks and how they relate to one's needs.

Head-fi can be far too dogmatic at times.

On a slightly more on-topic note, I'm looking forward to these, as their design is rather interesting and has the appeal of potentially eliminating that "vacuum seal" effect that bothers me from time to time. They look rather Gigerish, and that seems rather appropriate given that people have been comparing the HD800 to a Star Trek prop and likewise the HD700 to something from the set of Star Wars. A sci-fi trifecta of sorts.

While I find Sennheiser can be a bit lacking in terms of visceral excitement, they do make very reliable and solidly built products. I for one wouldn't be too worried about the cable on the IE800 failing. In the event that it happens, well, their customer service is generally spot-on, and it's likely they'd replace them with a fresh pair.

May 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #137 of 7,998
People are making an issue of the non detachable cable of IE800, but I didn't have any problem with the cable of my senn IE7, very solid, and fixed. The issue I  got with the senn IE7, is either moisture or dust going through the vents .
The only reason to get the IE8 over IE7   was for me : detachable cable, stupid bass adjuster, and highs that people claim to be better but still not impressive. I  can't understand why the senn IE7 was discontinued,  and now  this "top iem" with fixed cable again.

Maybe Sennheiser thought that the senn IE7  was too good for the price, and that people are enough dumb for willing to pay more, so they prefer to  release an insanely priced IEm  and discontinue stuff that would provide audiophile satisfaction at a too low price.

May 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #138 of 7,998
I am interested in these for much the same reasons as below, the big one being the removal of the vacuum seal which has almost made me give up IEM's as of late. Whether I will be willing to spend $800 on these, that is an entirely different question and one that will require a lot of positive reviews (for months and months no FOTM), the reviews will have to indicate the right signature for me, and I will of course have to sell damn near everything I own to get them LOL.
Quote:

On a slightly more on-topic note, I'm looking forward to these, as their design is rather interesting and has the appeal of potentially eliminating that "vacuum seal" effect that bothers me from time to time. They look rather Gigerish, and that seems rather appropriate given that people have been comparing the HD800 to a Star Trek prop and likewise the HD700 to something from the set of Star Wars. A sci-fi trifecta of sorts.

May 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #139 of 7,998
Quote:

Quote:
I am interested in these for much the same reasons as below, the big one being the removal of the vacuum seal which has almost made me give up IEM's as of late. Whether I will be willing to spend $800 on these, that is an entirely different question and one that will require a lot of positive reviews (for months and months no FOTM), the reviews will have to indicate the right signature for me, and I will of course have to sell damn near everything I own to get them LOL.

It makes me feel better that I am not the only one finding the vacuum seal of balanced armature IEMs problematic. I am looking forward to the release of these "dynamic, closed vented" IEMs. The ie 800 looks to be very well made. We will see how it sounds.

May 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #140 of 7,998
Quote:

Going through the process of getting customs is oh so worth that wait so long as you get something you are sure you will like.

I find this statement confusing. How can you possibly be "sure" whether you will like a CIEM? You can't hear it as it's intended to be heard until you have bought and paid for them, and if you don't like them, time to remove ones shirt...

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #141 of 7,998
Quote:

I find this statement confusing. How can you possibly be "sure" whether you will like a CIEM? You can't hear it as it's intended to be heard until you have bought and paid for them, and if you don't like them, time to remove ones shirt...

Well, when I went and got my JH13 I demoed the universal version first. While the universal doesn't come very close to the quality of a true custom it gives you a good indication of the sound.

Well, frankly living in Australia, finding good headphones to demo until recently has been harder than trying to find a virgin in a maternity ward. So basically almost every headphone I have ever bought has been a leap of faith and I've never really been let down.

Of course if you know what sound signature you are looking for and understand what the general consensus of the sound signature of an ciem is, then you can pretty much identify which ciem will suit you best.

Of course again you can always read the hundreds of pages dedicated to the more popular ciems.

May 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #142 of 7,998
Wondering which one will be better between this & the more pricy AKG 3003.. (Who want to be the 1st to make the comparison review, folks?) 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #144 of 7,998
Quote:

You aren't alone there. I really do not like the vacuum seal I got from my custom TF10s. It's just bizarre feeling. And using them for long periods of time results in fatigue and headache. Would really love to hear these things for myself though...

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #145 of 7,998
Quote:
You aren't alone there. I really do not like the vacuum seal I got from my custom TF10s. It's just bizarre feeling. And using them for long periods of time results in fatigue and headache. Would really love to hear these things for myself though...

I always try to rid of any vacuum seals.  They don't seem natural to me, and uncomfortable.  Man, I clicked the link hoping to see info on the IE800s :p  Ya' got me!

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #146 of 7,998
Quote:

I always try to rid of any vacuum seals.  They don't seem natural to me, and uncomfortable.  Man, I clicked the link hoping to see info on the IE800s :p  Ya' got me!

I do this too.  I usually crack the seal just to equalize after that first insertion.  Improves the sound as well.  Yes, we got pwnd.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #148 of 7,998
Anyone have any idea when they're coming out? Or if there are any prototypes out at showcases to demo as of yet?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #149 of 7,998
Quote:
People are making an issue of the non detachable cable of IE800, but I didn't have any problem with the cable of my senn IE7, very solid, and fixed.

I disagree.  You may not have had a problem but it is an inherent source of weakness and there is no excuse not to include them at that price.  No way am I spending that amount of cash when a simple damaged/torn cable (can happen in a million ways) can mean the investment is gone.  Incidentally, this was a big draw of the IE 80s for me.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #150 of 7,998
Quote:
I disagree.  You may not have had a problem but it is an inherent source of weakness and there is no excuse not to include them at that price.  No way am I spending that amount of cash when a simple damaged/torn cable (can happen in a million ways) can mean the investment is gone.  Incidentally, this was a big draw of the IE 80s for me.

Right. Because there's absolutely no warranty procedure in place, and Sennheiser will tell you to piss off if their product fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back