Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 26, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #7,936 of 7,998
Send them to Vesper Audio and have them convert them to MMCX. A bit of a pain sending them but well worth it. They can replace any parts that are needed or break in process.

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #7,937 of 7,998
Thanks to the help of @Vesperaudio mine are still going strong after 8 years :slight_smile:
Left driver left the chat after 5 years of use + the (crappy) cable of the left ear piece was as stiff as it can get :thumbsdown:
I don't like big IEMs with a cable over the ear, with the MMCX mod and a good cable i don't think they have much competition if we consider the tiny form factor.

DSC06673.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #7,938 of 7,998
I have had the same (in)famous issue on my IE800s, after eight years one side died, so i decided to ship them to Vesperaudio for repair and mod, yes, I took the occasion to improve the cabling and get it terminated with TRRS L shaped connector to benefit of the so called semi-balaced output of my old but still loved Sony ZX2. They are on their way back to home righ now and should receive the parcel shortly, but according to the reputation that Vesperaudio has earned, I'm sure it will be an excellent job.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #7,940 of 7,998
Exactly you could go through loads of rubbish replacable cables but the Ie800 one could last for ever.
If drivers don't die and require Vesperaudio support.
Mine IE800 has left driver died too, for example.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #7,941 of 7,998
I have had the same (in)famous issue on my IE800s, after eight years one side died, so i decided to ship them to Vesperaudio for repair and mod, yes, I took the occasion to improve the cabling and get it terminated with TRRS L shaped connector to benefit of the so called semi-balaced output of my old but still loved Sony ZX2. They are on their way back to home righ now and should receive the parcel shortly, but according to the reputation that Vesperaudio has earned, I'm sure it will be an excellent job.

While you're in the process of having your IE800 repaired by vesperaudio, which is a bit tedious considering he is in Belarus, you should go for the MMCX mod, it solves any future cable problem and give you the ability to cable roll.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #7,942 of 7,998
While you're in the process of having your IE800 repaired by vesperaudio, which is a bit tedious considering he is in Belarus, you should go for the MMCX mod, it solves any future cable problem and give you the ability to cable roll.
Agreed - After Vesper repaired and modded mine to mmcx, I can use their Empathy cable and roll this with OEM cables from the IE900 range every so often....

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #7,943 of 7,998
Oh yes…I read the original post wrong on cable improvements. 100% should go to MMCX. How else are you going to hear IE800 + Horus 8? Joking, but not entirely.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #7,944 of 7,998
Actually this is a kind of mod that I've been suggested by Pavel of Vesperaudio but I preferred to skip this mod because don't like to add any weight to these light earbuds and sincerely speaking also because I don't trust very much in long therm reliability of such small coax intercon, more prefer to face the risk of fixed cable issue....if any after the recabling. Anyway I chose the best new upgrade cable Vesperaudio could offer and install according to my given constraints which are to keep the original straight down way to wear the IE800 an, max lightness and the possibility to install a L shaped TRRS plug, and it resulted to be the Legato arg 2x. Of course I requested to eliminate the useless (to my need) split at "Y" level and to replace it with the lighter solution to realize the "Y" point that is a sort of short clear plastic tube. I think my choice should provide a more than good sonic result along with comfortable use. They are alreday on the way back to me, it should take only few days again.
I will post here my impressions after some hours of use.

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #7,946 of 7,998
This is the picture of my IE800s repaired and upgraded with new cable Legato arg 2x and TRRS connector that kindly Vesperaudio sent me meanwhile the parcel is on its way.

Very nice and clean looking. That cable will be a vast improvement ergonomically over the stock cable.

How does Vesper Audio repair IE-800 / 800S drivers? They have authentic spare drivers from Sennheiser?

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #7,948 of 7,998
How does Vesper Audio repair IE-800 / 800S drivers? They have authentic spare drivers from Sennheiser?
Yes, it seems that Vesper Audio is among the few or the only one able to get and use original Sennheiser spare parts for critical repair, in addition to top notch parts for upgrade as cabling and connectors. At certain technology level would make no sense to spend money for a arguable result in therms of sound quality using not original and certified spare parts, every sigle detail matter to achieve the result intended by the maker and obtained after time and money spent in research.To not mention the needed knowledge and skill to professionally disassemble and reassemble back such complex items, not easy, believe me!

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #7,949 of 7,998
Finally few days ago I got back my loved IE800s from Vesper Audio care and wow! what such professional job they have made! Every single detail is perfect, the L shaped TRRS connector is so small and light, more than my hope, but at same time of a very high quality, the new cabling (Legato) is very nice looking, elegant and super light and the earbuds connection (I have chosen the not removable solution) is profesionally made, would say same oem quality at least. Come to the sound now, I'm impressed by general improved clarity and details, it has more harmonic richness from low to high ends, couldn't be more happy. So, yes, I can totally recommend Vesper Audio to everyone that are in the need of repair or cabling update for their headset.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #7,950 of 7,998
Congrats and nice decision. You might consider picking up a 2nd used pair and trying their MMCX conversion so you can try other cables. think you said you were concerned about adding the extra weight but I don’t think it adds any noticeable weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back