Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 24, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #6,061 of 7,998
  I have a sound sample of the Mojo recorded through it's line out to a semi pro ART analogue to digital device. I have volume matched it to a micro iDSD BL Dacamp costing quite a bit more. I have them on my google drive. If anyone wants to listen to the differences PM me and I will send you the link. I recorded 2 files at 44.1. Track 1 was a flac file track 2 a DSD. The differences are there, but you will hopefully see that you really have to concentrate to hear them and you might have to listen over and over again. I have a feeling I can draw a conclusion; the more you listen to something as subtle as a dacamp the more the differences will become noticeable. I think the differences between similarly powered devices aren't anywhere near as obvious as they are with similarly spec'd headphones or iems

Totally true! 

The biggest of differences lie within different headphones! 

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6,062 of 7,998

It's a bit messy, I'll probably recable it once more later because the shop didn't have more than 1 selection for 2.5mm TRRS.

EDIT: Another picture

How difficult are these to recable?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #6,063 of 7,998
I have mine in for recabling - I am looking for an over the ear fit . I will tell you once I get it back. My thoughts and those of my learned friend @glassmonkey - we believe the cable will be cut back from the driver shells and a new cable spliced on and heat shrunk flush to the terminal. This rather than the driver shells split apart and the drivers desoldered from the cable ends of the original cable. I hope we can get some more expert views on this

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,064 of 7,998
I was told by the official Turkish Sennheiser dealer that IE800 S (the new version of IE800) is being developed and will be announced in upcoming months. Insider information apparently. It might be wise to wait before buying IE800. I hope they smoothened the treble and made the cables replaceable. I'd buy it definitely.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #6,065 of 7,998
  I was told by the official Turkish Sennheiser dealer that IE800 S (the new version of IE800) is being developed and will be announced in upcoming months. Insider information apparently. It might be wise to wait before buying IE800. I hope they smoothened the treble and made the cables replaceable. I'd buy it definitely.

if they are releasing a new version i am buying one as well

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #6,067 of 7,998

Any indication whether these will be priced the same as the current models or priced higher as separate, higher-end IEM's?

The HD800S is a little more than the existing HD800 (9% ish), so I think it's safe to assume that both models with be available at the same time, with the "S" version commanding a slightly higher price.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #6,068 of 7,998
  The HD800S is a little more than the existing HD800 (9% ish), so I think it's safe to assume that both models with be available at the same time, with the "S" version commanding a slightly higher price.

sennheiser is reasonable in their pricing which i like bout them, so i doubt the new flagship will not exceed 2000 usd

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #6,071 of 7,998
Dec 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #6,073 of 7,998
Hi all,

I've received my comply tips:
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/sen-isolation/

These are the only ones I've tried which fits snugly without them falling off or getting stuck in my ears.

Sound signature will definitely be altered slightly hence don't expect them to sound like stock.

Do consider them if you are looking for enhanced comfort and isolation.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #6,074 of 7,998
  I have mine in for recabling - I am looking for an over the ear fit . I will tell you once I get it back. My thoughts and those of my learned friend @glassmonkey - we believe the cable will be cut back from the driver shells and a new cable spliced on and heat shrunk flush to the terminal. This rather than the driver shells split apart and the drivers desoldered from the cable ends of the original cable. I hope we can get some more expert views on this

If I got you right, earphones on photos you quoted are recabled with splicing (at least as far as the quality of photos allows to judge). This is a quite temporarily measure, not the proper recabling. Cable near the earphones need to be bendable and solid. This place is heavily loaded. Not even talking about oxidizing which will 100% occur. Besides you can expect some hq cable to be an upgrade compared to stock, but with splicing you will get no advantages here. And I should say splicing looks a bit ugly)
At the other hand you have minimal risk compared to complete disassembling.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #6,075 of 7,998

If I got you right, earphones on photos you quoted are recabled with splicing (at least as far as the quality of photos allows to judge). This is a quite temporarily measure, not the proper recabling. Cable near the earphones need to be bendable and solid. This place is heavily loaded. Not even talking about oxidizing which will 100% occur. Besides you can expect some hq cable to be an upgrade compared to stock, but with splicing you will get no advantages here. And I should say splicing looks a bit ugly)
At the other hand you have minimal risk compared to complete disassembling.

Thanks for explaining that Vesper - I am quite naive when it comes to the principles involved in recabling to achieve better sound quality from your phones. It would appear from your comments that even with 95% of the cable removed that 5% being soldered to the drivers is the most critical element in the overall performance from your cabling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back