Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 4, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #4,831 of 7,998
  I have a very hard time finding a very good IEM to take outside, instead of Ie800, because I want to protect ie800, as they have those helmholtz resonators and it seems as if the dusty air of Bucharest might affect ie800 in time. 

The thing is, all lower tier and even other high tier IEMs and almost all closed back headphones are so boring when it comes to crisp and sparkly sound. They all sound dark in comparation. I wish that more headphones and IEMs would be created with a similar signature. 

I would never want to dampen this exciting sound. There are moments, when I even add a bit more treble to them

I have a recommendation for you in that case!

The Echobox Finder X1's may be perfect.  They are a dynamic driver titanium IEM with switchable filters and even their cable looks a bit like the IE800.  They have a similar v-shaped signature and even their "warm" filter has plenty of treble (similar to IE800) and you can increase this treble two stages further with the filter options.  I am very happy with my pair and use them for those occasions where I am not happy to use my IE800's.  The cable length and interchangeable tips are of course an improvement on the IE800 too :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #4,832 of 7,998
I also had a pair of Sony MDR-EX650 B that had so much treble content I couldn't handle it. It was clear as a bell. You might want to check that out too.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,833 of 7,998
Hello. I just purchased a pair of IE800s from a reputable seller here at Head-fi. I just received them, and the driver is falling out of the housing on the right earpiece. Is this common for the IE800? Is there a recommended fix?

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #4,834 of 7,998
I've never seen that, but I can't imagine that's anything krazy glue won't fix. Perhaps email Sennheiser that photo, they're pretty good with issues like these on flagship products.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,836 of 7,998
I would contact the seller if that happened to me and see what could be worked out.

The seller and I are in contact. He is being very understanding. I'm not worried about that. I believe he will refund my money if we cannot work this out. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this issue?

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #4,837 of 7,998
It's a first for me for the IE800. The closest I've seen was on a much less expensive Hifiman RE300 where the IEM separated at the seam not much after purchase.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,838 of 7,998
On a different note, is there a cable with a iPhone remote for the IE800? I found the RCS800 on Google, but I don't think that has volume for the iPhone, and I can't seem to find it for sale anyway. Any DIY mods or reasonably priced third party cables with iPhone remote? I just want start/stop, and volume.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,839 of 7,998

The seller and I are in contact. He is being very understanding. I'm not worried about that. I believe he will refund my money if we cannot work this out. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this issue?

That issue is not normal at all. 

I cannot imagine how it happened, I mean, it is heavily glued there. 

You should contact Sennheiser, ask them and see what they have to say, and there are third party people who might repair your ie800 too if you insist. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #4,840 of 7,998

I have a recommendation for you in that case!

The Echobox Finder X1's may be perfect.  They are a dynamic driver titanium IEM with switchable filters and even their cable looks a bit like the IE800.  They have a similar v-shaped signature and even their "warm" filter has plenty of treble (similar to IE800) and you can increase this treble two stages further with the filter options.  I am very happy with my pair and use them for those occasions where I am not happy to use my IE800's.  The cable length and interchangeable tips are of course an improvement on the IE800 too :)

Thanks a lot!

I will surely look into them, as they are not too expensive. I would not expect ie800 out of them, but it would be great if I could have a great portable IEM to take with me when weather or place does not permit ie800. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,841 of 7,998
I also had a pair of Sony MDR-EX650 B that had so much treble content I couldn't handle it. It was clear as a bell. You might want to check that out too.
If you think they're clean and clear (which they're not too bad at being!) try the EX750NA, all stepped up a gear, or my current favourite (which has the same drivers) is the NC750, only any good with the Z5 smartphone which limits its appeal massively, but the DSP on the phone really lifts what sound like humdrum drivers into something rather special for those of us that like a clean top end (as should be a prerequisite for any IE800 owner)...

Add in that they're only 1/12 the cost of the IE800 and it gives proof that the larger organisations out there still know what they're doing (even if cheating with DSP)

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #4,843 of 7,998
man i gotta tell u so i have a freind who bought a fake ie800 and he swears how good it sounds and he owned some other iems before, so how come a fake ie800 can sound good

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #4,844 of 7,998
Just because it's fake doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.

If it sounds that good, it should be able to stand on its own.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,845 of 7,998
  man i gotta tell u so i have a freind who bought a fake ie800 and he swears how good it sounds and he owned some other iems before, so how come a fake ie800 can sound good

Because he's too proud to admit he got conned?  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back