Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #4,081 of 7,998

That's possible. Reversing left and right channel for over-ear use is one solution to preserve the correct driver angling; another one is accepting another loop in the cable (that's mine). Not easy with a cable that short, but it just works (and a little better with the slider removed).

I cannot understand how to accept another loop in the cable. I mean, how should it look like ?

To wear it over-the-ear (with "stock" driver angling) and keep the right stereo sound you need to invert stereo channels. There are 2 ways to do this. 1. to find softplayer that will provide this feature, if you use iphone or android-based devices. Neutron used to have it. 2. To replace cable jack.

Foobar can do this, but I listen most of time with my fiio x5II which has no options for reversing audio channels. 

If worn over the ear without reversing the channels, the treble has a kind of reverb to it, like it lasts for too long, and ultimately distorts. the ting is, when worn straight down, the Y split connector is a little too heavy, and the earpieces are pushed out of the ear, it creates a slight discomfort. 

I wonder why I never had this problem when I first got them. Probably because I was coming from another use of an IEM, the Ie8. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #4,083 of 7,998
Sep 3, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,084 of 7,998
It may be due to a fortunate ear anatomy, but I have no problem wearing the IE800 over-ears while retaining the same nozzle angle against the ear canal as with a downwards fit. As a result, the earpieces' rear end simply sits more flush with my ear instead of protruding outwards, which incidentally also helps to reduce wind noise.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #4,085 of 7,998
Same here, it just fits. Only the Sony EX-1000 fit better.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #4,086 of 7,998

Like this:

It may be due to a fortunate ear anatomy, but I have no problem wearing the IE800 over-ears while retaining the same nozzle angle against the ear canal as with a downwards fit. As a result, the earpieces' rear end simply sits more flush with my ear instead of protruding outwards, which incidentally also helps to reduce wind noise.

These ideeas are really worth trying. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,087 of 7,998
Okay, so the ideea of wearing over the ear, and letting it enter as it enters when worn straight down makes sound much better, the soundstage is much more coherent, and the entire sound is sweet. 

The downside is that it is a bid tight for me, and if audiophile equipment in general might look a little akward, this looks straightforward strange. 

But the SQ is totally worth the effort. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,088 of 7,998
i like to experiment everytime
I just received my 2.5 female to 3,5 male adaptor so I replaced  the stock cable with a good low impedance  one
the resut : the bass becomes depper and the stage exiting wide (a really improvment againt the short stock cable )
you have to try to believe what exiting can  the ie800 sound
may be senn can sell a much better cable if they want to compete with the  the new iems rivals
HTC M8 > USB AUDIO PRO > FLAC FILE > Y IE800 ORIGINAL CABLE > LOW Z CABLE

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #4,089 of 7,998
  i like to experiment everytime
I just received my 2.5 female to 3,5 male adaptor so I replaced  the stock cable with a good low impedance  one
the resut : the bass becomes depper and the stage exiting wide (a really improvment againt the short stock cable )
you have to try to believe what exiting can  the ie800 sound
may be senn can sell a much better cable if they want to compete with the  the new iems rivals
HTC M8 > USB AUDIO PRO > FLAC FILE > Y IE800 ORIGINAL CABLE > LOW Z CABLE

Most people who buy the ie800 probably won't benefit from a lower impedance cable because they are using an audio source that can easily drive an iem using a 16-ohm cable.   Your new cable probably sounds better to  you because you are driving them with your phone, which likely doesn't have enough juice for optimal sound quality.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #4,090 of 7,998

Most people who buy the ie800 probably won't benefit from a lower impedance cable because they are using an audio source that can easily drive an iem using a 16-ohm cable.   Your new cable probably sounds better to  you because you are driving them with your phone, which likely doesn't have enough juice for optimal sound quality.

I second this statement. 

A fiio X5II has much more power than a smartphone. Smartphones usually carry less than 16mw of power, when most ie800 users feed it with at least 50-60mw.

Also a 16 ohm cable is not high impedance, and it filters the hiss that usually comes from noisy sources, it is best to let it be. I think that it is best that ie800 has a linear impedance response, and the phase response is also spectacular. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #4,091 of 7,998
I do not intend to convince anyone that  the sound is just better and widder  soundstage to try this  it will cost you $2 (2.5mm female to 3.5 mm nale) for the adaptor and  using other  extention cables (se530/35) 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,092 of 7,998
  Most people who buy the ie800 probably won't benefit from a lower impedance cable because they are using an audio source that can easily drive an iem using a 16-ohm cable.

Also a 16 ohm cable is not high impedance, and it filters the hiss that usually comes from noisy sources, it is best to let it be.

There is no 16 ohm cable, the earpieces are 16 ohms. The potential difference from changing cables is only a fraction of that.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #4,093 of 7,998
  I second this statement. 

A fiio X5II has much more power than a smartphone. Smartphones usually carry less than 16mw of power, when most ie800 users feed it with at least 50-60mw.

Also a 16 ohm cable is not high impedance, and it filters the hiss that usually comes from noisy sources, it is best to let it be. I think that it is best that ie800 has a linear impedance response, and the phase response is also spectacular. 

1. Let's set things straight: 16 ohm impedance for an earphone cable is a lot. You must be making a confusion here between the impedance of the driver and the impedance/resistance of the cable. 16 ohms is arguably the most common impedance of dynamic driver based IEMs, whereas the ideal cable will be a perfect conductor (i.e. 0 ohm resistance); in practice a decent earphone cable will measure around 0.5-1 ohm.

2. Cable impedance, combined with the DAP/amplifier internal impedance can make a difference in the overall sound quality under certain conditions, therefore it does make sense to favor a setup whereby the two combined are low. For those interested/new to this topic, a great introduction to the subject is available here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html. 

3. IE800 cable is more than decent electrically speaking. Combined with the short length (which is actually a bit of a pain comfort wise), it results in what is already a low impedance cable as far as earphones go. I don't have an SE530/535 extension cable to measure it, but it doubt the impedance difference vs. IE800 factory cable will be significant, especially since the required 3.5 to 2.5mm adaptor will add some extra losses, minor as they may be. The difference in damping factor i.e. driver impedance/(amplifier+cable impedance) will be therefore minute.

4. One has to keep in mind that the majority of audio sources have an output impedance that is significantly higher than that of the average cable; even an (inexcusably) large number of dedicated amplifiers have impedances many times higher than a headphone cable. In other words, in real life squeezing a few tenths of an ohm from a different cable will make little difference in the overall damping factor of the system.

5. I don't want to start yet another dispute concerning the effects of cables, but given the above I'd take with a grain of salt the claim that in this case a different cable will lead to significant improvements in sound (if any). Not trying to contradict anyone, just stating some facts so that everybody can draw their own conclusions.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,094 of 7,998

1. Let's set things straight: 16 ohm impedance for an earphone cable is a lot. You must be making a confusion here between the impedance of the driver and the impedance/resistance of the cable. 16 ohms is arguably the most common impedance of dynamic driver based IEMs, whereas the ideal cable will be a perfect conductor (i.e. 0 ohm resistance); in practice a decent earphone cable will measure around 0.5-1 ohm.

2. Cable impedance, combined with the DAP/amplifier internal impedance can make a difference in the overall sound quality under certain conditions, therefore it does make sense to favor a setup whereby the two combined are low. For those interested/new to this topic, a great introduction to the subject is available here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html. 

3. IE800 cable is more than decent electrically speaking. Combined with the short length (which is actually a bit of a pain comfort wise), it results in what is already a low impedance cable as far as earphones go. I don't have an SE530/535 extension cable to measure it, but it doubt the impedance difference vs. IE800 factory cable will be significant, especially since the required 3.5 to 2.5mm adaptor will add some extra losses, minor as they may be. The difference in damping factor i.e. driver impedance/(amplifier+cable impedance) will be therefore minute.

4. One has to keep in mind that the majority of audio sources have an output impedance that is significantly higher than that of the average cable; even an (inexcusably) large number of dedicated amplifiers have impedances many times higher than a headphone cable. In other words, in real life squeezing a few tenths of an ohm from a different cable will make little difference in the overall damping factor of the system.

5. I don't want to start yet another dispute concerning the effects of cables, but given the above I'd take with a grain of salt the claim that in this case a different cable will lead to significant improvements in sound (if any). Not trying to contradict anyone, just stating some facts so that everybody can draw their own conclusions.

Sorry, I was not arguing, I simply think that engineers who made the cable thought the phase response, and impedance response of it to be as good as possible. Aftermarket in general are worse from a perfectionist POV, considering that some of the alloys used in expensive cables actually induce phase delay, or are inducing a cable resistance which leads to a worse reproduction (less fidelity) but a more liked sound. 

These being said, I do not have the time to experiment with cables, I think that they affect sound, but I am just saying, I am happy with Ie800 cable form a SQ POV.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #4,095 of 7,998
Sorry, I was not arguing, I simply think that engineers who made the cable thought the phase response, and impedance response of it to be as good as possible. Aftermarket in general are worse from a perfectionist POV, considering that some of the alloys used in expensive cables actually induce phase delay, or are inducing a cable resistance which leads to a worse reproduction (less fidelity) but a more liked sound. 

These being said, I do not have the time to experiment with cables, I think that they affect sound, but I am just saying, I am happy with Ie800 cable form a SQ POV.

No connection between cable and measurable phase response/impedance variations within the audioband.

The fact that IE800 has a flat impedance over the audio spectrum has nothing to do with the cable design but it is merely a byproduct of driver technology - single dynamic driver IEMS are linear in this respect, as oposed to multiple balanced armature IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back