Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4,006 of 7,998
The thing about changing the cable is, you can't open the IEMs themselves, so any recable being done to them is just someone cutting off all but maybe 1/4" of the wires just before the IEMs themselves and attaching that cable to the stock wires. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,007 of 7,998
  The thing about changing the cable is, you can't open the IEMs themselves, so any recable being done to them is just someone cutting off all but maybe 1/4" of the wires just before the IEMs themselves and attaching that cable to the stock wires. 

In above pictures that seems to be the case, it's probably indeed the only solution. And most likely the one I'm going to choose myself, with a homemade cable.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,008 of 7,998
In above pictures that seems to be the case, it's probably indeed the only solution. And most likely the one I'm going to choose myself, with a homemade cable.

How do you make sure not to mess up the phase by crossing the wires?

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #4,009 of 7,998

Well, I'm sure it's a person that does the wiring initially, so I can pretty much guarantee that they're color coded. You would use a multimeter on the cable after it's detached from the IEMs and figure out which wire is the ground and which is the signal, then attach the new cable to it. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,010 of 7,998
If anyone is desperate for something like this, send me money for parts and shipping and I'll do it for you and maybe even make a video or slide show for others to use to do the same thing in the future. Should be pretty easy honestly.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4,011 of 7,998

Yes, I suppose the IE800 wires are color coded (as in the HD 650 and HD 800 cables), and for mine I'd use an ohmmeter to check.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,013 of 7,998
I wanted to ask.

Some cables that were replaced seemed to be some sort of hard memory wire. This means that they should be as stiff as the hardened ie800 cable. I was wondering why people bother to do this. I mean, I would change the cables to something very easy to bend, and very soft and comfy. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,014 of 7,998
  Wonder whether those who encounter cable hardening lie down or sleep with their IE800. And if so, whether they might have a preferred side lying / sleeping position.

I don't.  There's absolutely nothing I'm doing that would cause a bias toward one side - this is truly odd.

Also to note the entire left cable is now hardening, all the way down to the connector.  I'll get around to taking pictures next week, but the left side literally holds itself up a pretty noticable degree relative to the right side which is just as supple as the lower cable...  it's like a min garden hose.  

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #4,015 of 7,998
I wanted to ask.

Some cables that were replaced seemed to be some sort of hard memory wire. This means that they should be as stiff as the hardened ie800 cable. I was wondering why people bother to do this. I mean, I would change the cables to something very easy to bend, and very soft and comfy. 

No, straight down cables like THE IE800's wouldn't use memory wire, you're probably just looking at the heatshrink.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,016 of 7,998
  Wonder whether those who encounter cable hardening lie down or sleep with their IE800. And if so, whether they might have a preferred side lying / sleeping position.

My first set was stiff like a coat hanger right out of the box.  Subsequent ones hardened later but I never slept or laid down with them at all.  I usually use them active.   I use full size phones at home and in bed.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,017 of 7,998
I have tried to make my own replacement extension cable instead of modding the upper cables.   However, I didn't have much luck.  The 2.5mm female sockets i was able to buy were clunky and unreliable.  I also made the mistake of using a cable that was basically too heavy.

I would like to try to make one using enameled stranded wire, but I have been able to find any pre-jacketed 3 or 4 conductor enameled stranded wire for sale.  So, the cable will certainly be heavier than the stock one when I am finally able to make one that is satisfactory for me.

If anyone has recommendations for wires or sockets to use, I would like to hear them.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,018 of 7,998
You can take a look on Aliexpress, last time I checked, they even had some pre-built aftermarket ie800 cables, I`ve ordered a bunch of interconnect cables from here and whilst shipping takes around 3 weeks - 1 month, the quality is great and since most are custom made, you can ask for different lengths, jacks and request extra heatshrink strain relief, etc, usually at no extra charge. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #4,019 of 7,998
Just got mine 2 weeks ago when I was travelling to Lyon. Got it for 300 euros for a display unit that has never even be used, it is in the range of 12xxx. I'm quite satisfied, almost bought myself Ultrasone IQ Pro and I'm surprised that an IEM can sound this good and demolish my MDR EX1000.

Any suggestion for IE800 mod ? The cable kinda seems flimsy and I'm trying to eliminate the microphonics.

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,020 of 7,998
My
Just got mine 2 weeks ago when I was travelling to Lyon. Got it for 300 euros for a display unit that has never even be used, it is in the range of 12xxx. I'm quite satisfied, almost bought myself Ultrasone IQ Pro and I'm surprised that an IEM can sound this good and demolish my MDR EX1000.

Any suggestion for IE800 mod ? The cable kinda seems flimsy and I'm trying to eliminate the microphonics.

My IE800 compliments my EX-1000. But demolish, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back