Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 31, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #4,036 of 7,998
  how was the sound?

the differences in looks are very hard to notice. 

Differences in above pics are still noticeable but I bought a pair which looked and sounded true to the original. Even Sennheiser technician could not tell the difference until closer inspection and comparing driver units. Reported here. Be cautious when buying IE800 elsewhere than from authorised Sennheiser dealers.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #4,037 of 7,998
Yeah!

My Ie800 are back. The sound is great!

The carry case is changed though. 

The first one was a glossy leather case, skin or skin imitation, now I have a matter leather case. Feels more premium to say the least. S/N 25XXX.

I will return with other data. 

I wonder if I should use Ie800 with my X5 on high gain or low gain. 

Edit : seems that on high gain sounds a little more dynamic and alive. 

EDIT2 : All the treble! Actually, they seem to have some kind of burn in, after some minutes, the sound changes in some ways. Not for the worse. Maybe my mind adapts to the new sound. Who knows. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #4,038 of 7,998
  Yeah!

My Ie800 are back. The sound is great!

The carry case is changed though. 

The first one was a glossy leather case, skin or skin imitation, now I have a matter leather case. Feels more premium to say the least. S/N 25XXX.

I will return with other data. 

I wonder if I should use Ie800 with my X5 on high gain or low gain. 

Edit : seems that on high gain sounds a little more dynamic and alive. 

Υou should buy the Cayin N6 and sell the X5
tongue.gif
.For the time being not even the Sony ZX2(30h burn in,needs 250h for optimal sound) can compete in clarity,detail,bass texture although the ZX2 has more punch,and a warmer tone,sony is a dance/club/pop/rock dap.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4,039 of 7,998
  Υou should buy the Cayin N6 and sell the X5
tongue.gif
.For the time being not even the Sony ZX2(30h burn in,needs 250h for optimal sound) can compete in clarity,detail,bass texture although the ZX2 has more punch,and a warmer tone,sony is a dance/club/pop/rock dap.

I took the situation into account. X5II already has enough clarity. N6 looks interesting, but I kind of preffer the X5 as a DAP, due to some of it's comodities, such as price, dual microsd slot, possibility to edit UI [I made one myself for X5II already], and other stuff. If I will ever get the chance to actually test an N6 I mightchange my mind though!
biggrin.gif

In fact, after some more listening to Ie800, I seem to need to turn the treble down, it is too much, even for me. This or I did not get enough sleep. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,043 of 7,998

Did not know the song, or the band, sounded pretty fun!

I am into more fast and complex when it comes to music, but that song would be great if easy listening. 

Not the usual stuff I listen to, but I'm surprised you don't know it, as the drop near the end (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Faithless_Insomnia.ogg) is one of the most well-known in 90's electronic music history. 
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,045 of 7,998
  I was wodering, most people, when inserting Ie800, do so until they feel the over-pressurization of the IEM, or shallow enoufh to not feel the over-pressur?

Shallow up to the point it doesn't increase much pressure and fall off from the ear,i found gives the best soundstage,least congested,balanced sound

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,047 of 7,998
B
  Shallow up to the point it doesn't increase much pressure and fall off from the ear,i found gives the best soundstage,least congested,balanced sound

But if it's shallow doesn't it fall out?  I am used to my custom molds for the IE800 now, but I feel like the soundstage is smaller due to the tight seal (since only the ports get air out now).  

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4,048 of 7,998
  B
But if it's shallow doesn't it fall out?  I am used to my custom molds for the IE800 now, but I feel like the soundstage is smaller due to the tight seal (since only the ports get air out now).  

That's why i said up to the point it doesn't fall out.You have to find the sweet spot,each ear is different in shape obviously but those who have small ears would push ie800 inside too much and that is not the way to go.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #4,049 of 7,998
I'm happy to report that a Fiio E12A amp does indeed solve all IE800 treble issues. Sibilance, harshness - all gone. When people tell you the E12A is a good budget amp for the IE800, believe them. The downside is less detail and soundstage, compared to the Cayin C5.

An unrelated queston, however - when I look at the little metal webs or nets on the tips Sennheiser ships these with - the wax guards of the tips? - some of the plastic of the tip has molten into the little holes in the side of the net. Every tip I got has this issue, some more, some less. I'm thinking of using a fine needle to clean them up to see if the molten plastic is obstructing the way, maybe changing the sound in some way.

Anyone else notice this? 

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,050 of 7,998
Purchased a pair of cheap (250 €) IE800 from eBay.

Externally are perfect, exactly as shown in photos here on head fi forums and as advertised on the Internet.

Unfortunately, when listened through my Hugo, there were big surprises: piercing highs, extra-wide soundstage (with hole in the middle) and most importantly, imbalance over 3 dB between the two drivers!

They will be sent back to the seller for a full refund.

You were all right for the "genuiness" of cheap IE800 IEMs on eBay....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back