Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4,022 of 7,998
hi folks
a wwek ago   just purchased a pair of those iems from a respetable seller
I hooked  them to my Htc M8 phone untill now I had my beyerdynamics DX160
for me was a long way dilema se530 se535 layla and others
at the end just cut my dilema with a knife and decided to go for the Ie800s
I am glad that  i did such decision and dont regret myself 
the moment  I    started to hear my htc 8 with the ie800 become stuned how my flac music sounded  

those tinny iems deliver a bass quality (deep ,free of disthortion super clean detailed) that riivals against the best full size headphones
I was    running myself  away from the audeze EL6 (that was so dissapointed and could not convince myself that they sound good )

the amount of details in the music is fabulus every nuance is reveled (acoustic instruments -guitars ,wind instruments )
it took so much time looking for my ears right sound (the ie800 remaind me my Beyers T1 i had in the past and gave me big stisfaction
My phone sound really good , also I listened them with my teac ud-501 double mono dac and the sounded fantastic
the only issue I have is that  the ear tips come out you need to retouch the insertion 'I am sure I will found some solution for this 
the sound is so good  rhat I can live with this untill just found the right answer for that
the music is now really exiting
untill know I could not apreciate the audio quality of my phone  that many  rate it  M8 with 5 stars  but  is justlike that

I did some resistance measurements the from the earphone to the Y point 0.15 ohm per wire .3 ohm total maximum electrical damping 16/0.3=53.3
the wire resistance from Y to the 3.5 mm connector 0.7 ohm per wire maximum damping 16/2 x 0.7 = 11.42 (only !!)
next week I will receive my 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter and will replace the wire with a much lower resistance and will see what result  I will receive 

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4,023 of 7,998
Great to hear another satisfied customer.Now hook those babies to your pure II and tell us how it sounds
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,026 of 7,998
I'd just remember I'd taken a couple of shots of the fake IE800 I'd gotten in a local forum, I returned it to the seller after verifying that it was a knock-off, the seller refunded the full amount I'd paid him. Anayway, I took a similar shot of my original IE800 and can point out one obvious difference between them. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but since I had the fake and now a real one, I guess I can help those interested in getting this most excellent IEM. Now, on with the show (and tell!)

A pic of the real McCoy....note the Sennheiser logo, it is clearly 'etched' and the logo is matted, unlike the rest of the housing.

Here's a shot of the IEM with flash on, you can clearly see the matted Sennheiser logo against the glossy surface...

Meanwhile, the knock-off IE800 doesn't quite have that sharply 'etched' Sennheiser logo, and the logo isn't matted, it's glossy like the rest of the housing....I didn't take a shot of it with flash enabled. Also, obviously this fake has a detachable cable mod which should have raise an alarm or two. But the seller and I had a gentlemen's agreement that I'd be fully refunded if it turned out to be a set of fake IE800.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I hope it helps those who are thinking of getting one......an original one that is.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,027 of 7,998
  I'd just remember I'd taken a couple of shots of the fake IE800 I'd gotten in a local forum, I returned it to the seller after verifying that it was a knock-off, the seller refunded the full amount I'd paid him. Anayway, I took a similar shot of my original IE800 and can point out one obvious difference between them. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but since I had the fake and now a real one, I guess I can help those interested in getting this most excellent IEM. Now, on with the show (and tell!)

A pic of the real McCoy....note the Sennheiser logo, it is clearly 'etched' and the logo is matted, unlike the rest of the housing.

Here's a shot of the IEM with flash on, you can clearly see the matted Sennheiser logo against the glossy surface...

Meanwhile, the knock-off IE800 doesn't quite have that sharply 'etched' Sennheiser logo, and the logo isn't matted, it's glossy like the rest of the housing....I didn't take a shot of it with flash enabled. Also, obviously this fake has a detachable cable mod which should have raise an alarm or two. But the seller and I had a gentlemen's agreement that I'd be fully refunded if it turned out to be a set of fake IE800.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I hope it helps those who are thinking of getting one......an original one that is.

how was the sound?

the differences in looks are very hard to notice. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #4,028 of 7,998
I just went to an oficcial senn dealer and listened them for  about half an hour with my phone(m8) many  tracks and was really exited by the detailed sound
I look for a 2nd hand ie800 and found one with a original box and with the original senn logo 
i listen again  the same tracks  i used at the shop but something concerning the detailed sound and deep bass  sound was missing 
even the price was half of a brand new pair I just decided  not to buy them  afraid of being frustated with the sound for a long time
i could not explain myself how  they sound with an original box the iems appeared to be not so sound pperfect
I had no choise I paid the price for  a new brand new from the official dealer  and do not regret myself for the money I paid

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #4,029 of 7,998
  how was the sound?

the differences in looks are very hard to notice. 

The Sennheiser logo is the one big difference for me, just note that the logo is more well 'etched' (a clearer relief) with the logo matted, NOT the gloss like surface of the housing. The picture with flash on really showed the matted logo. The fake one would not have that matted logo, it'd be the same glossy surface like the rest of the housing.

As for the sound, the fake one sounded surprisingly decent, decent enough bass with treble that sounded a tad grainy to me, on its own, pretty good actually. But after getting my genuine IE800 and listening to it, I doubt I'd be fooled by a good fake of it......the real McCoy has an almost headphone-like sound quality to it.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #4,030 of 7,998
I went to Canjam London today and the only surprise was the IE800. I know, I had just heard the Orpheus, but I listened to the IE800 and found the treble, mids and soundstage impressive. The bass, though, was flabby. Badly. They were being demoed out of a DAP that I didn't recognize. Was this just a question of the source not being up to the job?

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #4,031 of 7,998
  I went to Canjam London today and the only surprise was the IE800. I know, I had just heard the Orpheus, but I listened to the IE800 and found the treble, mids and soundstage impressive. The bass, though, was flabby. Badly. They were being demoed out of a DAP that I didn't recognize. Was this just a question of the source not being up to the job?

Probably the dap.The bass texture of ie800 is superb,the control is very good although it does have a slightly longer decay than the best armature iems but in no way would i call it flabby and does not interfere with mids whatsoever.I found different bass signature when connecting to N6,ZX2,dx90 e.t.c depending on the quality and quantity of the bass of each dap.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #4,032 of 7,998
Probably the dap.The bass texture of ie800 is superb,the control is very good although it does have a slightly longer decay than the best armature iems but in no way would i call it flabby and does not interfere with mids whatsoever.I found different bass signature when connecting to N6,ZX2,dx90 e.t.c depending on the quality and quantity of the bass of each dap.

Could also be the seal, not only the source.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #4,034 of 7,998
Thanks to Caruryn, pietcux and Dobrescu George for the helpful comments... I'm away from home now for a week or so, but will track down an IE800 when I return to the UK. I'll post my impressions.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #4,035 of 7,998
  Thanks to Caruryn, pietcux and Dobrescu George for the helpful comments... I'm away from home now for a week or so, but will track down an IE800 when I return to the UK. I'll post my impressions.

Can I suggest that you also audition the Flare Audio R2A and R2Pro before committing to the IE800. They are based in the UK and have just released their iems on Amazon UK but being 'local' you might be able to get an audition in house. They are based in Lancing, West Sussex. I have a pair of the R2As, the cheaper of the two options, and they blew me away. I've been reliably informed that buying the IE800 would not really be an upgrade on what I've got and a saving of several hundred pounds might be an enticement for you. Issues such as cable hardening, inability to try out different tips, etc for the IE800s might also be a positive factor.

The thread can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766183/flare-audio-r2pro-kickstarter-campaign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back