Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,956 of 7,998
  I'm picking up quite a bit of sibilance from these. Cymbals and other instruments aren't too much of an issue, but female vocals on the other hand, at times sound painful to listen to...

Anyone else experience this?

Not at all, but then I broke my set in the way a top audio engineer recommended with dynamic drivers. Very, very loud (so loud you can't hold the earphones 1in away from your ears comfortably) music, played on a varied playlist overnight. See if that helps settle things a bit. I do think the ie800 has a little lift in the vocal range, so it will authentically replicate the harsh sound on poorly mastered tracks.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,957 of 7,998
A tad too bright? Hmmmm maybe try the black filter mod "just remove the foam insert with a safety pin then put the foam to the side give it a listen maybe you'll like if not .....just reinsert the foam and they're back to the way they were...I've owned two pair of iE800 and they're very good but i just found myself preferring the SE846 especially more when running high res files or through the AK240 before I sold them as well...they even sounded fine out of my new iPad mini...but hey I still find the IE80s nice especially with upgraded cables, which is just something that they should've considered when releasing these, but I know they had their reasonings .......

You got rid of both?  Why?

What are you using now?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,958 of 7,998
  With the se846 it's mainly a game of tips to get the most out of them and get a sound to your liking.Try comply ts-100 and westone star tips.

I've ordered the Star tips (mix or silicon and foam).  Are the comply tips the best for foam tips?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,959 of 7,998

Not at all, but then I broke my set in the way a top audio engineer recommended with dynamic drivers. Very, very loud (so loud you can't hold the earphones 1in away from your ears comfortably) music, played on a varied playlist overnight. See if that helps settle things a bit. I do think the ie800 has a little lift in the vocal range, so it will authentically replicate the harsh sound on poorly mastered tracks.

I'll give this a try then. Thanks for the tip ^_^.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,961 of 7,998
Feb 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,962 of 7,998

I'm worried that I'm playing it loud enough that it'll damage the earbuds themselves.

Is it possible to even play these loud enough to damage them?

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,963 of 7,998

I've ordered the Star tips (mix or silicon and foam).  Are the comply tips the best for foam tips?

Different sound signatures.Order a mix since they do accentuate the bass response because of the spherical shape but overal i find they give a more balanced,musical sound and they tame the somewhat harsh treble of the stock olives.Haven't tried the foam westone.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,964 of 7,998
  Different sound signatures.Order a mix since they do accentuate the bass response because of the spherical shape but overal i find they give a more balanced,musical sound and they tame the somewhat harsh treble of the stock olives.Haven't tried the foam westone.

Great, thanks for the advice!

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,965 of 7,998

I'm worried that I'm playing it loud enough that it'll damage the earbuds themselves.

I've broke them in for 50 hours playing music and white noise at the same time at the loudest setting possible on my mac. Usually I listen to music at 2-3 out of 16 steps of the volume on the mac, but for breaking them in I've set the volume to max. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,966 of 7,998

No, not at the level I'm recommending for the time recommended.

The audio engineer designed dynamic driver iems for a big company. He said that playing for 100s of hours at medium volume does nothing. What he recommended was playing at a much higher volume for a shorter time to help the very stiff driver to settle in a bit.

My recommendation is still well below what would hurt the ie800.

Now, it'll still have its tuning and accurately give you what's in your music, even if the music was poorly mastered. Some recordings will have peaks and the ie800 will show you that. However, I do find that the real break-in I've suggested does help the ie800 to have the treble it's meant to have.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #2,967 of 7,998
No, not at the level I'm recommending for the time recommended.

The audio engineer designed dynamic driver iems for a big company. He said that playing for 100s of hours at medium volume does nothing. What he recommended was playing at a much higher volume for a shorter time to help the very stiff driver to settle in a bit.

My recommendation is still well below what would hurt the ie800.

Now, it'll still have its tuning and accurately give you what's in your music, even if the music was poorly mastered. Some recordings will have peaks and the ie800 will show you that. However, I do find that the real break-in I've suggested does help the ie800 to have the treble it's meant to have.

would this thing not happen either way when you first listen to them really loud?

for example, i feel the need to set the volume much higher with every headphone/iem when i am using it outside.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,968 of 7,998
  would this thing not happen either way when you first listen to them really loud?

for example, i feel the need to set the volume much higher with every headphone/iem when i am using it outside.

I think that the level he is recommending for break-in is well above what music should be listened to. It might even cause pain for some.
I'm doing as instructed, and I can't stand listening to it for more than 2 seconds when the IEMs are <1 inch away from my ear. It's loud enough that its presence can be heard in some areas in my house (albeit minute), even with doors shut.

If someone can actually withstand listening to music at this volume, they should probably get their ears checked.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,969 of 7,998

I think that the level he is recommending for break-in is well above what music should be listened to. It might even cause pain for some.
I'm doing as instructed, and I can't stand listening to it for more than 2 seconds when the IEMs are <1 inch away from my ear. It's loud enough that its presence can be heard in some areas in my house (albeit minute), even with doors shut.

If someone can actually withstand listening to music at this volume, they should probably get their ears checked.

nah!

i sometimes listen very high, but only for very short periods of time... like.. first few songs i listen need to be louder for me feel confortable, then, as my hearing adapts, i listen quieter. Sometimes i cannot listen to half the volume i listen normally to, and sometimes i listen to my headphones so loud.. it is something that i consider totally normal, i have read a lot on the matter, as long as you do not expose yourself for long times to loud noises you are fine. one way or another, i expose myself just about the time calculated to be safe, and i do this naturally. like, for example, at 100db spl, you should not expose yourself more than two hours... at 105 db you should not expose yourself for one hour straight...at 110 db you should keep under 30 minutes...

but back to the ie800, i was wondering if these high lveles of listening should not be enough for the driver to break in, i mean, i think that i understand how the driver membrane works, but i think that giving them way too much volume might displace the membrane, if the frequencies are very low. for example, a bassy track, dubstep or something that has digital produced bass at 20hz might endanger the iems if the volume of that bass is very high. 

but i am interested more in the question if this break in can actually occur at any time you push the volume, i mean, you buy, listen normally, and if you push the volume higher you kind of stretch the membrane, and then the process has taken place, right?

sorry for long post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back