Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 15, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,941 of 7,998
  Amazon is like WalMart.  You can return anything in any condition and they don't care.  Since they are so big, it is easier for them to just accept any return then to scrutinize every one.  That is why there is so much scamming on Amazon.  If you read any of the posts by Schiit founder Jason Stoddard, he has a chapter on scammers and Amazon.  People do things like buy a Lyr then when it gets delivered they claim they didn't receive it.  Then they proceed to post pictures of the item on their Facebook and Twitter.  One guy even claimed he didn't receive the item so Amazon refunded him and withdrew the money from Schiit's account, then the guy had the nerve to call Schiit and ask questions about the item he supposedly didn't receive. He even emailed them and asked for a replacement pair of tubes for an amp he was never supposed to receive.  Schiit sent all the proof to Amazon and they still told him they don't care--if the customer claims they didn't receive the item--they get refunded with no questions asked 100% of the time.  That is why I would never ever ever sell anything on Amazon or even Ebay.  Ebay does care a little and will do a little investigation at least; but it's best to only deal local with people in person if you can. Or buy and sell audio gear on Head-Fi with people who have a good reputation here as scamming doesn't seem to be prevalent here as it is on Amazon.  

I really think that it includes a risk if you do something like that. I mean, there would be a lot of people buying and saying that they did nor received their product, specially with expensive things, and they would win a lot of money.

About ie800, i understood that there are lots of fakes, already out. anyone ever heared how one of them sounds, compared to actual ie800? In ie8 threads, there was talk about fakes sounding not that bad, so i am curious, what sound do these fakes come with?

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,942 of 7,998
Just got these in the mail today.

Muddy and overrated. I'm quite disappointed in these pair of earbuds. Right out of the box, I gave them a quick listen, and the bass is muddy, the treble is clear all right, but the mids are recessed (to me, at least).

I'll burn them in for about a hundred hours or so before giving them another listen, but I'm not too impressed with this first impression of them. I think they're just overhyped on here.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,943 of 7,998

Muddy and overrated. I'm quite disappointed in these pair of earbuds. Right out of the box, I gave them a quick listen, and the bass is muddy, the treble is clear all right, but the mids are recessed (to me, at least).

I'll burn them in for about a hundred hours or so before giving them another listen, but I'm not too impressed with this first impression of them. I think they're just overhyped on here.

What IEM are you coming from?  You must have a bad pair.  I would call the IE800 anything but muddy sounding.  Good grief.....

They will NOT change with burn in.  It is not that kind of driver.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,944 of 7,998

What IEM are you coming from?  You must have a bad pair.  I would call the IE800 anything but muddy sounding.  Good grief.....

They will NOT change with burn in.  It is not that kind of driver.

SE846.

For an AMP/DAC, I'm using either the AQ Dragonfly 1.2 or iBasso MK2.

Before someone says it's a fake.. I ordered from BestBuy and the item was shipped to me directly from Sennheiser.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,945 of 7,998

Maybe you bought a fake pair? lol

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #2,947 of 7,998
Please.......give it some time.  SE846 is easily the most forward (midrange) sounding IEM in the world.  To the point where I find it painful to listen to above 85dB.

Give your ears a good 45 min or so to adjust to the new sound.  While preference may be SE846, technically, IE800 destroys SE846.    Not even a fair fight.  Resolution, clarity, detail, soundstage....... How are you not enjoying the more airy open sound?  Bass is chunkier with SE846 but better textured with IE800.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,948 of 7,998
  Please.......give it some time.  SE846 is easily the most forward (midrange) sounding IEM in the world.  To the point where I find it painful to listen to above 85dB.

Give your ears a good 45 min or so to adjust to the new sound.  While preference may be SE846, technically, IE800 destroys SE846.    Not even a fair fight.  Resolution, clarity, detail, soundstage....... How are you not enjoying the more airy open sound?  Bass is chunkier with SE846 but better textured with IE800.

Listened to them for a good hour and a half.

Damn it. Now I need to sell my SE846s.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,950 of 7,998
  So what does that mean? the IE800 sounds better now?

It has a very different sound signature from the SE846s, but I'm starting to pick up on the added detail the IE800s are capable of producing. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s; I guess that was what I felt was off putting.

I shouldn't really start jumping the gun on these yet though. I'll keep listening to them and make a decision in a week or two.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,951 of 7,998

It has a very different sound signature from the SE846s, but I'm starting to pick up on the added detail the IE800s are capable of producing. The mids aren't as forward as the SE846s; I guess that was what I felt was off putting.

I shouldn't really start jumping the gun on these yet though. I'll keep listening to them and make a decision in a week or two.

I'm really interested in your opinion.  I got the se846 and didn't bother ordering the ie800 to compare.  But I always wonder.  That's what I hate about this hobby, can't just simply go into a store and try them.

I convinced myself that the microphonics is why I made the right decision.  What do you think?  Also I heard a lot of people say the highs are harsh/fatiguing (I'm sensitive to that), but I'm finding the 846 are a tad too bright for me too :frowning2:.  I tried the warm filters, but to me it degrades the SQ.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #2,952 of 7,998
I'm really interested in your opinion.  I got the se846 and didn't bother ordering the ie800 to compare.  But I always wonder.  That's what I hate about this hobby, can't just simply go into a store and try them.

I convinced myself that the microphonics is why I made the right decision.  What do you think?  Also I heard a lot of people say the highs are harsh/fatiguing (I'm sensitive to that), but I'm finding the 846 are a tad too bright for me too :frowning2:.  I tried the warm filters, but to me it degrades the SQ.

A tad too bright? Hmmmm maybe try the black filter mod "just remove the foam insert with a safety pin then put the foam to the side give it a listen maybe you'll like if not .....just reinsert the foam and they're back to the way they were...I've owned two pair of iE800 and they're very good but i just found myself preferring the SE846 especially more when running high res files or through the AK240 before I sold them as well...they even sounded fine out of my new iPad mini...but hey I still find the IE80s nice especially with upgraded cables, which is just something that they should've considered when releasing these, but I know they had their reasonings .......

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #2,953 of 7,998

With the se846 it's mainly a game of tips to get the most out of them and get a sound to your liking.Try comply ts-100 and westone star tips.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #2,954 of 7,998
I'm picking up quite a bit of sibilance from these. Cymbals and other instruments aren't too much of an issue, but female vocals on the other hand, at times sound painful to listen to...

Anyone else experience this?

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,955 of 7,998
I'm picking up quite a bit of sibilance from these. Cymbals and other instruments aren't too much of an issue, but female vocals on the other hand, at times sound painful to listen to...

Anyone else experience this?

I didn't so much when I had them I found them very clear crystal clear to be exact highs and lows were nice for me just didn't totally grab that sub bass rumble feel of a home JL sub in a proper set up...if you haven't had them long give them time to burn in and maybe you'll find a differnt view of them once they've been broken in....I just felt the SE846 dug deeper when called upon in the track....the highs to me with the iE800s were nice and not too harsh when broken in ....it also depends on material being played through them as well as device being used even though they play nicely with most gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back