Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,914 of 7,998
  This is all a conspiracy.  The IEM has been out 18 months or so.  200 pages of posts....no cable issues.  Then, all of the sudden in the past 3 weeks everyone that has ever owned or listened to the IE800....the cables just harden and split in your hands.  Crazy ****.

Haha have you even read this thread at all?  And not just on head-fi, another not-to-be-mentioned audio website has well documented the cable hardening issues with the IE800s.  If you contact Sennheiser and say your cable has hardened, they will instantly tell you to mail them in and they will ship out new ones.  They are aware of the problem and there are no questions asked.  I love the headphones, but the cable issue is definitely real.  Not to say you shouldn't buy them; just make sure you buy them from an authorized seller who will give you a receipt. It's probably a 50/50 chance if you get the cable issue; but if you do--you definitely need a receipt.  Better yet, email ALO Audio and ask them about their modified IE800s.  I did and asked what happens if the cable hardens; they said yes it is known to happen and there's really nothing that can be done.  If you buy modified ones, you are out of luck as obviously Sennheiser will not warranty them.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,915 of 7,998
  This is all a conspiracy.  The IEM has been out 18 months or so.  200 pages of posts....no cable issues.  Then, all of the sudden in the past 3 weeks everyone that has ever owned or listened to the IE800....the cables just harden and split in your hands.  Crazy ****.

There is cable issue, it won't affect sound quality anyway, just hardeded and it does not feel good

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,916 of 7,998
The sound quality is not affected by the cable issue, but they become absolutely unusable.  The cables are stiff like a piece of metal wire.  If I turn my head slightly, they pop right out.  I've been dealing with Craig at Whiplash Audio.  He modifies the IE800s by removing all of the stock wire and patching his TWag or TWau cable straight into the speakers themselves.  Someone posted a picture of one that they found on Ebay. So you get the best of both worlds.  You can pick which one of his wires you want, you can have it terminated in the plug of your choosing and you will never have to worry about the cable hardening issue.  Also you won't have to deal with that stupid 2.5mm heavy connector that Sennheiser decided to include in the middle of the cable for some weird reason.  I will post some pictures when I get mine back in a week or so.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,917 of 7,998
  The sound quality is not affected by the cable issue, but they become absolutely unusable.  The cables are stiff like a piece of metal wire.  If I turn my head slightly, they pop right out.  I've been dealing with Craig at Whiplash Audio.  He modifies the IE800s by removing all of the stock wire and patching his TWag or TWau cable straight into the speakers themselves.  Someone posted a picture of one that they found on Ebay. So you get the best of both worlds.  You can pick which one of his wires you want, you can have it terminated in the plug of your choosing and you will never have to worry about the cable hardening issue.  Also you won't have to deal with that stupid 2.5mm heavy connector that Sennheiser decided to include in the middle of the cable for some weird reason.  I will post some pictures when I get mine back in a week or so.  

very interesting, can I ship my existing ie800 to them for mod?

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #2,918 of 7,998
Yes, that is what I did.  Sent him my pair with the hard cables.  So you just buy whatever cable you want.  Go to his website at whiplash audio and email him.  Nicest guy ever and he can custom make any cable you want for them.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,919 of 7,998

this is a piece of information so good to have for all the ie800 users. thank you so much for sharing with us this solution!

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #2,922 of 7,998

Does both the cables get stiff? The bottom cable and the cable attached to the earphones?

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,923 of 7,998
Is there anything I can do to keep the tips from disconnecting? Or do I need to send them in for repair?

Try swapping the tips from one side to the other.  This will help determine if there is a flaw in the one tip.  If it comes off in the other ear, then it is likely the tip.  If so, you can contact them about a replacement tip.  Might not have to ship the entire product back ... maybe.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,924 of 7,998
  Does both the cables get stiff? The bottom cable and the cable attached to the earphones?

The first generation ie800 the entire cable was stiff, almost clothes hanger stiff.   The next gen the cable only seems to stiffen on the upper left near the driver.   The stiffness is problematic because it pushes up and can feel uncomfortable and possibly completely dislodge.   There might be 3rd gen that does not have this problem at all.   Might be more like finding a unicorn though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back